The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
19 minutes ago, rorymac7 said:
We would be daft to accept 100k, but 250k is a different story...
I'd hate to see Shanks leave but 250k is a lot of money.

Consider this scenario:
We sell Shanks for 250k, use 50k towards player budget plus whatever Shankland's wage is to sign another striker and possibly another player, we then bank 200k. The rest of the squad are good enough to stay up (he may be good, but Ayr are not solely the Lawrence Shankland show these days) so say we finish 8th, and we get 190k of league prize money. So we start next season with 390k in the bank.
2nd scenario:
Shanks stays. Has a glorious season, Ayr finish 5th, narrowly miss out on a play off slot, fans are elated. Shanks leaves on a free, leaving great memories behind. Ayr scoop 230k (ish) for league prize money. Our budget for next year is potentially 160k less than what it could be.

Now we know that next season, Lachlan is no longer topping up our playing budget, so long term financial stability and securing funds and income for the future is a massive thing for us just now. This is why we've secured a two year deal with McDonalds Ayr as we need to secure income for next year as well as this year. Now I'd love us to finish 5th and beat big teams along the way, but as we'll be facing 2019/20 without Shankland regardless (and likely that Mark Kerr and Stevie Bell will be the same) then I'd rather have more funds available to keep ourselves up again and really cement our place in the division.

The questions on top of this are: a) do you think the Ayr squad w/o Shanks but with another lesser striker are good enough to finish 8th? Or, b) do you think that with Shanks, we'll have a good cup run to bring in extra revenue, and on field success will increase crowds to a level that will cover what we would get from his sale. It's a tough question and one the club are no doubt trying to work out.

I reiterate, I'd hate to see him go, but for 250k, we most definitely need to consider the pros and cons along with our long term plans.

Let's worry about next season next season, to me this is the most exciting team in a generation, I don't even think there was as much optimism and buzz in the days of Walker, Teal, Hurst etc, for me it's stuff the money and go baws to the wall and see what we can achieve, maybe it's short sighted but when was the last time this club had so many people talking about it.

I don't think it's going baws to the wall keeping Shankland,  I think  we could make £100k + more this season with Shanks in the team, the board will be gambling with our long term loyalty if they punt Shankland.

51 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You cannae beat a bit of ZOMBIE NATION............

Have them come out to Glen Campbell Rinestone cowboy or Killing in the name of by rise against. 

Tbh, I think Sham 69 is the most suited for the team coming out, anything else would have critics all over it. 

48 minutes ago, shinglis said:

I think on Saturday that is the case, United with Pride will play. Not sure if a permanent change or just because of the new release. 

Well I hope it sticks around. The tunes at Somerset until lately have been very dated. Needed a new and fresh band to throw a nice wee tune in there for the fans to enjoy :-) 

Im personally of the belief that Neil Mccann has put a bid in for Shankland to try and unsettle him before the game at Dundee. At 100k, there was no way Ayr was going to settle at that and sell him.

Its an old Rangers tactic I'm sure, bid on the smaller teams best player, unsettle them, then win against them because of it.

Quite glad Mccall came out with his statement when he did. Can effect a young player, all the transfer nonsense. 

Edited by Roxanne's man

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Chumbawumba was also an old favourite, "I get knocked down, but I get up again"................

I mentally play myself out of my bed every morning with that, unless I'm in a more arrogant mood, in which case it's "My Way".

Totally agree with all your replies to my post. Attractive football and success brings the club through the door and I for one want him to stay, I'm just playing devils advocate by looking at it from the club's commercial side, especially when we know our already tight budget will drop significantly next season.

To be honest, all we need is one televised cup game, ideally one against Killie so the crowd is decent as well, and then hopefully some extra from the 500 fund and through the gates would make any short fall.

I'm also optimistic the likes of Rose, McDaid and Crawford will stay as D'Jaffo says. But I know from speaking to Stevie Bell a few months back that he was unsure about whether his legs could play championship football again, and with Mark Kerr's age, both could leave next summer and head down a tier, which could affect us if we also have others moving up a tier.

Another pro for keeping Shanks is a higher league finish will make us more attractive to potential new recruits should we have to bring a few bodies in next year.

Plus he needs a hattrick against Killie before he can go anywhere!

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You seen to know a lot about what football players are on. Away back to the Somerset Road End  Facebook page Ally, your intelligence and great wit is just lost on this thread. 

When you learn to speak correctly come back to me 

Gabrielle - Dreams can come true

Led Zeppelin - stairway to heaven

The beach boys - good vibrations

Yazz - only way is up

And on special occasions, like a cup game or that, they could play Minnie Ripperton - Loving you..... Id love to hear Somerset sing that. :-) 

Like the optimistic belief you will be 5-8th could be a very long year with automatic relegation £250k plus a loan back until January works for both parties and gives Ayr a decent shot at trying to stay up as maybe means you can afford a couple of signings to boost the squad 

Edited by GFARAB82

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Fitting songs for Ayr's campaign :

"Dream"  The Everley Brothers 

"Daydream Believer" The Monkees

"Down Down" Status Quo

'Nellie the elephant' by the toy dolls. 

Gets the crowd going a bit. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There is a third scenario in all this. We keep Shankland and make a push for the play offs. We either miss out and finish 5th or sneak into 4th (slim chance but not impossible) and guys like Shankland, Crawford, McDaid and Rose realise that the club is on the up and with another couple of signings we could get into the playoffs.

Doesn't quite work like that matey, if you finish 5th to 8th, full time teams will now be looking at your players as ones they know can play well in the championship, make bigger, improved offers to bring them in. 

The same happened to us last season, with Dundee Utd and Ross County able to offer big money to players they think are capable of getting them out this division.