The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

This is the way to go. And to be fair to the BOD this is what they tried at the start of this season, probably just made the wrong call with the Railway Stand but that’s easy to say with hindsight.

Think other clubs were it works the young team has more of an identity. They have a name and seem to be organised, have banners and the like. Don’t think it’s that organised at RRFC.  

I think had the Railway Stand section closest to the home end been the part used, it would have been much more successful than the other end. I think this is partly why Barrowman has talked a lot about getting the stand sorted and safe standing etc. 

38 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I think had the Railway Stand section closest to the home end been the part used, it would have been much more successful than the other end. I think this is partly why Barrowman has talked a lot about getting the stand sorted and safe standing etc. 

I think if the home end of the R/W stand was open it'd be full of season ticket holders, it's where mine used to be.

Perfect solution would be to re-open that section (won't happen) and set up a rear corner/quarter as the standing / singing section.

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

My 11 for Saturday after listening to Murray’s interview, Big Kev… Brown, Watson, Murray, Dick.. Brown, Byrne…. Mullin, Stanton, Vaughan and Hamilton 

You mean Friday night. 

38 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I think if the home end of the R/W stand was open it'd be full of season ticket holders, it's where mine used to be.

Perfect solution would be to re-open that section (won't happen) and set up a rear corner/quarter as the standing / singing section.

I remember my first matches in the late 80s/early 90s were in that stand. Was fantastic.

6 hours ago, renton said:

Aye, and?

6 hours ago, Wardy said:

Pretty sure Millen was quoted that he preferred the number 4 jersey when he signed. Nothing in it at all whatsoever.  

That’s fine, as it was available anyway, but it’s a possible clue, combined with the RaithTV interview, of how Brown sees himself…and perhaps how IM described his role.

4 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Illya Kuryakin's number, big shoes to fill.

Given that thought, since Murray looks like he’s been ensnared by a Rover most of the time, that makes sense.

Railway stand has always been the best view in the stadium Imo. Can understand why it was left to rot with our crowds not needing to have every stand open but it's a shame it's taken this long to really be considered for being brought back up to standard and used again. 

Just now, grumswall said:

Railway stand has always been the best view in the stadium Imo. Can understand why it was left to rot with our crowds not needing to have every stand open but it's a shame it's taken this long to really be considered for being brought back up to standard and used again. 

Turnbull Hutton used to say 'there's no point doing anything with the Railway Stand when the South Stand is half empty'

Maybe, just maybe, this is the tipping point.

16 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Turnbull Hutton used to say 'there's no point doing anything with the Railway Stand when the South Stand is half empty'

Maybe, just maybe, this is the tipping point.

He was right when saying that and hopefully you are right also. 

Look forward to the home end of the railway stand being converted into a safe standing area.  Rail seating to be fitted (not that the seats will ever be used lol) but the crush barrier built in.  Been like this for a long time in Germany and is very successful.  

The concrete will need to be removed and regulation width terracing built to accommodate the rail seating as the current concrete is rotten and also not wide enough steps to accomodate safe standing.  

I will be moving into there with my season tickets when it opens.  I have hated Starks Park since they removed the terracing and replaced with the monstrosities behind each goal.  It will be brilliant to watch the game how it should be.  Standing up and from the side of the pitch.

Another bonus will be pressurising the linesmen like used to happen, especially be good when that Tory 'leader' b@rsteward is running the line....

36 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I can understand why the railway stand was taken out of use, but absolutely no excuse for the state of decay it was allowed to get into.

2 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

The concrete will need to be removed and regulation width terracing built to accommodate the rail seating as the current concrete is rotten and also not wide enough steps to accomodate safe standing. 

I think that’s the primary problem, when combined with Network Rail’s requirements due to the construction being within their area of “control”. Anything done that might impact the embankment or rail traffic needs their permission and, potentially, a huge fee if it has to shutdown.

Looking at the SM stand, it seems that could be converted to safe standing with rail chairs as is…so finding a way to continue that concrete form across the whole of the old Railway Stand is likely the solution…but that would result in a small and lower “lump” of concrete supporting the overhead and embankment. I suspect there’s been plenty of discussion across the years, so hopefully a workable plan has been developed. 

28 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I can understand why the railway stand was taken out of use, but absolutely no excuse for the state of decay it was allowed to get into.

What is the state of play with it? I know it’s not been used for years but is the building itself an issue?

28 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Although I agree with you, it would have been money diverted from other places with no potential return on that investment. 

Sim has spoken for a few years now about wanting to do something with it and now the new guys apparently see the appeal to it and considering their ambition with everything I can see there being moves to finally get fans back in there, hopefully. Maybe Potter is just getting lonely sat in there on his own every other week. 

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

I had a season ticket there during the 96/97 season and the view was good (i was just about level with the half way line) but i found myself wanting back behind the goals. I miss the enclosure being used, me and my mates would sit between the dugouts on the small wall they had there. Even pop our head around to speak to some of the players (home and away) that were usually quite sound.

19 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Although I agree with you, it would have been money diverted from other places with no potential return on that investment. 

Basic maintenance of the roofing and plumbing would have saved fortunes in the long run and  it could have been brought into use when required - Airdrie generally don't open the stands behind the goals at their ground, but they're obviously maintained to a level that they can be opened instantly, as in last Sunday v Hearts.