The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I’m not suggesting we rip up the entire squad though. You said we need 2-3 new signings. But you’ve also said McKay, lawal, and McGinn will go and the two loan players will need replaced. Well that’s 5 signings already. And that’s also presuming we keep Morrison. 6-8 new signings at face value may seem like a lot but what I’m trying to explain is when you break it down that’s about the number of signings we will need in order to keep the same squad size. I am also giving you the benefit of the doubt by resigning Mackie and Oliver which I think at least 50% of the fan base would not resign. Plus shanley who we’ve only seen for 70 minutes and Hogarth who you’ve also stated there is still question marks over. Again I think most of the fanbase would agree with that. 

I also don’t think the loan signings necessarily need to be pushed out the door either, in and ideal world bar the three players I mentioned I’d like to see the squad kept together rather than any major surgery. Obviously if we are unable to persuade players to re-sign or return then we will need replacements but that’s a different discussion altogether. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

6 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I also don’t think the loan signings necessarily need to be pushed out the door, in and ideal world bar the three players I mentioned I’d like to see the squad kept together rather than any major surgery. 

I’d probably have to disagree with you quite a bit now. Again I am not suggesting any major surgery. But to suggest we should resign Bisland, Mackie, Oliver and long I just can’t agree with. One or two I can get behind. But all 4 (even if the loan signings were possible) is just mental and imo shows far too much complacency. 6-8 new signings isn’t major surgery it’s simply what needed to replace outgoings players. I think we signed 7 new players this summer. 8 if you include shanley and that’s allowed us to go from second to first in league 1. If we do have real aspirations of play offs. 2-3 new signings just isn’t going to cut it. 

Edited by Big chungus

10 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

I’d probably have to disagree with you quite a bit now. Again I am not suggesting any major surgery. But to suggest we should resign Bisland, Mackie, Oliver and long I just can’t agree with. One or two I can get behind. But all 4 (even if the loan signings were possible) is just mental and imo shows far too much complacency.

If they are all moved on it’s imperative they are replaced with players that are considerably better which is easier said than done as we’ve seen in the past pre John Mcglynn. Keeping continuity and harmony within the squad with two or three additions of quality at a point when things are going well I would not see as complacency but more a measured and calculated approach to things. We’ve had the revolving door approach before and I think a period of calm continuity should it be possible would be not bad thing in the short term.  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

17 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

If they are all moved on it’s imperative they are replaced with players that are considerably better which is easier said than done as we’ve seen in the past pre John Mcglynn. Keeping continuity and harmony within the squad with two or three additions of quality at a point when things are going well I would not see as complacency but more a measured and calculated approach to things. We’ve had the revolving door approach before and I think a period of calm continuity should it be possible would be not bad thing in the short term.  

One thing that nobody has mentioned up until now is the fact that we have an academy again! Remember the days when we brought through our own players and sold them for a profit? We had one of the best academies in the country, arguably only behind Hibs and the OF. We'll no doubt lose a couple of players in the summer, and we should look to the academy and bring a couple of lads through. Hopefully there's another Conor McGrandles waiting to be unearthed.

1 minute ago, Raybowski89 said:

One thing that nobody has mentioned up until now is the fact that we have an academy again! Remember the days when we brought through our own players and sold them for a profit? We had one of the best academies in the country, arguably only behind Hibs and the OF. We'll no doubt lose a couple of players in the summer, and we should look to the academy and bring a couple of lads through. Hopefully there's another Conor McGrandles waiting to be unearthed.

Sounds like the boys out on loan at the moment are doing particularly well. Stats and reviews have all looked good so far this season, perhaps next season McGlynn will look to integrate them into the senior squad.   

3 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

If we're still in L1 next season *shudder* I think we'll need to do that anyway. If we achieve promotion though, I think playing in the Championship would be too much too soon for the young lads.

4 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Sounds like the boys out on loan at the moment are doing particularly well. Stats and reviews have all looked good so far this season, perhaps next season McGlynn will look to integrate them into the senior squad.   

Always a good sign when teams want to extend loan agreements. It's good too that we have boys at local clubs - Camelon Jr's, East Stirlingshire etc. Means they're not having to uproot themselves. Hopefully the likes of Honeyman can make the step up.

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If we're still in L1 next season *shudder* I think we'll need to do that anyway. If we achieve promotion though, I think playing in the Championship would be too much too soon for the young lads.

Aye, a scary thought, isn't it! I reckon we'll go up but yeah you're right that it's a lot of pressure on the youngsters but if we can go 2-3 goals up in games then there's no reason why they can't get on the pitch.

3 hours ago, Big chungus said:

At this level with most players on 1-2 year contracts 6-8 signings every summer is getting on for being the bear minimum. Like I’ve said the other players out of contract will need to be replaced. Not including Yeats, Donaldson, Mcann and Hendo and who I think everyone would keep will need to be accounted for. The simple maths equates to 6-8 new signings.

Get what you're saying but I think there are 2 ways of looking at it. 2-3 signings to strengthen our starting 11 and maybe another 3-4 to strengthen the squad depending on who comes and goes.

Realistically if we do get promoted, I don't think we will lose many of the out of contact lads unless we want to. While guys like Donaldson, yeats and hendo would get offers, I'm not sure they would get better offers than us in terms of wages and continuity of staying in that squad and enjoying going to your work with your mates every day after a great season.

The core of our 11 is all still in contract for next season as it stands with Lang, mccann, Spencer, nesbitt, miller and McIver. So including the 3 above that's 9, not including a goalie and Morrison. 

2 hours ago, Raybowski89 said:

Always a good sign when teams want to extend loan agreements. It's good too that we have boys at local clubs - Camelon Jr's, East Stirlingshire etc. Means they're not having to uproot themselves. Hopefully the likes of Honeyman can make the step up.

Scott Honeyman's signed for us until the end of next season. He's a starter every week for us and is influential for any real threat we create to the opposition this season. We have to play him due to how influential he is so when he returns to Falkirk he'll be all the better for it. However as you'll be a Championship club by then he may need a further loan to a club at a higher level. We've also signed former Falkirk player Morgaro Gomis until the end of next season. His experience is exciting. 

Edited by come on shire

5 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah, I think everyone would love the stadium to get completed. But that’s sort of the point I’m making if we could get back into the premiership and average 5.5k -6k home fans for a run of the mill premiership game. Then big games like local derbys, or Scottish cup quarter finals could attract even more fans, then at that point a fourth stand is both economically sensible and financial viable. I think for most fans a forth stand is an absolute pipe dream but the point I’m trying to make it that maybe, just maybe we aren’t actually that far away from it. Yes yes, not even promoted out of league 1 yet and I’m getting far too ahead of myself.

I always wonder if it couldn’t just be plain old terracing? Not sure what the rules are on that these days. It might be cheaper to build? 

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

Scott Honeyman's signed for us until the end of next season. He's a starter every week for us and is influential for any real threat we create to the opposition this season. We have to play him due to how influential he is so when he returns to Falkirk he'll be all the better for it. However as you'll be a Championship club by then he may need a further loan to a club at a higher level. We've also signed former Falkirk player Morgaro Gomis until the end of next season. His experience is exciting. 

Glad to hear he's getting on well. Didn't realise it was until the end of next season he was with you guys.

Hopefully Gomis can bring some experience to the side and help turn things around. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that nobody wants to see the Shire fall any further. 

Have there been any updates on the stadium situation? I read that they were considering moving into Grangemouth's stadium going forward? Still don't quite understand why they left Firs Park in the first place.

🆕🎙️EP:66 CHEER UP PAUL HARTLEY

🔵 Review the easy 4-0 win over Cove Rangers with @andygilchrist02 & @bairn1973 🐀
⚪️ Discuss THAT record & the 1-0 win over QOS 👸🏼
🔵 Media whores are at it again 🤦🏼‍♂️
⚪️ Preview Edinburgh City (A) 🏰 &
🔵 All the latest FFC news inc the Junior Bairns Day & Transfer window chat 🗞️

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.ukIMG_7114.thumb.jpeg.e8c392740659f7c3fbe8bbac830073fa.jpeg

Slightly off subject, but reading a couple of articles on Motherwell and Dundee Utd. Firstly Motherwell who are fan owned, asking (tbh pleading) with supporters to further back the club with more investment. Secondly Utd, who have just posted accounts that for a better word would put other businesses under, after just suffering another  huge loss the year before. The figures are startling and if anywhere near true, mind boggles that they are allow to trade. Assuming that arse cheeks apart, how many clubs are serious financial woes……

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Slightly off subject, but reading a couple of articles on Motherwell and Dundee Utd. Firstly Motherwell who are fan owned, asking (tbh pleading) with supporters to further back the club with more investment. Secondly Utd, who have just posted accounts that for a better word would put other businesses under, after just suffering another  huge loss the year before. The figures are startling and if anywhere near true, mind boggles that they are allow to trade. Assuming that arse cheeks apart, how many clubs are serious financial woes……

Definitely think that without waving away our own concerns in any way and our own financial issues, there's a huge element of we're now, with the board we have in place, just more open and honest about it

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I think from what I’ve heard only us, Dundee utd, Motherwell, Livingston (shut up davie) and Edinburgh city have some sort of financial woes there might be more clubs 

4 minutes ago, Hisingdoon said:

I think from what I’ve heard only us, Dundee utd, Motherwell, Livingston (shut up davie) and Edinburgh city have some sort of financial woes there might be more clubs 

I really doubt that this is anything like a comprehensive list of clubs with serious financial issues.

23 minutes ago, Hisingdoon said:

I think it’s a gross mischaracterisation to bracket us with the crisis clubs. We have no debt to speak of and since the crazy £1m loss season, our finances are much better managed. That’s not to say we aren’t hand-to-mouth, but we aren’t £10m in the hole like DU, letting our players go like Edinburgh, or perpetually gray like Livi. I don’t think even Motherwell should be mentioned in the same breath. The difference seems to be ownership. Fan run clubs make an honest fist of managing their operations transparently, responsibly, and efficiently. Where it’s a single owner or ownership is more opaque, it’s more complex.