The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

So if we're top of the league after drawing with queen's, cove and Hamilton he'll be getting pelters? I doubt many will bother as long as we're top.  If we're well off the pace after a quarter though I reckon he'll be gone. 

For me I actually think some will be hoping Burrell scores up in Cove based on what I read on here.

I want to destroy them up there, and if we don't the last thing I would be doing is coming on here to post how crap we were. 

I would be downing a few, going home to kick the dug then not talking to the wife for a week.

Hey, maybe just me and I take it too personal.

Airdrie - on a fraction of our budget and with a complete rookie player-management team in charge- managed to escape this league whilst also playing a very decent brand of attacking football. Given the advantages that we hold - or should hold - over every other club in this division, it really should not be beyond us to do the same. Why it has to be an either/or scenario is beyond me.

By the end of last season, McGlynn's style of play was neither attractive nor successful. The polar opposite in fact. That's the issue, and why concerns about a continuation of that into this season are perfectly legitimate. 

4 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Airdrie - on a fraction of our budget and with a complete rookie player-management team in charge- managed to escape this league whilst also playing a very decent brand of attacking football. Given the advantages that we hold - or should hold - over every other club in this division, it really should not be beyond us to do the same. Why it has to be an either/or scenario is beyond me.

By the end of last season, McGlynn's style of play was neither attractive nor successful. The polar opposite in fact. That's the issue, and why concerns about a continuation of that into this season are perfectly legitimate. 

The concerns are perfectly legitimate, but given that as I said, the time for McGlynn to lose his job as a consequence of that is past. We now need to judge him on the basis of what gets served up this coming season which so far has been 1 game, 1 win. 

The point about whether it was pretty or not was one fan saying it matters and several others saying they'll take a win no matter how it looks given what's at stake this season. 

I agree that we shouldn't face an either or choice, but there's absolutely nothing you can say to someone who complains that wins aren't pretty enough. 

Someone already said, if we start the season actively hunting for the managers head because of something that happened in the past, was seen by the BoD, and they elected not to act, then we are looking at a self fulfilling prophecy of failure tbh. 

If we don't show improvement in Q1 and lay gloves on our rivals in Q1 I fully expect to lose what remains of my head after the playoff debacle, but until then I will behave like a football fan and back the team. 

Just listened to his post match interview, found it a little bit strange in all honesty, seemed like a nerve was touched when asked about the players missing, also seemed to think Jordan Allan might have a disciplinary issue. When he mentioned teams and having to break through them it took me right back to last season how many times did we hear it. It's your job to problem solve. He does a good job of making it sound like we had loads of opportunities and we created plenty. Not the game I watched. 

14 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Just listened to his post match interview, found it a little bit strange in all honesty, seemed like a nerve was touched when asked about the players missing, also seemed to think Jordan Allan might have a disciplinary issue. When he mentioned teams and having to break through them it took me right back to last season how many times did we hear it. It's your job to problem solve. He does a good job of making it sound like we had loads of opportunities and we created plenty. Not the game I watched. 

You talking about last night's game? We did in fact have plenty of opportunities, we just didn't have anyone on the park that could take them  

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Just catching up on this thread. FFS, we won last night which is good, especially given we need the money from a cup run.

We have some of us that think McGlynn is great, we have some of us that want McGlynn sacked. 

Can we not just call a truce and see how the season goes ffs.

I don't think there's many of us who think that McGlynn is great, far from it in fact, however, he's the manager, he's been backed to do a job and we need to support him and the team until such times that it's obvious that it's not working and a change is needed. 

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't think there's many of us who think that McGlynn is great, far from it in fact, however, he's the manager, he's been backed to do a job and we need to support him and the team until such times that it's obvious that it's not working and a change is needed. 

I’ll support him as I’ve supported us since 1978 but I disagree that people don’t think he’s great.

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Can we not just call a truce and see how the season goes ffs.

That’s my take. I’ve been one of the McGlynns biggest critics and he should have been sacked after the abhorrent defeat by Airdrie. However financially we couldn’t pay him off so it’s a case of another season with him at the helm.

I’m so fcked off after 5 years of turgid shite I’ve accepted with this current squad, it’s likely we’ll see many boring crappy games, but if it’s racking up the points and keeps us top, I will reluctantly suffer. What I won’t accept is any player giving less than 100% each time they pull on the shirt. 

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

That’s my take. I’ve been one of the McGlynns biggest critics and he should have been sacked after the abhorrent defeat by Airdrie. However financially we couldn’t pay him off so it’s a case of another season with him at the helm.

I’m so fcked off after 5 years of turgid shite I’ve accepted with this current squad, it’s likely we’ll see many boring crappy games, but if it’s racking up the points and keeps us top, I will reluctantly suffer. What I won’t accept is any player giving less than 100% each time they pull on the shirt. 

Yeah, agree, a really good chance to go up this year.

We need all players giving 100% and the best 11 starting.

39 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Problem is, a lot of us could see that his approach was not working last night! Question is whether that’s just early season bedding in or what to expect in coming weeks. If it's the latter the wolves will not just be circling…..

Looking at this with a few takes, compared to the past few seasons of shite we have had to endure under M&M, Hartley, MacKinnon, Sheerin, Holt, and Rennie it's the first time I have enjoyed going back to the games, and for a change, we got a winning feeling back, especially with the shambles at Boardroom level under Lang and Co.

No one is happy with the way the season ended and bear in mind we have had comedy value at other clubs' expense of collapses of epic proportions in the past in the final run in/play offs, this time karma bit us in the arse. We have the nucleus of a good team under McGlynn which we haven't had before and a bit stability instead of a complete rebuild.  I do think there is an element of the posters on here that either have an agenda with the new board/model, McGlynn and generally just want to see us fail for the sake they can post on here with "I told you so" and McGlynn could win the champions league with us they would still want him sacked. The point is never to make a decision when you are angry (i.e. Airdrie play-off games).

Nesbit like the guy or loathe him (personally not sold on him) with the 2 yr deal thing he was in good form and as much as it would have been slim to little chance he was a sellable asset where we could have got something in this climate, especially with fan ownership model we need the funds. Also, wouldn't have lost much sleep if Morrison had left either tbh but I get the point of him being our top scorer and folk wanting him to stay.

End of the day if we had appointed someone else after Airdrie there is more chance we would have ended up with another rebuild another unknown manager/risk and another season where we would have probably had to sack him and folk saying the board should never have appointed him sack the board etc McGlynn as is the board is damned if he/they do and damned if he/They don't. (by the way that's not a pronoun thing its more a reference to McGlynn and the Board).. 😃

Just let the season get started and see how we get on.

(football supporters are a fickle lot)..lol

Edited by AL-FFC

21 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Looking at this with a few takes, compared to the past few seasons of shite we have had to endure under M&M, Hartley, MacKinnon, Sheerin, Holt, and Rennie it's the first time I have enjoyed going back to the games, and for a change, we got a winning feeling back, especially with the shambles at Boardroom level under Lang and Co.

No one is happy with the way the season ended and bear in mind we have had comedy value at other clubs' expense of collapses of epic proportions in the past in the final run in/play offs, this time karma bit us in the arse. We have the nucleus of a good team under McGlynn which we haven't had before and a bit stability instead of a complete rebuild.  I do think there is an element of the posters on here that either have an agenda with the new board/model, McGlynn and generally just want to see us fail for the sake they can post on here with "I told you so" and McGlynn could win the champions league with us they would still want him sacked. The point is never make a decision when you are angry (i.e. Airdrie play off games).

Nesbit like the guy or loathe him (personally not sold on him) with the 2 yr deal thing he was in good form and as much as it would have been slim to little chance he was a sellable asset where we could have got something in this climate, especially with fan ownership model we need the funds. Also, wouldnt have lost much sleep if Morrison had left either tbh but I get the point of him being our top scorer and folk wanting him to stay.

End of the day if we had appointed someone else after Airdrie there is more chance we would have ended up with another rebuild another unknown manager/risk and another season where we would have probably had to sack him and folk saying the board should never have appointed him sack the board etc McGlynn as is the board is damned if he does and damned if heThey dont.

Just let the season get started and see how we get on.

(football supporters are a fickle lot)..lol

Sorry, the bit about agendas is just a nonsense for me. You talk about a “winning feeling” but we won just over half of games in the third tier in a season which culminated in a 7-2 defeat to Airdrie. Really not sure what aspect of that was a winning season.

Equally, you mention “the nucleus of a good team”. We have an unbalanced squad with no right back, a dodgy centre half, a defensive midfielder past his best and no real goalscorer. If you call that a good team, I’d hate to see your definition of a bad one.

We all want the best for the club but to present the situation as sunshine and light and those of us being legitimately critical as having hidden agendas is ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There is no reason promotion cannot be achieved by playing a brand of football that is good to watch.

Who mentioned 'Flashy football? not me - it was you.

If we are winning, I will enjoy watching it! It’s that simple! I really don’t care what “brand” of football we play this season as long as we get promoted, we can worry about being easy on the eye when we get out of this league. Look at the tactics Dunfermline adopted last year and they won the league at a canter.  

15 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Sorry, the bit about agendas is just a nonsense for me. You talk about a “winning feeling” but we won just over half of games in the third tier in a season which culminated in a 7-2 defeat to Airdrie. Really not sure what aspect of that was a winning season.

Equally, you mention “the nucleus of a good team”. We have an unbalanced squad with no right back, a dodgy centre half, a defensive midfielder past his best and no real goalscorer. If you call that a good team, I’d hate to see your definition of a bad one.

We all want the best for the club but to present the situation as sunshine and light and those of us being legitimately critical as having hidden agendas is ludicrous.

What do you think the BOD should do now, right now, to make things better and how do you think the money can be found to do it?

6 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Just a wee snippet re McGlynn.

Was at a birthday bash a few weeks back and had a chat with an ex director of Raith.

His take on McGlynn was the same as DF. Interestingly he also said that the team were miles better when McGlynn had to take a few months off for health reasons. Smith then took charge of the team as interim manager and it was like "night and day", only to revert back to boring when mcGlynn came back.

Saying that...if the club were to get rid of the Management team, they only need to sack McGlynn and replace him with Smith. Only one contract to pay off :)

I'm not getting involved in the manager debate but I bumped into a Raith fan in Dalaman airport a few weeks back and he said McGlynn doesn't do change unless it's forced on him. He said the same about Smith as the director you mention. 

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

What do you think the BOD should do now, right now, to make things better and how do you think the money can be found to do it?

In my view they need to be ready to relieve McGlynn of his duties quickly if necessary. This will be controversial but I would also be looking to free up resources from other areas of the club (such as youth development) to bring in a right back.