The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yes, it's a scheme recently revived after being punted for about ten years. Should happen every week and should always have been the case. I'm not sure how the thing works now but then I was at primary there was a spell whereby maybe three or four times a season your school would be given a certain number of free tickets for a game, let's say ten. In the morning two youth players would run a wee coaching session at Balwearie, and in the afternoon you'd go to the game. There'd be kids from other schools there too, 20-30 in total. On a personal level I would probably have been going anyway as ever since I was 3 or 4 I've been fascinated by football, but that's thirty kids every week who could go onto become long-term fans, and who probably wouldn't go anyway. And at what cost to the club? Virtually nothing. A bit of willingness on the part of the youth players and Balwearie High.

Contrast that to what we've done for young kids for the last seven or eight years, the very occasional game withstanding.... "come to the game, that's £8 please". Who the f**k's surprised there isn't a new generation of fans? It's been brought back but it was nonsensical to get rid of it, and we won't see the results for a few years. The board have actually tried a few things this season and that is to their credit, but not doing anything for years on end has been hugely damaging.

Another point about kids going would be the price. £9 for a sixteen year old... it's embarrassing. The £17 for adults I can just about stomach, "everyone else does it", we need the money, etc. For many of us there's also the loyalty/guilt factor involved with it. What about for a kid wanting to go try the football, see what it's like? I realise there's a parent and child gate but that only really serves people who's Dad/family member supports the Rovers. What about someone who wants to go with their mates at fourteen, fifteen, sixteen? £9 each? Again, I recognise it's a nationwide issue and were we to cut the prices it might not make an immediate difference to numbers. But then that's the problem. The hand-to-mouth existence demands short-term generation of cash. The damage we've caused long-term cannot be solved.

I remember that scheme as well. That was when John Brownlie was our youth coach. It cost nothing and got a lot of kids going who you know otherwise wouldn't have gone.

As for the rest of your post I completely agree.

What we need to be doing in this day and age is looking at the successful models of other clubs youth systems and looking at a way of adapting that to our own conditions in the hope that we can start producing youth products much like livingston, falkirk etc have done. At the end of the day this is the way scottish football is going and what do we genuinly have to lose adopting such a method?.

What we need to be doing in this day and age is looking at the successful models of other clubs youth systems and looking at a way of adapting that to our own conditions in the hope that we can start producing youth products much like livingston, falkirk etc have done. At the end of the day this is the way scottish football is going and what do we genuinly have to lose adopting such a method?.

Ehh, the last prospects of your solvency? Falkirk have built a youth system because the Council handed them a free stadium, Livingston's is a direct consequence of financial cheating (now in the third cycle), Hamilton's too is based on a substantial outlay and debt owed to their chairman.

Ehh, the last prospects of your solvency? Falkirk have built a youth system because the Council handed them a free stadium, Livingston's is a direct consequence of financial cheating (now in the third cycle), Hamilton's too is based on a substantial outlay and debt owed to their chairman.

You`ll miss us when we go...you know you will, you will end up with Cowden or Arbroath with ten fans each and shitloads of attitude. Who after throwing them a couple of bones will bite at the drop of a hat and become tiresome. Where we have a wealth of underachievers just waiting for the hook.

The council handed us a free stand, not a free stadium.

You`ll miss us when we go...you know you will, you will end up with Cowden or Arbroath with ten fans each and shitloads of attitude.

I'd rather go to Raith than Cowden but rather Arbroath than either. Can't say fairer than that.

I'd rather go to Raith than Cowden but rather Arbroath than either. Can't say fairer than that.

Ya smokie luvin b*****d...always said there was something fishy about you.....Gayfield the home of hypothermia, once had to get the stewards, to let me take my kids back to the car,had to get the heater on at half time, you must be mad. Mind you another one of the doooom places for us...there`s so many now you know.

Edited by RRFC2711

Can't say I blame you. Arbroath's a cracking trip.

Another chance to gain an elusive win slips by. It's become pretty much essential that we win at least one of our two home matches before the Ayr and queens matches.

On paper there's no reason we shouldn't get four wins from our next four games. In reality I'll be surprised if we get four points.

Other teams have sacked better for managers and been in much better positions than ourselves.

I'm sorry but I've really had it with McGlynn now. He is tactically clueless and his loyalty for certain players in getting beyond a joke. How can Hamill constantly play 90mins every week. I do more going for my morning dump that he has done all season. Walker has been slightly better recently but to be honest that wasn't hard.

We are top of the U19 SFL Youth League yet McGlynn never uses any of them. What was all this talk at the start of the season of having a squad of 14 supplemented by youth players? Apart from Donaldson about 3 others have got the 1 sub appearance under them. It's shocking! We have budget cut-backs so lets utilise what we have. Every other team is doing it apart from us.

There is the talk that we can't afford the compensation to let go of McGlynn. Well, I think we might lose a hell of a lot more if/when we are relegated. At least we have some sort of crowd against Dundee and Falkirk this season and with Cowden up and either Hibs or Pars coming down there should be an increase next season. Look at the attendances in the 2nd this season. They rarely break 1000. If we thought it was bad this season what will our budget be like in the 2nd?

It's time for a change. Ross County did it last season and managed to survive when they looked like they might drop and couldn't buy a goal. Now look at them.

I get the (depressing) feeling I'm going to make this post after a lot of losses between now and the end of the season, but I'm still putting my support fully behind John McGlynn.

I think he's got his head screwed on, he's fully aware of the task at hand, and there's nobody better to take the club forward.

We're almost in the situation now where the results on the pitch are second to the results on the balance sheet.

It's not pretty watching the Rovers at the moment, but there's not a manager in the world who could change that. We've seen from a thousand sources that John McGlynn is one of the hardest working managers in the country, and I think hard work is just about all we can ask for at the moment.

The whole club needs to be stripped back even further than it has been already, and that's not an easy job for anyone. John McGlynn is fully aware of the situation, and no doubt has plans in place. If McGlynn was sacked, the next person to take the job would have to be ridiculously brave or ridiculously stupid.

"Would you like to step into this club where there is absolutely no money, no squad beyond the end of the season and that has just sacked the Manager of the Year?"

You could probably find someone like Jimmy Calderwood who'd step in until the end of the season and try to keep the club up, almost for the prestige more than anything else. If he succeeds, great, if he fails, well it's not his fault the club was always doomed. There's no way he'd stay for the season after that, though, so you'd go back to trying to find a manager to take on a team with no budget and no players.

Now is not the time for short-termism. We have to play the long game, and I'd much rather entrust that to John McGlynn than anyone else I can think of. Perhaps there's a standout candidate that I've overlooked, but I doubt it.

Hello John

Sorry but results are important for the balance sheet.

12 wins or is it 11 in a calendar year yet McGlynns the man to take the club forward?Not disputing hes a hard worker but thats a given surely.

It's not pretty watching the Rovers at the moment, but there's not a manager in the world who could change that. We've seen from a thousand sources that John McGlynn is one of the hardest working managers in the country, and I think hard work is just about all we can ask for at the moment.

Not disputing hes a hard worker but thats a given surely.Yes we have been blighted by our budget but its not what you have its how you organise what you have. I think we could ask for more, like an organised, motivated, hard working side

Agree the club need stripped back and that includes the manager

We're almost in the situation now where the results on the pitch are second to the results on the balance sheet.

We're certainly in a situation however where results on the pitch are going to f**k us up for five years. Relegation with the Pars or Hibs coming down, Cowden possibly going up, and Dundee and Falkirk remaining is an unmitigated disaster.

Maybe then if McGlynn could motivate the side to work as hard as him we'd be fine then. There's no evidence of hard work on the pitch. I'm not being melodramatic and saying they don't care, but outside of professional pride and courtesy, there's little else there. They're doing their job and no more.

The whole club needs to be stripped back even further than it has been already, and that's not an easy job for anyone. John McGlynn is fully aware of the situation, and no doubt has plans in place. If McGlynn was sacked, the next person to take the job would have to be ridiculously brave or ridiculously stupid.

McGlynn's contract is up at the end of the season. Based on current form, would you renew it? Based on constant cuts, do you think McGlynn would accept a new deal?

It isn't a conversation that anyone will want to have, but in my opinion we should absolutely be asking John McGlynn right now what his intentions are at the end of the season, and forcing an answer out of him as well. If he intends to leave, get rid now, because he's had long enough to show he can keep us up - he's shown nothing. The team is dreadful, and they're showing no signs of getting out of this mess. Those players have more to give than they currently are giving, and for that you can only look at the manager. If we were just not good enough I'd accept the situation a little more freely but the players are playing well below themselves at the moment.

Based on current form McGlynn should undoubtedly be sacked. He should've been sacked weeks ago in fact. Taking his history and our whole situation into account it makes things a little bit tougher but I don't see how the club can afford to be relegated to the Second Division without returning to the kind of spending we had under Dalziel i.e. less than teams like Forfar and Stranraer. If we can avoid it we should do it by any means necessary. If that means taking a risk on a new man, then sorry, I'd be happy to take it.

Our next four are crucial. Maybe McGlynn will pull it out the bag. Or maybe we'll be gone. Who knows? What I do know is that the team on the park has continually failed this season, and is continuing to do just that. The blame for that, unfortunately, can only lie with the manager.

Edited by Paco

Loving this John McGlynn is a hard worker, its like the keepers a good shot stopper, the boy has a good engine, blah blah blah

I'd rather than someone who was good than a hard worker.

Mr Blower your surgeon today has a 50% success rate, but he's a hard worker, and he's media friendly, eh no thanks give me the lazy arrogant surgeon with a better success rate please.

I doubt McGlynn will be sacked, he will see out his contract and it will not be renewed, I can imagine the ill informed press going nuts about us sacking last years manager of the year.

I remember posting on here that last season was like the 80/1 season, this has turned out to be a car crash like 81/2 hopefully with the same ending, as in avoiding relegation, not as in giving the manager another year.