The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We won’t be attractive as what we were say a few weeks ago but we are in the middle of an injury crisis which doesn’t show any sign of improving particularly if there is any truth in the McMann rumours. 

Injuries come and go (as do players).

Our profile as a club, the squad of players, the reputation of the academy along with a talented recent intake,  the budget that put them all together alongside the backing from the boardroom and behind the scenes infrastructure is what our main selling point to any new manager would and should be.

For the level we'd be a very attractive option for the right person, as was seen.in attracting Brown and Whittaker in the first place.

Maybe both can come out in the next half hour and put all this to bed before the hot sign comes out on this thread!

2 hours ago, Only me... said:

Who's the other 3 ? 

Larne boss Tiernan Lynch, Peter Leven, and an unnamed manager of a "European club".

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I don't know it to be true or false that Brown has applied for the job.  By the sound of it he hasn't, he has been approached along with others. 

The Courier reported everyone on the shortlist either applied, or made the club aware they'd be interested. Whether you want to believe the Courier or not is up to you really, I genuinely have no idea what's true and what's not.

54 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Bit puzzled by St Johnstone’s interest

New owner has made it clear he wants a young manager who'll commit to trying to play "exciting" football, who'll commit to giving young players a chance, and who'll be willing to stay 2-3 years and help the club rebuild, either in the top flight or by getting back there in a better position than we're in, within that period.

If Brown, or his agent, has sold themselves to Saints that they tick some of those boxes then they'll obviously want a deeper talk about that.

I think Lynch is the actual favourite just now.

I'm already sick of the Brown "paper talk" and it's only September. We had all the knicker wetting when the Raith job came up, now this with St Johnstone. Can't be arsed with this every time a manager gets sacked. If he goes, he goes. I won't feel anywhere near as heartbroken as I did when McCall left us. 

Edited by Thereisalight..

17 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

If he goes, and it still has to ge a huge if at this stage, we'll move on and still be a massively attractive prospect at this level for the next guy that comes in.

He's been great for us, no doubt about it, but we've been great for him too and crucially nothing materially would change in that for the next person.

Too many believing every snippet of information and putting two and two together to make up their own answer.

Let's see how it plays out. The world will still turn regardless.

Ayr might well be an attractive proposition (much like Rovers were) when appointing a manager but that doesn't change that the candidate shortlist will undoubtedly be littered with dross. It really is slim pickings if you're looking just in Scotland.

26 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

They are very clearly overworked and rushed back.  Not sure that falls into the medical teams full responsibility.  

Doing well, early signs are good choice. 

In what way is it clear?

Or is “Brown is actually shite” just your contrarian opinion of choice for the season?

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Larne boss Tiernan Lynch, Peter Leven, and an unnamed manager of a "European club".

The Courier reported everyone on the shortlist either applied, or made the club aware they'd be interested. Whether you want to believe the Courier or not is up to you really, I genuinely have no idea what's true and what's not.

New owner has made it clear he wants a young manager who'll commit to trying to play "exciting" football, who'll commit to giving young players a chance, and who'll be willing to stay 2-3 years and help the club rebuild, either in the top flight or by getting back there in a better position than we're in, within that period.

If Brown, or his agent, has sold themselves to Saints that they tick some of those boxes then they'll obviously want a deeper talk about that.

I think Lynch is the actual favourite just now.

If he leaves Ayr after 8 months, 2 months into the new season, that’s hardly fitting this criteria.

Just now, eez-eh said:

If he leaves Ayr after 8 months, 2 months into the new season, that’s hardly fitting this criteria.

Is he leaving you in a better position than he found you and earning the club money?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Is he leaving you in a better position than he found you and earning the club money?

Yes. But that’s completely irrelevant to “will stay at the club for 2-3 years”, as you know. If your chairman is looking for stability then this would hardly be a ringing endorsement if it’s true.

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Ayr might well be an attractive proposition (much like Rovers were) when appointing a manager but that doesn't change that the candidate shortlist will undoubtedly be littered with dross. It really is slim pickings if you're looking just in Scotland.

Yeah it will be Barry Robson, Steven Naismith, Liam Fox, Neil McCann, Ian Murray etc.

Edited by Enigma

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Yes. But that’s completely irrelevant to “will stay at the club for 2-3 years”, as you know. If your chairman is looking for stability then this would hardly be a ringing endorsement if it’s true.

I don't they're naive enough to think a young manager doing well will stay. The stability is a big thing but the idea they move on next Summer for better things, having done a good job, wouldn't be a deal breaker IMO.

18 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Perhaps we can look to Northern Ireland? 😉

Spoiler

Totally appreciate what you're saying. 👍

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

In what way is it clear?

Or is “Brown is actually shite” just your contrarian opinion of choice for the season?

Training has been described as "intense" and "high risk high reward" by people on the inside.  Players are dropping like flies and incurring injury when returning to training.  It's clear. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Much of that is due to the chairman in fairness.  Whoever was in charge at Ayr at the moment would be getting well backed. I guess the risk for St Johnstone is that if the Hibs job comes up in 6 months time, Brown might be off again.  As I understand it, Ayr’s youth academy is separate from the club, so I’m not sure how much credit he gets for developing or playing Dylan Watret.  As a 17 year old, he’s head and shoulders better than any youth player I’ve seen come through at Ayr in my time watching the club, so would be getting plenty of game time this season whoever was manager.

The hard truth is Brown failed at Fleetwood,  has been in charge at Ayrfor 8 months, has done well, made mistakes, been unlucky, benefited from the feel goof factor of the new stand, been well backed by the chairman and had a top quality youngster handed to him on a plate.  On the other hand, he’s achieved nothing as yet and until the last 10 days has encountered no bumps in the road that demonstrate he can handle adversity.  Beyond the big name recognition, I’m not sure why St Johnstone are jumping in so quick.  

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Training has been described as "intense" and "high risk high reward" by people on the inside.  Players are dropping like flies and incurring injury when returning to training.  It's clear. 

What do you expect “people” to say when asked?  Training is tedious and not conducive to success?

3 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Sake! At least post a link to where we can buy them. I’m on my 4th pair of trousers and 2nd T-shirt. I was lying down when the VOR tweet dropped.

I think my missus gets mine from Asda, but I'll have to check