The New Raith Rovers Thread

If there's a reason to avoid promotion its lex and his st mirren cronies entering every single thread that doesn't concern them,and then turning it into a snidefest.

As for offering 75 grand,i highly doubt it. We're more skint than a paisley burds knees.

Edited by Nizzy

If there's a reason to avoid promotion its lex and his st mirren cronies entering every single thread that doesn't concern them,and then turning it into a snidefest.

As for offering 75 grand,i highly doubt it. We're more skint than a paisley burds knees.

Have a greeny

• 2 weeks later...

Open Meeting in the Raith Suite on September 29th. Buckets time?

Hmmm, difficult to tell. There's probably going to be a bit of that but the board may also be trying to be seen as communicating with the fans, as the board are always taking a slagging for poor communication.

The board of directors of Raith Rovers Football Club would like to invite supporters to an open meeting in the Raith Suite at Stark's Park on Thursday 29th September at 7pm.

There are significant challenges facing the whole of Scottish football in the current economic conditions, and in a spirit of openness and transparency, directors wish to set out how these are affecting our club as a member of the SFL 1st Division, which is undoubtedly the most difficult operating environment of all. Afterwards, there will be an open Question and Answer session to give fans the opportunity to raise any specific issues on their mind.

Good that the board wish to communicate with the fans. However, I am a bit concerned as to the reasons for the chat, given the statement notes 'significant challenges', 'current economic conditions', 'undoubtedly the most difficult operating environment of all'. Doesn't give the impression of good news.

Anyone going?

Edited by Scary Bear

Hmm, I can imagine this will be bad news. However, it's nice that the board have arranged this, as we all know that information at Starks Park is kept in such a way that it utterly shames the Official Secrets Act.

I think I'll head along. I highly doubt I'll be doing anything else that night and I'm unhappy with what I perceive to be poor financial stewardship from the club. I can't base this on anything official, so it'll be good to hear their side of it.

Edited by Michael W

I'd far rather the board came right out and said 'right, we're fucked financially to this extent' rather than sitting and dwelling on it before it comes to light. I won't be at the meeting, but it won't be due to a lack of interest, rather down to where I live. I do hope that we as a fan base can take things forward and look to progress, rather than expecting the usual suspects to come up with all the fundraising ideas.

If things really are bad enough for us to need to get the begging bowls out with the size of squad and standard of player in the squad, then just what the f**k have the board been playing at these past few seasons?.

We have had season on season progression which is obviously going to cost more money season on season and if our finances are in such a precarious state then there really does have to be some serious questions asked. This is all hearsay of course as no one knows exactly what the meeting is all about.

So are there any steps they could take to try and address that situation / perception, without you dismissing it as a publicity stunt?

No. I've been a Rovers fan for many years and I've contacted the club several times raising issues, in a positive manner, and have never had a single acknowledgement, let alone a reply. I know other people with the same experience. In that time the club has had several boards and theyve all been the same. Maybe thats also true of the boards of most clubs, consisting of hard nosed business men. Whatever, they dont consider common courtesy to be to their advantage; if they purport to show interest in fans its really their cash theyre after, or maybe the odd snow clearing on a Saturday morning. If we fans have an issue we can forget it.

I suppose you can say it was fan pressure that got rid of Anelka, and maybe even Dalziel, but thats debatable, and even so it would be because of dwindling gates.

Edited by Big Berk

Reported in papers that we are going to announce a loss of £80,000 for last season. Directors claiming that the ref's strike is partly to blame.

I know we lost the game against Dundee on a Saturday because of it but that surely can equate even a half of the loss.

Serious questions need to be asked as to why we have suffered such a huge loss in a season when we had big crowds and match day revenue against Dundee, Dunfermline and even Cowdenbeath. What situation would we be in now if we hadn't over-performed and instead had a mid to low table finish?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2011/09/15/refs-strike-hurts-raith-rovers-as-club-announces-80k-losses-86908-23421402/

What situation would we be in now if we hadn't over-performed and instead had a mid to low table finish?

Exactly. Our average was up 500 last season. An extra 500 every single game. And we lost £80,000. Hutton's probably correct when he says the ref strike lost us about £30,000 but it's hardly the sole reason we've lost so much.

We also had a couple of "unbudgeted for" cup ties with Hamilton and Aberdeen that, while hardly the biggest money-spinners ever, would've brought in a good few thousand too. What on earth happened?

Exactly. Our average was up 500 last season. An extra 500 every single game. And we lost £80,000. Hutton's probably correct when he says the ref strike lost us about £30,000 but it's hardly the sole reason we've lost so much.

We also had a couple of "unbudgeted for" cup ties with Hamilton and Aberdeen that, while hardly the biggest money-spinners ever, would've brought in a good few thousand too. What on earth happened?

Doubt Hamilton would have made that much for us. A midweek game against a team, who from what I can remember, didn't bring that much of a support at all to us. The Aberdeen game was a crowd of 6,000, which given 50% (or there abouts) should come to us for a cup game means that it could be accounted for. Bearing in mind we brought in Gary Wales, and more particularly Kevin McBride in during the second half of the season then we should take that into account too. Outwith that, a lack of progression in the Scottish Cup, and the lack of appeal to people over the course of the season for whatever reason (largely price related I'd imagine).

The reality of course, is that the club has a better picture than any of us for the state of our finances. The frustrating thing is when I talk to my friends at home on friday nights. The majority of them last season were saying they went to a few games, had a good time at some but at others the product didn't justify spending £17 each game when it could descend into a poor game, particularly like the first home game against Stirling. Sadly, it appears to be an issue which is recurring, but difficult for the club to make the move to reduce prices.