The Falkirk FC Thread

Lets see what other signings we make and what they do on the pitch. This time last season we were hyping ourselves up as promotion candidates. Don't underestimate who we are playing next season. They are good community clubs with support that care about their team as much as us. Many grounds are tight little bearpits like Brockville. If we turn up expecting a walk over against postmen as you say then we are there for the taking.
I don't really care if they are good community clubs with supporters who care, that shouldn't influence the outcome of games.

You are right to say we shouldn't expect to just turn up, we will need to fight hard for every point.

The ambition for the only full time team in the league however has to be to go into every game and give a bunch of part timers a tanking, week in and week out.

The club have done nothing but bitch about budgets for years, now that we're probably going to be spending as much as 50% of the league combined there can be no excuses.

12 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

The ambition for the only full time team in the league however has to be to go into every game and give a bunch of part timers a tanking, week in and week out.

I agree with all of this but I believe there are 3(?) full time teams, us, Raith and Airdrie?

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, sick boy said:

I agree with all of this but I believe there are 3(?) full time teams, us, Raith and Airdrie?

Airdrie went full time and I think Raith went half and half.

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Airdrie went full time and I think Raith went half and half.

Ourselves and Airdrie are operating a hybrid system. 

We will be mainly full time and supplemented with part time players. 

The majority of Raith players are full time with 4 or 5 part time. Our recent history against part time teams such as Dumbarton and even Cowdenbeath says that if we turn up with a Billy Big Baws attitude, we’ll get beat.

Particularly painful memories were conceding 4 goals to both of the above when it could be argued that we had better players than we have now. Attitude will count for a lot in L1.

I don't really care if they are good community clubs with supporters who care, that shouldn't influence the outcome of games.

You are right to say we shouldn't expect to just turn up, we will need to fight hard for every point.

The club have done nothing but bitch about budgets for years, now that we're probably going to be spending as much as 50% of the league combined there can be no excuses.

The word should is a big problem for us in the past. A team of better paid full time players SHOULD beat a part time team but as we know nobody fucks up quite like us when favourites

33 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

The word should is a big problem for us in the past. A team of better paid full time players SHOULD beat a part time team but as we know nobody fucks up quite like us when favourites

Some part time player's have jobs with annual salaries way above what we pay and don't want full time football. 

Doesn't mean they are  a lesser standard player ? 

Edited by wullie robb
Mistake

Here's something for people with more knowledge than me of current footballers. I was in Inverness Starbucks this afternoon. Just within earshot were half a dozen caley thistle players. They mentioned a left wing back going to falkirk (perhaps not necessarily from ict). I didn't catch the name, but possibly first name Phil. Get speculating.

7 minutes ago, wullie robb said:

Some part time player's have jobs with annual salaries way above what we pay and don't want full time football. 

Doesn't mean they are of a lesser standard player ? 

A club the size of Falkirk shouldn’t be resorting to part time players 

Here's something for people with more knowledge than me of current footballers. I was in Inverness Starbucks this afternoon. Just within earshot were half a dozen caley thistle players. They mentioned a left wing back going to falkirk (perhaps not necessarily from ict). I didn't catch the name, but possibly first name Phil. Get speculating.

McCracken.

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn said:

A club the size of Falkirk shouldn’t be resorting to part time players 

Latapy, I'm not suggesting they should. 

But it's 100% wrong to assume that because a club are part time they will be beaten by the club that's full time. 

13 minutes ago, mic_17_uk said:

Roberts

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The majority of Raith players are full time with 4 or 5 part time. Our recent history against part time teams such as Dumbarton and even Cowdenbeath says that if we turn up with a Billy Big Baws attitude, we’ll get beat.

Particularly painful memories were conceding 4 goals to both of the above when it could be argued that we had better players than we have now. Attitude will count for a lot in L1.

Absolutely right Duncan. We barely have a team, never mind a squad, and no strikers, so i’d imagine it’s pretty insulting to the rest of the division and pretty fecking premature for us, to talk about “tanking” anyone.  What was the score the last time we played Peterhead? 

Even with the right attitude, McKinnon has showed us nothing to suggest he’s even remotely interested in building attack biased teams. Sure, last season was difficult to judge, but even in the games towards the end where we really needed to win (and usually lost), his approach was incredibly timid.

So far, this season’s signings are following the same path.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Even with the right attitude, McKinnon has showed us nothing to suggest he’s even remotely interested in building attack biased teams. Sure, last season was difficult to judge, but even in the games towards the end where we really needed to win (and usually lost), his approach was incredibly timid.

So far, this season’s signings are following the same path.

You cannot win games if you’re conceding poor goals every game, as we were up until January last year. Ray rightly identified this area as a priority for improvement and we were much better defensively after.

He’s rightly taken the same approach this year and given us championship quality defensive players in Gomis, Dixon and Buchanan. That will ensure we control games and all that’s needed now is a championship quality striker or two to make sure we win matches.