🦄 Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇬🇪 Georgia 🐺

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We really didn't look up to much yesterday either.

Have people simply forgotten that?

I don't think people have overlooked that, but an away game against difficult opposition at the end of a tiring club season was never going to produce a Scotland performance for the purists, but the point is that by dint of hard endeavour the team kept themselves in the game and when the opportunities came, well by God we took them.

I've watched a lifetime of glorious Scottish failures and last night was sweet, let's just all enjoy it.

@Monkey Tennis we weren't massively at the races, but we weren't complete rubbish either. We put in an under par performance and came away with a win that, honestly, we could have added to as Norway were absolutely done. That speaks to the type of winning mentality I've never seen before in a Scotland team. In games past we would have thrown in the towel with those last ten, or sat back after the equaliser. We're a smashing side who have found a way of winning even when not entirely at it.

I understand you're accustomed to calamity, which has primed you to focus on the negatives and err on the side of extreme caution (the trauma response of most Scotland fans tbf), but we're a fine side, Georgia aren't terribly good, and we're not the side we were before. 

We're pumping them.

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

@Monkey Tennis we weren't massively at the races, but we weren't complete rubbish either. We put in an under par performance and came away with a win that, honestly, we could have added to as Norway were absolutely done. That speaks to the type of winning mentality I've never seen before in a Scotland team. In games past we would have thrown in the towel with those last ten, or sat back after the equaliser. We're a smashing side who have found a way of winning even when not entirely at it.

I understand you're accustomed to calamity, which has primed you to focus on the negatives and err on the side of extreme caution (the trauma response of most Scotland fans tbf), but we're a fine side, Georgia aren't terribly good, and we're not the side we were before. 

We're pumping them.

Nothing there to argue too strongly with, except perhaps the certainty of the ending.

We ought to win on Tuesday and I'll seethe if we don't.  I'm just used to more negativity/caution from you.  

It's perfectly conceivable that we'll not win on Tuesday.  Last night can just as easily be treated as a bad sign, as a good one.

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nothing there to argue too strongly with, except perhaps the certainty of the ending.

We ought to win on Tuesday and I'll seethe if we don't.  I'm just used to more negativity/caution from you.  

It's perfectly conceivable that we'll not win on Tuesday.  Last night can just as easily be treated as a bad sign, as a good one.

I’d tend to agree, but I’ll share some more positive reasoning.

We’ve lost 1 qualifier in the last 16 matches. We’ve lost two ‘home’ competitive games since 2019. 

The only draw in that time was Austria. If we go back to the England game in 2017, we’ve only lost to Russia, Ukraine and Belgium in competitive ‘home’ games at Hampden. The other points dropped were to Israel.

All in - we’ve been substantially improving and our results/performances at Hampden have been very good. 

Dropping points to Georgia on Tuesday would be an outlier in recent times.

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I’d tend to agree, but I’ll share some more positive reasoning.

We’ve lost 1 qualifier in the last 16 matches. We’ve lost two ‘home’ competitive games since 2019. 

The only draw in that time was Austria. If we go back to the England game in 2017, we’ve only lost to Russia, Ukraine and Belgium in competitive ‘home’ games at Hampden. The other points dropped were to Israel.

All in - we’ve been substantially improving and our results/performances at Hampden have been very good. 

Dropping points to Georgia on Tuesday would be an outlier in recent times.

Yes, it definitely would be.  

The longer term picture does certainly allow for optimism.  

There's also a wee bit spin involved, however, in removing the Czech and Croatian defeats at Hampden from the list of 'home' losses.  It's obviously a technicality that calls those venues neutral, or exempts the matches as not being qualifiers.

I don't want to paint myself into a corner here of saying we're shite, because we really aren't.  However, I don't think we can yet take for granted that we'll definitely hammer sides who aren't minnows. 

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it definitely would be.  

The longer term picture does certainly allow for optimism.  

There's also a wee bit spin involved, however, in removing the Czech and Croatian defeats at Hampden from the list of 'home' losses.  It's obviously a technicality that calls those venues neutral, or exempts the matches as not being qualifiers.

I don't want to paint myself into a corner here of saying we're shite, because we really aren't.  However, I don't think we can yet take for granted that we'll definitely hammer sides who aren't minnows. 

Even if you include the Czech and Croatian losses, that means our only defeats at home - using England 2-2 as a starting point - have been Belgium, Russia, Croatia (all pretty good teams, Ukraine are typically solid), with the Czechs and Ukrainians being the outliers, but are probably around our (typical) level anyway.

The wins against Spain and Denmark tip that scale of "big team" results back in our favour - so counting the Euro games as Home matches is a more balanced way of looking at it, I'd say. Pretty hard for even that to make us look shite.

3 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Even if you include the Czech and Croatian losses, that means our only defeats at home - using England 2-2 as a starting point - have been Belgium, Russia, Croatia (all pretty good teams, Ukraine are typically solid), with the Czechs and Ukrainians being the outliers, but are probably around our (typical) level anyway.

The wins against Spain and Denmark tip that scale of "big team" results back in our favour - so counting the Euro games as Home matches is a more balanced way of looking at it, I'd say. Pretty hard for even that to make us look shite.

Which will be why I'm at pains to explicitly say we're not shite.

Is balance genuinely not permitted in the Tartan Army section?  It makes the Covid thread look sane sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is balance genuinely not permitted in the Tartan Army section?  It makes the Covid thread look sane sometimes.

We're not shite. We have our moments but at this moment - hell, for the entire 2020s so far - we have been up among Europe's elite in terms of Home Form, Competitive Form, Goals:Games, and so forth.

The Optimism, and the subsequent ignorance towards balance, shown across the nation is quite well justified - though it will probably be our doom.

4 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

The Optimism, and the subsequent ignorance towards balance, shown across the nation is quite well justified - though it will probably be our doom.

I doubt if it'll be our doom - I don't see it having an impact.

There is ignorance involved though - you're right there.

Three changes for me (presuming Tierney isn't 100%) - all of them players that came on at the weekend.

Armstrong offers that added dynamism to support Dykes that was lacking.

Gilmour can help us control the game and allows McGinn to push on where he's most effective.

Cooper in because it's a back four and I'm not sold on a Hendry/Porteous partnership quite yet.

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 23.01.21.png

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Balance is entirely welcome but you aren’t showing any. You take such pains to not overplay a good result that you go too far the other way and I don’t think I’ve seen you say anything positive that wasn’t qualified with more negatives.

You don’t show balance by being as negative as you can because everyone else is overdoing the praise, you show balance by being able to see the good and the bad. 

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Three changes for me (presuming Tierney isn't 100%) - all of them players that came on at the weekend.

Gilmour can help us control the game and allows McGinn to push on where he's most effective.

Cooper in because it's a back four and I'm not sold on a Hendry/Porteous partnership quite yet.

I like the look of this side.  It has to be a back four if Tierney doesn't make it.

2-0 Scotland.

Georgia definitely in the nae mugs category at least in terms of individuals.

Valencias number 1, one of Napolis best players, a guy that’s scored 25 goals in Ligue 2 & regular starters from Shakhtar Donetsk, Red Star Belgrade, Sturm Graz, Lech Poznan & Slovan Bratislava among others.

Would bite your hand off for a 1-0 shitfest, we win this and a win in Cyprus (who are firmly in the mugs category) will do it.

Really hope we get a couple of goals early ish and it turns into an absolute party.

Saying all of that there’s no one in the world I trust to get a result more than Sir Steve.

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

It has to be a back four if Tierney doesn't make it.

Kieran Tierney trained today and appears to be in contention to play, so I'm not massively concerned about him.

Tired. Just tired. He (Tierney) didn’t join us for the training camp, not released by his club. He joined us at the start of this week and felt a bit of tightness in his quad so we just protected him all week. To get a good hour out of the lad was fantastic and shows that everybody is prepared to put their body on the line and then we are bringing on Liam Cooper who is a top-quality defender.

Steve Clarke

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/23598183.kieran-tierney-injury-fears-eased-arsenal-star-trains-scotland/

Edited by 2426255

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Hope SC had a chat with Porteous and Hendrie about keeping their hands to themselves.

Also I'd retain Christie to start.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Georgia definitely in the nae mugs category 

Cyprus (who are firmly in the mugs category)

Don’t know if you watched their game on Saturday mate, but looked to me like they were both in the same category. 
I believe we will comfortably turn this lot over. There, I said it.

With Tierney trending towards being available I think we might just keep the same XI to start with. Armstrong for Christie wouldn't totally shock me but my best guess is that we trot out the exact same team that started in Oslo. Of course the likes of Tierney, both wing backs, McGinn and Christie will be asked to push further forward in this game rather than the 5-4-1 flat we saw on Saturday.

Edited by Donathan