The New Raith Rovers Thread

Read on the league predictions thread that it’s Partick and Livi that are also trying to get Byrne to sign.

Would be disappointing if we lost out on him to anyone else in the division. Local lad who apparently really enjoyed his spell on loan with us.

Would imagine we could match anything financially so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. I’d have expected Murray / Potter to be trying to get him tied down. 

Just about recovered from my 22 and a half hour round trip to Dingwall on Sunday. The game spoke for itself, County had a game plan and executed it perfectly whilst we struggled to break them down. The atmosphere behind the goal was great I thought, even when down by so many goals - glad the team were supported to the end after this season. Disappointing to hear about issues that have once again arisen due to the young team. Does add a sour note on what should've been a great day out for supporters regardless of the result. Not sure what the club can do but feel like it definitely needs to be addressed. That boy who launched the smoke bomb into the County end should be banned for life from entering another stadium in Scotland, as should the fannies who decided to rip the lights from the ceiling on the staircase in the stand which will cost the club.

Looking forward, very happy to have Fordyce signed up. Exactly what we've been missing and a real statement of intent I reckon. If the chat of Stevenson is true, that'll also add some much needed experience to the back line. He might not have the same pace he once did but we've seen with Berra, Steven Anderson and even Keith Watson (when fit) how beneficial that experience and game knowledge can be as you go down the divisions even when you're a yard or two slower than your prime.

Really happy with the Fordyce signing.  Genuinely, as soon as I saw the announcement regarding him leaving Airdrie I had a feeling he was headed our way.  I have no doubt Airdrie wanted to keep him and, especially with him also being assistant manager, that left only a few clubs where he could likely be headed.  Murray having managed him before was another thing that pointed to him coming to us.

The issue with the singing section is a tough one.  There's no doubt it causes issues when they just sit wherever they want and, even when they do have an organised section, others come along and sit in the seats around them anyway regardless of where they had tickets.  For most away games it shouldn't be an issue as there's normally plenty of room.  However, if it's a sell out, it only works if everyone sits in their allocated seat.  I shouldn't have to get there an hour early to make sure I can actually get a seat next to my son.  Also, if I buy my seat early, I'm choosing the seat I want to sit in and I'm absolutely going to be telling someone to move if they're in it.  I see a lot on twitter from England too about "real fans not bothering about allocated seats" and quite frankly they can f**k off with that pish.

The solution would seem to be some organisation by the club in allocating a section to them.  For away games, where they don't control sales, this will obviously only be a suggestion.  The young team can also then choose to ignore that if they don't like where they're put (as they did for one of the games at East End Park this season) so there needs to be a sensible discussion between them. 

At Stark's, the only solution I could see working would be (as others have already said) to put them in the south end of the railway stand.  This of course comes down to cost and I'm not sure how many more pies we can sell..........

16 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Pap them in the narrow section closest to the Railway stand, I don't think many folk have Season Tickets in that part (could be wrong). It cannot be difficult to identify the ones with flares before they throw them, we have CCTV and we have stewards/police watching them. The concern is that if they antagonize or annoy the wrong people, it'll escalate and likely become a police matter at that point. 

They do bring an atmosphere (until we go a goal down) and its genuinely great to see such an interest in the club, but at what cost, where does the line get drawn? 

I do, and moved there last season when they all accumulated up the back where my seats were.

So you can ram that idea right up the shite pipe.

Article on the courier website with Barrowman talking about Murray being linked to Hibs but stuck behind a paywall.  Anyone a subscriber and can give the rundown of what was said?

1 minute ago, Rover1990 said:

Article on the courier website with Barrowman talking about Murray being linked to Hibs but stuck behind a paywall.  Anyone a subscriber and can give the rundown of what was said?

I read it earlier. It was nothing much really. 

Just the usual stuff that we are pleased if the players/managers are attracting interest because it means we are doing well, no contact from Hibs so far, and we are already planning for next season.

31 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I have no doubt Airdrie wanted to keep him

Would appear it was Airdrie/McCabes decision to let him go.

2 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Would appear it was Airdrie/McCabes decision to let him go.

Fair bit of talk that he fell out with McCabe. 

Which is slightly more awkward than usual as they are cousins. 

11 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Article states: "However, Barrowman says there has been no contact between the clubs over the ex- Rangers, Norwich City and Scotland defender." 

Barrowman also goes onto say that if a move does materialise, the club is set up and prepared for it. 

Just everything you'd expect, short of definite answers really. Understandable though. 

7 hours ago, grumswall said:

I can't be the only one who is dick out... 

I’m not sure. No strong feelings either way.

How many games has he missed since he’s been with us? Can’t be many. He can play left back and centre back. He doesn’t look that out of place in a top of the league Championship side and he even scores the odd goal.

28 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

To get past a paywall you could get down to your local library and ask about Press Reader through the Fife Cultural Trust. You would need a library card or your mygovscot bus pass (if you're old enough) and you're good to go.

You end up with a monthly pass for Press Reader that's free and renewable at the end of every month. I have the app on my desktop and phone and can read every newspaper in the world for free.

https://www.pressreader.com

Andy Barrowman has welcomed Ian Murray being linked with the vacant Hibernian manager’s job – but insists it is “business as usual” at Raith Rovers.

Murray features high up the bookmakers’ list of possible replacements for Nick Montgomery in the Easter Road hotseat.

As a former Hibs player and boyhood supporter, the 43-year-old will have caught the eye of his old club after steering Raith to second in the Championship this season.

However, Barrowman says there has been no contact between the clubs over the ex-Rangers, Norwich City and Scotland defender.

The Stark’s Park chief executive has branded any link with Murray “pure speculation” for now.

Raith Rovers CEO Andy Barrowman at Stark's Park.
Raith Rovers CEO Andy Barrowman. Image: Ross Parker / SNS Group

But he is adamant that Rovers are happy for anyone at the club to attract attention if it means they are delivering success.

“I’ve seen the speculation, I’m not immune to that,” Barrowman told Courier Sport. “I see all of that and the bookies odds and everything else.

“I understand it, it’s normal, and it’s a good thing.

“As a club, we want to promote people, whether it’s a manager or a player or someone that works in the office.

“If you’re good at your job, you’re going to attract interest from people that can potentially pay more.

‘A culture we want to promote’, says Barrowman

“So, it’s a culture we want to promote and we’ve always said that to every member of staff.

“The manager’s no different, although he’s possibly the highest-profile in that situation.

“But we’ll actively promote that. We want managers and players to come here and do well and progress.

“The club benefits from that in the short-term and the longer term.”

He added: “We’ll see what happens but there’s certainly been no contact with the club.

Raith Rovers manager Ian Murray holds his left hand to his face.
Ian Murray reacts to Raith Rovers’ play-off defeat to Ross County. Image: Alan Harvey / SNS Group.

“We were having discussions on the way back down the road from Dingwall on Sunday night and since then about next season.

“We are business as usual until anything changes.

“It’s pure speculation until anyone tells us anything different and so I’ll not give it much thought.”

Murray’s role as manager was eased when Raith’s new owners took the reins 12 months ago.

John Potter followed Barrowman and consortium leader Dean Mckenzie from Kelty Hearts to Stark’s Park to become technical director.

Raith Rovers ‘in a position to deal with it’

He plays a significant role in player recruitment and behind the scenes, allowing Murray to focus more on coaching.

And Barrowman is confident Rovers will be able to cope if Murray is eventually enticed away from the Championship outfit.

“The club is set up to deal with these things,” he added.

“There’s no point in worrying about something until it happens.

“But if did happen – now, in two months’ time or six months’ time – the club would be in a position to deal with it.”

Cheers.  Its great we have a proper structure through the club now that they are prepared for anything like this.  In the past it would set us back a fair bit if we lost the manager.  I hope Murray does stay and I think he will but wouldn't blame him if an approach was made.