The New Raith Rovers Thread

Watched Murray’s interview from last night. Still fully behind him being our manager. Understands the game well, acknowledges that it wasn’t good enough, acknowledges the supporters frustrations. Says how they’ve watched countless set pieces back, worked on man marking and zonal. But ultimately it’s up to the players to do their job when they cross the white line…he can’t do it for them. 100% correct.

Talked about looking at next season already as well, saying we definitely need a bit more steel about us. Never mentioned a striker though, which slightly worried me. 😂😂

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I'd forgotten about that. 

He'll rock up at another championship club then I'd imagine. I think O'Hara might be on fairly large wages at us but there's not a chance he's matching then anywhere. 

Can't blame you given its not even our biggest controversy in the last 3 years. O'Hara has a decent track record against us. Not quite Keatings or Agnew but still doing well enough to notice.

Interesting, but ultimately nothing of any material value at this point. 

To summarise, he's basically suggesting that rather than there being a buyout on the horizon, the close season will likely see "a team" of new faces joining the board, with more of an emphasis on the skills and experience they can bring rather than monetary investment. 

On the one hand, it rules out a Queen's Park style cash-laden charge to the top of the league next season, but also hopefully removes the possibility of the club falling into the hands of some mad Walter Mitty character. 

Watching the Sim video and recording my impressions:

”These things happen” about last night

”Status quo”, not acceptable

”Outside investor”, concerned about flip-it mentality

”Local investor”, one investor pack completed and returned

”Fairly confident there will be new people involved in the closed season”, “bringing experience” rather than money.

”Extensive premier league experience” from a  person joining by months end…which premier league?

”We do need a CEO…who knows the football experience”…close to signing one with experience, including retail.

He’s rattling on a lot about bringing people in, and there’s lots of talk of commitment…”will it happen, it’s getting closer”…but then he tosses out “hopefully within the next six weeks” they’ll be announcing a new team that is bringing in expertise vs money. But, we need money.

We’ve tried before, but we need to find the right people (shot at former CEO?).

How will this impact the manager/team? We’ve added full time analytics and the catapult tracking system. The people coming in “have a system they want to help us introduce at Raith…it’s about benchmarking, it’s about stats”. “Young hungry players…you can have more players” because they are less expensive.

”I’m not involved in selecting players”, but I feel we’re gonna be going with younger players.

Lost £100,000 in year ending May 2022…profit in previous two years.

Horrific injury season, failures to properly fix on first go.

£500,000 stadium repair bill is still there, will be addressed incrementally. Looking to invest in a way that raises revenue.

Young players are not looking for a lovely stadium, young players want to see investment in the dressing rooms, etc.

Need to separate hospitality from players in the Main Stand on match day. Back to we need to increase revenue.

Closed hopeful that they are bringing in people with football experience versus other business experience they try to fit football into.

Overall, mostly upbeat, Sim is going nowhere, I’d say.

Reasonably positive interview, I could sense a tinge of excitement in Sim’s discussions on the new additions…well as enthusiastic as you can get from Sim!

I will admit to the mention of building a bigger squad of younger players giving me the fear. Just makes me think of a bloated squad filled with Connor McBride types rather than any real quality but hopefully it’s just misplaced pessimism on my part.

So new people perhaps coming in who will bring so called expertise but limited cash. So are they taking control and how do they get paid. Nobody does something for nothing.

Playing budget totally dodged but dis say we are looking at cheaper younger players rather than experience which we are crying out for. He did say ask Ian Murray so over to Raith TV.

It's good that he came on and spoke as an owner should do but never really made us aware of the ownership moving forward and never got asked anything more about the one interested party.

7 minutes ago, Dalziel8 said:

What I took from it is that we are likely to be trying to sign released youth team players who are hungry to stay in full time football but won’t command high salaries. 

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, we're fucked.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Generally decent and positive interview, but the quote around younger players  could prove to be mildly terrifying.

Yea, I get the feeling from his comment about older players having families to support that we’re gonna double down on cheap players. Based upon that, if Spencer doesn’t opt-in, he’ll be gone…expect to see Mitchell, Masson and Young signed soon…Connolly and MacDonald will depart and I’d worry about Lang and Dick too.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yea, I get the feeling from his comment about older players having families to support that we’re gonna double down on cheap players. Based upon that, if Spencer doesn’t opt-in, he’ll be gone…expect to see Mitchell, Masson and Young signed soon…Connolly and MacDonald will depart and I’d worry about Lang and Dick too.

I think there’s a bit of a difference between “focus is on young players” and some sort of literal “we won’t play anybody over the age of 26” interpretation.

Edited by Enigma

Thought it was really quite upbeat, no cataclysmic own goals and a sense that JS is working well with the incoming partners.

Very clear it's a favoured route he is describing. Maybe more to their interest than he can say at this point. Local and seem to understand maybe support Rovers. 

It's an owners update which is what we have been screaming out for. Mention of the AGM so maybe more to say there as well. 

My fear was no preferred bidder or only a Silverbear loke clan leaving his to face next season with a hugely reduced budget.  That doesn't seem to be the case.

Some stadium investment too so doesn't sound like a short term deal. 

The younger player option didn't sound like a squad of under 21's to me so will wait for the next chapter.

Happy with this interview, good club communication.  It was only a short time ago I was hiding behind the couch when I heard Sim had spoken. 

Just now, Enigma said:

Think there’s a bit of a difference between “focus is on young players” and literally “we won’t play anybody over the age of 26”

He was very emphatic on the point that older player with families cost more and we need to be using younger, hungrier players.

Look at the roster and tell me who you think of as older players with families?