The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, Raith2711 said:

If Stanton was refusing to play he wouldn't have come on in the cup last week. If he'd been Ross Millen'd he would be totally frozen out. The most logical explanation is that he is injured. 

We ran Connolly in to the ground the year before and we ran Stanton and LV in to the ground last season.

For me we're not a million miles away from a good team. I think when fit our strongest 11 is:

Kev 

Stevenson

Hanlon

Fordyce

Matthews

Brown

Stanton

Easton (left)

Gibson (Right)

Vaughan

Hamilton

With Byrne coming in if we want a second holding midfielder instead of two upfont.

We desperately need a goalscorer to challenge Hamilton + a RB + some squad depth to cover injuries.

Not a huge amount of creativity or endevour in that side i'd say. It would be hopeful balls up to Hamiltons head and no one to get on the flick ons. 

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Any manager that wears a jumper and shirt, beware. Be a ware. 

3 hours ago, 101 said:

It was a jumper with a collar and under it a shirt with a collar. Weird.

I'm not sure that fans of a team who's manager deems a polo neck under an oversized Hoodie as acceptable touchline attire should be questioning the sartorial elegance of Neill Collins.

Nothing positive to say about Raith Rovers just now so I won't say anything.

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

Just spoke to  sam stanton in ikea. He's going for a scan on the injury this coming week. He's getting there steadily. 

Can't possibly be correct.  He's fallen out with Barrowman after he was caught trying to steal the giant light up Rovers crest to hang in his man cave.

A squad doesn't finish miles clear in second place after a title challenge then get to a play off final if that squad is shite. 

We need better players in specific positions but what we have is better than this seasons results. 

So it's about getting the best out of them. 

We've had 3 managers this season. 

Murray league and cup. (Not including pre season friendlies where he was unbeaten and didn't concede.)

P 5 W 2 D 1*  L 2  GF 7 GA 4

Post Murray

P 5 W 1 D 0 L 4 GF 3 GA 8

There's a clear regression in results from pre season but what has followed is just undermining the decision to sack Murray with every passing game. 

We are where we are just now if Collins can turn it around at best we will finish in a worse position than last year at worse I dread to think. 

Personally I think there's something rotten about the whole situation behind the scenes and it's spilling out onto the park. 

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

Just spoke to  sam stanton in ikea. He's going for a scan on the injury this coming week. He's getting there steadily. 

That backs up what Davy said on Raith TV commentary last night, Sam had a problem in training during week and needed further investigation.

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

A squad doesn't finish miles clear in second place after a title challenge then get to a play off final if that squad is shite. 

We need better players in specific positions but what we have is better than this seasons results. 

So it's about getting the best out of them. 

We've had 3 managers this season. 

Murray league and cup. (Not including pre season friendlies where he was unbeaten and didn't concede.)

P 5 W 2 D 1*  L 2  GF 7 GA 4

Post Murray

P 5 W 1 D 0 L 4 GF 3 GA 8

There's a clear regression in results from pre season but what has followed is just undermining the decision to sack Murray with every passing game. 

We are where we are just now if Collins can turn it around at best we will finish in a worse position than last year at worse I dread to think. 

Personally I think there's something rotten about the whole situation behind the scenes and it's spilling out onto the park. 

I'm not sure that's a realistic comparison in terms of results. Murray's two wins were against league two opposition.

39 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

I can't understand the timing of the RTV walk round film of the works at Stark's park.  The team are currently playing crap.  We cannot fill a bench.  We are desperate for new players, loaned or free agent.  We are sitting right at the bottom of the league.  But you show us how much money you have spent (wasted) on tarting up the fabric of the building while the team can't even score a goal!  Fur coat and nae knickers or what?

This is the short-sighted approach taken by most of our previous owners.

You're criticising them for spending money on things that will generate even more money which can then be spent on the team in the longer term.

Short-sighted spending beyond our means on players has got us (and lots of other teams) into more than enough trouble in the past.

I'm happy for them to spend what cash we do have on things that will improve our ability to generate revenue over multiple years, rather than spending it on a few players who will be gone in a few years.

1 minute ago, philpy said:

Thanks for quickly dispelling the nonsense. 

A really poor performance last night, and it's abundantly clear we can't keep going on at we are trying every alternative to an actual right back. There are two prime candidates in either Megwa on loan or Grimshaw on a permanent deal. 

We've now finished three games with ten men and scored one goal from open play. Last night felt like we had a team of individuals who didn't want to be the player who made the mistake. For all the experience in the team we badly lacked leadership and composure. 

6 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm not sure that's a realistic comparison in terms of results. Murray's two wins were against league two opposition.

We did score though and win which I don't know if we could see out a win at the minute. 

Edited by pub car king

1 minute ago, stevoraith said:

This is the short-sighted approach taken by most of our previous owners.

You're criticising them for spending money on things that will generate even more money which can then be spent on the team in the longer term.

Short-sighted spending beyond our means on players has got us (and lots of other teams) into more than enough trouble in the past.

I'm happy for them to spend what cash we do have on things that will improve our ability to generate revenue over multiple years, rather than spending it on a few players who will be gone in a few years.

OK stevoraith.  The football team is our reason for existing. What they do on the park is what draws in the crowd.  If we start losing games and playing crap, you just watch these big crowds we enjoyed last season disappearing.  Its the football performances that draw in the crowd. And no crowd, no Raith Rovers!

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

A really poor performance last night, and it's abundantly clear we can't keep going on at we are trying every alternative to an actual right back. There are two prime candidates in either Megwa on loan or Grimshaw on a permanent deal. 

We've now finished three games with ten men and scored one goal from open play. Last night felt like we had a team of individuals who didn't want to be the player who made the mistake. For all the experience in the team we badly lacked leadership and composure. 

Agree Broken Algorithms.  As good a player Matthews is and has been for us, he is just not captain material. Too quiet!

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Grimshaw, the midfielder turned right back is a solution for our issues where we're putting midfielders in at right back? The same Grimshaw that was a weak link for United when we played them and has been released because he's not someone who fits into United's wingback/back 3 formation?. Also not sure another player about to hit 30 is what we need either, we're full of "experienced" players who are the ones getting us into these positions. Megwa would be a good shout as he can play wingback, fullback and apparently (according to an Airdrie poster here) right side of a back three as well. 

Stanton being out presents another headache for us as there is no obvious replacement. Last season we were able to sign Kyle Turner and, whilst it wasn't an entirely successful signing overall, you can see what we were aiming at. Matthews/Byrne/Brown just aren't the same kind of player. 

I don't really know what to say about last night. Pathetic, dismal, shite; whatever you want to call it, that's what it was. Even if we take the first part of the game before the red card, we looked totally disjointed and no-one was taking any responsibility. It was as if no-one actually knew what they were supposed to be doing; no-one making runs, nobody creating space and instead just expecting the player with the ball, who had absolutely no options open to him, to do something out of nothing. Completely unacceptable to abdicate responsibility and dump it all on a teammate like that. 

We need to either play Freeman, or sign another RB if we're not going to. Whatever we choose, stop playing Midfielders in defence when there is a choice available. Mullin was actively targeted by Dunfermline and we conceded the moment Matthews went to RB because a huge gap was left. Please stop: play players in their actual positions. 

No-one expects miracles of Collins. However, we are bottom of the league and have scored 1 goal (a penalty) in 5 league matches. Things need to be turned around, and fast. Last night gave no evidence of improvement at all and that cannot hold or we will be in serious trouble. 

Another thing that needs to end is the ill-discipline. That's two league matches now where we have incurred an avoidable red card in the first half, with the natural conclusion of playing with 10 men materialising in the result. We are actively harming ourselves and making things more difficult than they need to be. 

Edited by Michael W

Checked in here against my better judgement and it lives up to what I expected. Emptying a manager based on a derby played for 75 minutes with 10 men takes it a step further than even Rovers board have managed.

Interview was bland and having looked through you tube this is how he uses the press win or lose.

The guy needs some time, I'm no happy clapper in fact wasn't really convinced but come on.

Utterly flat all over the park and he will know work needs done. Carrying players too early or too late in their contracts to make a difference. I'm sure he would shift 4 or 5 out if he could. 

Red card changes it, despite the Pars starting better games change accross 90 minutes. A wicked deflection for the first and a decent pen shout when Hanlin is manhandled in the box. Worrying mix when we are not getting or earning the breaks. 

The desperation to hang out Stanton seems to be driven by an agenda here. 

My mate spoke to him last night at the back of the stand. Mates dad had disabled parking and was there early. Stanton said its a hamstring needing some time and maybe a scan. 

Edited by Always next quarter

I don't t think anyone is hounding out Collins but calling put a formation/tactic that clearly doesn't work. 

He's taken on a difficult job and he has to make dramatic improvements quickly woth little scope to change much.

It's not an enviable position 

50 minutes ago, philpy said:

45 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Can't possibly be correct.  He's fallen out with Barrowman after he was caught trying to steal the giant light up Rovers crest to hang in his man cave.

Sounds to me like he is decking out his man cave in IKEA gear. All in prep for stealing the raith light up badge