The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Incase anyone's interested.

The club aren't publicising the youth teams which is a wee bit of a shame, though in fairness they didn't do that previously when the youths played out of Stirling in the old academy. It was only the "professional" U20s made up mainly of signed played that had their game details published. Presumably this will happen next year when we have a team above the 18s. 

The youth season started this weekend. The 16s lost to Morton on Thursday night and the 17s beat Partick 3-0 this morning. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The club aren't publicising the youth teams which is a wee bit of a shame, though in fairness they didn't do that previously when the youths played out of Stirling in the old academy. It was only the "professional" U20s made up mainly of signed played that had their game details published. Presumably this will happen next year when we have a team above the 18s. 

The youth season started this weekend. The 16s lost to Morton on Thursday night and the 17s beat Partick 3-0 this morning. 

That is a shame. Really enjoyed keeping up with the results last season. Deliberate move or lack of manpower do you think Bainsford?

It's funny but a year on from wanting all of our players to be on shorter contracts I now am hoping we're in the process of getting contracts for most of our players extended. There's bound to be a few clubs sniffing about in the summer with a few out of contract and a few hitting the last year. Obviously promotion would make a huge difference at both getting the finance and giving the players a higher level to play at but it's a strange feeling to actually have players in the side other players actually may want to sign.

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

That is a shame. Really enjoyed keeping up with the results last season. Deliberate move or lack of manpower do you think Bainsford?

I think the club prefer to keep the kids out of the limelight until they sign professional contracts. Given that many of them (perhaps the majority?) will still be at school  that's probably understandable.  

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It's funny but a year on from wanting all of our players to be on shorter contracts I now am hoping we're in the process of getting contracts for most of our players extended. There's bound to be a few clubs sniffing about in the summer with a few out of contract and a few hitting the last year. Obviously promotion would make a huge difference at both getting the finance and giving the players a higher level to play at but it's a strange feeling to actually have players in the side other players actually may want to sign.

Has the same conversation yesterday, albeit for the first time in a few seasons we’ve got more than a spine of the squad signed until season 24, which helps regardless of how the season ends. Theres been a few noises surrounding Morrison, and if he keeps his current form/consistency I’ve no doubt the club will be asked to name a figure. 
Weird feeling that if we win all our remaining games we win the league…………….🙄

38 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If and its a big if we go up there are only 4-5 players that would make the grade in the higher division. It was all too evident in the Dundee game the shortcomings in most of the squad.

Not a bad position to be in to build on. However if we don't go up they will be away.

Critical time for the club

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Weird feeling that if we win all our remaining games we win the league…………….🙄

Yep, all we have to do is create a post WW2 club record for straight wins. Records are there to be broken I guess.

On 15/02/2023 at 22:46, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I hate the flares at our recent games, especially those thrown on to the pitch.  Don't people realise the club can be fined or worse for this kind of stuff?   It's not big and it's not clever.

Are yours too tight at the waist?

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If and its a big if we go up there are only 4-5 players that would make the grade in the higher division. It was all too evident in the Dundee game the shortcomings in most of the squad.

Not a bad position to be in to build on. However if we don't go up they will be away.

Ayr will be a good market for how we are placed. I'm sure a good few of the current side would do a job but pushing for promotion would be a different matter. I'd fancy our chances in a playoff against one of the bottom clubs though.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Surely we could point to the Hibs game in the League Cup to say the exact opposite?

I think there are several players in the current squad that would do well in the Championship. McCann, Donaldson, Henderson, Lawal, Nesbitt (maybe as a squad player), Burrell, Morrison, Kennedy to name a few. McGinn too if he can maintain his fitness.

On Brian Rice, what are some older fans memories of him playing for us? The first half of his time with us (91-93), he only played about a 1/3 of our games before really kicking on in 93/94. I know he had some fitness issues and one or two things going on outside football but it seems like when he got dropped he missed large chunks of the season. Was it a case of winning over the fans eventually?

5 hours ago, Higgenarse said:

I agree with all of this bar banning fan for life. The fan should be given the opportunity to apologise. I'm sure that would mean more than a ban. Even the most vile person couldn't justify abusing a man who has done so much for our club and still speaks fondly about club

Ban the fool for a couple of seasons.

Life ban too severe but an apology is only meaningful if sincere and highly unlikely this tit would mean it.

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Ban the fool for a couple of seasons.

Life ban too severe but an apology is only meaningful if sincere and highly unlikely this tit would mean it.

Tell them they are banned until the can show attendance at some mental health awareness training. 

Interesting one on the contract extensions- not something that’s been an issue the last few seasons.

I’d be looking to extend the likes of Burrell, Lawal and Rowe but I wouldn’t be offering wholesale extensions at this stage. Much will depend on the league we’re in.

On Nesbitt specifically, I’d want to see continued good performances until the end of the season. Still too many games where he doesn’t contribute enough in my view.