The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

My take on the game:

I thought Long had a good game apart from the error for their goal. My immediate thought when he came for his first cross was 'where the feck is he going', only to see him claim the ball with confidence.

I much prefer McCann to Mackie at LB (although I wish it was LWB), however, I thought he played in some very good crosses, especially in the 1st half. Naturally, we didn't have enough bodies in the box to attack them though and I thought MacIver could have been better at that.

McGinn and Spencer is DM overkill and not needed in this league, although I recognise that McGlynn had little option last night. I was disappointed to see Ola moving back regularly to join them though meaning that we had no-one in a forward central midfield position a lot of the time.

Young Yeats may just about do at RB but we obviously need someone in there (absolutely baffling that McGlynn didn't prioritise the position).

Ageyman looks like one of those players that can be a world beater and pish all in the same move! He's going to frustrate the life out of us I think.

I don't think McIver is going to score loads but looks like a good addition to the squad and I'd like to see him paired with Allan.

We had Yeats, Lang and Morrison all out of position so, and I'll say it again, I'd like to see us try a 3-5-2 to help combat this. I'd try Miller as a RWB and go with:

Hogarth,

Lang-Donaldson-Henderson

Miller-Oliver-Spencer-Lawal-McCann

McIver-Allan

Obviously it would be better to get a natural RWB in there but this would at least mean that we've only one player actually out of position and I feel that McGlynn's got to try something different because we need a lot more energy in the team. This would also give us a lot of options off the bench.

On another note; can anyone tell me if Ola Lawal has ever completed a full competitive 90 minutes for us? I know he took a dull one early on last night but he always looks a bit fecked to me!

I'd love a 3-5-2 but you need a bigger squad than what we have nevermind the players to play it.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I remember Hagi playing right back for us but he was a special player who could do a bit with his right foot. Not sure miller's at that level at the moment. With two up top I like my wingbacks to get to the bye line and get balls in but you won't get that if miller is going to want to come inside in the main.

I don't recall Hagi using his right foot all that much, we even joked about it at a Falkirk FC function.

I mentioned how he virtually broke his back to cut a ball back from the by line to use his left foot....he replied his right foot was for standing on.

A lot of clubs do use wide players opposite side to their natural side but as you mentioned it's not every player that can make it look natural, see McCann last season and I don't think Morrison is comfortable on the left currently.

16 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Quite funny though how much the posts correlate to the score.  Winning one nil  and it's n.ot a bad first and Morrison needs to take these  chances.  They score and this has been dreadful and we've created nothing apart from the goal.😂

I don’t think anyone is delighted beating Spartans, again it should be a forgone conclusion that we do that. Sounds like the performance wasn’t anything special again. 

7 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

I don’t think anyone is delighted beating Spartans, again it should be a forgone conclusion that we do that. Sounds like the performance wasn’t anything special again. 

I'd rather have our result there than Dundee uniteds.

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Just a wee snippet re McGlynn.

Was at a birthday bash a few weeks back and had a chat with an ex director of Raith.

His take on McGlynn was the same as DF. Interestingly he also said that the team were miles better when McGlynn had to take a few months off for health reasons. Smith then took charge of the team as interim manager and it was like "night and day", only to revert back to boring when mcGlynn came back.

Saying that...if the club were to get rid of the Management team, they only need to sack McGlynn and replace him with Smith. Only one contract to pay off :)

Tbf what he said was right we did look a lot better under Smith when McGlynn was off for health reasons we seemed to move the ball a lot quicker, didn’t f**k about with it at the back for about 10 mins, pressing was a lot higher and we weren’t trying to score the perfect goal every attack.

rumours have it was McGlynn was gonna be sacked and the cup final would’ve been the last straw if he lost it but we won and it gave him until the end of the season and I think most of the board at that time we’re glad he was leaving to get someone else in younger and wouldn’t of blown an entire budget and also budgets being cut because of the signing of you know who.

a lot of people last summer saying we should’ve given it to Paul smith but apparently he didn’t want to the job and was happy as No2.

Edited by RRFC_Liam

Special performances to become the required bar if the wins start coming.....

I don't give a single f**k if we are watching turgid shite all season if we reach a point where we are grinding out wins. 

Way too many on here have stopped playing the ball and are intent on ignoring things that are inconvenient and just hunting McGlynn relentlessly. 

Every right to think what you want but by f**k, there's no need to be so boring about it. 

I think the aggressive Spartans fans last night must have had an average age of about 12. Still annoying though.

Incidentally, can anyone explain why those of us in a crowd of 874 last night had to stand in a massive queue to scan our prebought ticket, whilst those that paid at the gate could just walk up and get in? Nearly missed KO. Completely baffling!

49 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't give a single f**k if we are watching turgid shite all season if we reach a point where we are grinding out wins. 

Way too many on here have stopped playing the ball and are intent on ignoring things that are inconvenient and just hunting McGlynn relentlessly. 

Every right to think what you want but by f**k, there's no need to be so boring about it. 

Boring it may be but anyone attending the game last night could see little difference in set up and approach from last season and it did not augur well for the season ahead. 
I can understand the concerns although I agree we do need to give the team a chance for now…..

1 hour ago, Balde Bairn said:

Part of the problem this.

The Spartans toddler team were quite amusing but they were always going to come into a bit of bother given they were signing about stomping on the Falkirk heads every third song. 

My personal favourite was a few of them mistakenly clapping along to their own chant of 'If you've never won a trophy clap your hands'

Close second was 'You're shit but your birds are fit'

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

'Turgid Shite' you just don't get it.

Football is in the entertainment business therefore a product produced must be attractive to entice the fans to turn up and attract new ones.

Because there is plenty of competition out there for people's money and if you want to drive young and new fans away - Turgid Shite on the park is the way to do it.

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Football is in the entertainment business therefore a product produced must be attractive to entice the fans to turn up and attract new ones.

Because there is plenty of competition out there for people's money and if you want to drive young and new fans away - Turgid Shite on the park is the way to do it.

Aye let's prioritise a flashy season of not getting enough points and going part time. Good shout m8. 

20 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Winning is more important than the style we play with the situation we are in. Under Houston I don’t mind us playing sexy football every week as results mattered more. 

6 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Winning is more important than the style we play with the situation we are in. Under Houston I don’t mind us playing sexy football every week as results mattered more. 

"McGlynn doesn't attract the younger fans" might well be the worst take I've seen yet tbh. 

McGlynn could very well have been sacked after Airdrie. No one could have said it wasn't deserved. That night was a disgrace. 

He wasn't, and so we go into this season with him at the helm. Played 1 competitive game (1 win) and we have effortlessly pivoted to "aye but what about attracting fans". 

There's absolutely no fucking point in continuing to rattle on about whether he should have been bagged for last seasons performance. He wasn't. The time for that is gone. He now needs to be judged on this season as it progresses 

If after say the first quarter of league games we are well off the pace or like last season we have failed to beat any of the considered challengers (Cove, QOS, Hamilton), he will quite rightly be facing the wrath of the fans.

I didn’t like what I saw after about the first 20 mins last night, but I’ll cut him a bit slack as it’s very early doors and there was a large numbers of first team players out last night.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

If after say the first quarter of league games we are well off the pace or like last season we have failed to beat any of the considered challengers (Cove, QOS, Hamilton), he will quite rightly be facing the wrath of the fans.

I didn’t like what I saw after about the first 20 mins last night, but I’ll cut him a bit slack as it’s very early doors and there was a large numbers of first team players out last night.

So if we're top of the league after drawing with queen's, cove and Hamilton he'll be getting pelters? I doubt many will bother as long as we're top.  If we're well off the pace after a quarter though I reckon he'll be gone. 

45 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

I’m afraid you don’t get it.

The one and only priority this season is promotion.

Failure is not an option and the vast majority of fans realise this and would tolerate a season of turgid shite if at the end of it we were promoted.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Boring it may be but anyone attending the game last night could see little difference in set up and approach from last season and it did not augur well for the season ahead. 
I can understand the concerns although I agree we do need to give the team a chance for now…..

I'm in the same place as Bairnardo, the repetition from some on here feels underhand.

Personally I thought McGlynn should have parted ways after the Airdrie debacle, and I don't think we have improved our team in what I think is necessary which concerns me. However I don't have access to behind the scenes, how and why decisions were made on his tenure, and thereafter his choice of signings. 

I was at the game last night, first half decent, second half poor, but we got the win so move on with it.

It just feels like some are stoking the fire with the same continual posting when we are still over two weeks away from the first league game of the season.

We are a 'moany' fanbase, me included, and I know some will say we deserve to be, but one things for sure if this feeling continues and reaches onto the park some will get what they wish for as players will hide and we will struggle again this year.