c***s on the road

Having had dealings with the DVLA over the years (not in regard to my licence) I always had visions of them being staffed by Denzil and Gwyneth from Absolutely.

And possibly also Little Britain's Daffyd with Taffy Goldstein from The Navy Lark in overall charge 

But that's enough Welsh stereotypes for one post 

49 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Thousands of hours in Gran Turismo has convinced me it's the right time.

I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival, and there was a pilot in it who said he learned to fly on Microsoft Flight Simulator, so you should be OK on Gran Turismo.

5 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival, and there was a pilot in it who said he learned to fly on Microsoft Flight Simulator, so you should be OK on Gran Turismo.

The 9/11 boys did ok but they skipped the landing bit. 

I was driving up the M6 yesterday in the outside overtaking lane doing about 80mph. I see some guy in the middle lane in a black fiesta putting on his signal to get into my lane. He must be doing about 60mph at this point. As I overtake him he gives me the vicky and when he pulls out behind me he is furiously flashing his lights. I soon lose site of him in the distance as he struggles to overtake the other vehicles in the middle lane. 

Made me think, did this guy think that the guy travelling faster than him in the outside lane should brake to let him out just because he signalled? Surely he has to control his own speed by dropping down gears and anticipating that I'll be past him in seconds before he pulls out?

Anyway, c**t!

On 14/07/2023 at 17:04, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm not sure whether it's best to put this here or in the Car Advice thread, but I think this one is technically closer. 

I'd like to learn to drive. Based on what I can see on the government's website if I don't have a passport, I can't apply online: Apply for your first provisional driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have to get a form from the post office and send it away along with my birth certificate and national insurance card/payslip/student card. This seems like a bit much. Does anyone have any recent experience of this?

Sounds about right, unfortunately. I had to renew a passport recently but could only find one that expired in 1995 (at first). Because i was born outside the UK they wanted originals of My Dad's birth certificate and marriage certificates. It doesn't take much for them to lose their grip on reality and request way too much stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I was driving up the M6 yesterday in the outside overtaking lane doing about 80mph. I see some guy in the middle lane in a black fiesta putting on his signal to get into my lane. He must be doing about 60mph at this point. As I overtake him he gives me the vicky and when he pulls out behind me he is furiously flashing his lights. I soon lose site of him in the distance as he struggles to overtake the other vehicles in the middle lane. 

Made me think, did this guy think that the guy travelling faster than him in the outside lane should brake to let him out just because he signalled? Surely he has to control his own speed by dropping down gears and anticipating that I'll be past him in seconds before he pulls out?

Anyway, c**t!

Is the guy travelling  within the speed limit right? Or is it the guy speeding? 

It's a puzzler right enough. 

21 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Anyway, c**t!

Some folk think indicators are rightofwaycators.

36 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Anyway, c**t!

Too many people cant drive properly on motorways, poor anticipation and inability to judge others speed (usually because the twats havent looked in the mirror for 10 minutes) being the biggest problem areas. 

I reckon they are are same people who drive too fast in built up areas - got the driving licence in a lucky bag types.............

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Is the guy travelling  within the speed limit right? Or is it the guy speeding? 

It's a puzzler right enough. 

Whit? Same rules would apply if I was doing 70 in the outside lane.

Do I have to brake just because he’s decided to indicate?

You don’t have a sluggish black Fiesta do you?

I’m with team @Big Rider on this one. The safest place to be on a motorway is maintaining a speed differential (within reason) to the surrounding traffic that gives you your little bubble of safe space.

On a related point, nothing gives me the fear more than these average speed camera enforced 40mph limits through roadworks. Two or three lanes of traffic with the inability to create your own space and God-knows-who only a couple of feet from your passenger door. Try and create some safe space for yourself and inevitably some twat will come and fill it in for you. 

20 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That can't be right. That would mean that most drivers in Edinburgh never had right of way.

In Edinburgh, indicators appear to be more like optional extras.

Must have learned to drive over here...

33 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Whit? Same rules would apply if I was doing 70 in the outside lane.

Do I have to brake just because he’s decided to indicate?

You don’t have a sluggish black Fiesta do you?

You might not have had to break at all.

If i need to overtake at 70, and some high blood pressure tit is raging up the outside, they'll be braking. I wouldn’t make them have to slam them on, mainly out of self preservation, but they can just wait till i'm finished overtaking. 

26 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m with team @Big Rider on this one. The safest place to be on a motorway is maintaining a speed differential (within reason) to the surrounding traffic that gives you your little bubble of safe space.

On a related point, nothing gives me the fear more than these average speed camera enforced 40mph limits through roadworks. Two or three lanes of traffic with the inability to create your own space and God-knows-who only a couple of feet from your passenger door. Try and create some safe space for yourself and inevitably some twat will come and fill it in for you. 

Maintaining that bubble is precisely why normal drivers may need to overake the lorry overtaking at 57 mph in the middle lane, and is made more difficult by antisocial drivers going too fast in the outside lane. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

You might not have had to break at all.

If i need to overtake at 70, and some high blood pressure tit is raging up the outside, they'll be braking. I wouldn’t make them have to slam them on, mainly out of self preservation, but they can just wait till i'm finished overtaking. 

Maintaining that bubble is precisely why normal drivers may need to overake the lorry overtaking at 57 mph in the middle lane, and is made more difficult by antisocial drivers going too fast in the outside lane. 

There is truth in that, however, it’s not a licence to just blast to the right without a careful evaluation of traffic approaching from the rear for speed differential etc. On the other hand, I’d love to hear how the average UK driver handles the chaos of traffic in countries where undertaking is positively encouraged (certainly better than Germans).

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There is truth in that, however, it’s not a licence to just blast to the right without a careful evaluation of traffic approaching from the rear for speed differential etc. On the other hand, I’d love to hear how the average UK driver handles the chaos of traffic in countries where undertaking is positively encouraged (certainly better than Germans).

By tuttting probably