Forage Banking Arrangements

HTG

5 hours ago, strichener said:

Should probably get new sources.  The idea that GDPR prevents a customer from being provided their own personal information is the exact opposite of the purpose of the Data Protection Act. 

I think the author's point may be that the bank can rely on an exemption from the requirement to provide information.  That would suggest that some of the speculation about an investigation into dodgy money might be the root cause of the closure.  Not well expressed if that is his point.  

42 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

I think the author's point may be that the bank can rely on an exemption from the requirement to provide information.  That would suggest that some of the speculation about an investigation into dodgy money might be the root cause of the closure.  Not well expressed if that is his point.  

What exemption?  The crime and taxation exemption would not allow the bank to deny access to the reason for closure.

I thin it is more likely that the person writing the article is trying to lay it on thick that this is an EU law (it isn't) which has bit Farage on the arse. (It hasn't)

Edited by strichener

Farage is either too poor or his income streams are too dodgy for Coutts. He's been an arsehole politician for years and years so decisions to refuse him banking facilities are not going to be political. I'm sure he said that 9 banks have turned him down. He's surely not too poor for all of them. So ...

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

What exemption?  The crime and taxation exemption would not allow the bank to deny access to the reason for closure.

I thin it is more likely that the person writing the article is trying to lay it on thick that this is an EU law (it isn't) which has bit Farage on the arse.

Fair enough, thankfully I haven't had to look at this kind of thing for years and the crime and taxation exemption wasn't relevant to the work I did in the past.  Agree that referring to GDPR rather than the Data Protection Act 1998 suggests that the author may be making it up. 

6 hours ago, strichener said:

Should probably get new sources.  The idea that GDPR prevents a customer from being provided their own personal information is the exact opposite of the purpose of the Data Protection Act. 

Unless it was a credible tip-off from someone who, if the information was shared with Farage, would thenbecome instantly easily identifiable?

A moot point anyhoo, he’s just got less money than Coutts need.  

Two points on this

1. Coutts are a bank with specific requirements for its account holders. Coutts offers private banking and wealth management services for high net worth individuals and their families, 

2. All banks need to be on their game with this stuff.                  banks and PEPs - Google Search 

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Two points on this

1. Coutts are a bank with specific requirements for its account holders. Coutts offers private banking and wealth management services for high net worth individuals and their families, 

2. All banks need to be on their game with this stuff.                  banks and PEPs - Google Search 

You forgot point 3

3. Farage is a c**t. 

What’s the gain here, personally I’d much a bank didn’t do business with me as they thought I was a c**t over having my financies thrown out nation wide.   Seems the desperate throw of a spent entity.

For what’s is worth I’ve recently triggered an add for an off shore tax dodging scheme. This thread gets the blame

Edited by parsforlife

4 hours ago, PaddyCapri said:

It's looking more and more like a case of political persecution than anything to do with thresholds.

Nigel Farage: Coutts document 'shows bank account shut over my views' - BBC News

The Owners...Barclay Bros/Murdoch et al..........will read the wind....and tell their publications to do accordingly.

I went along to the Royal Bank to open an account.  They asked me what I thought about the Monarchy.  I laughed and told them I tried not to.

They were not amused.  My request was declined.

Understandable I suppose.

If Farage cannot explain where 6 figure deposits into his account were coming from then under UK law any bank would be obliged to end their arrangements with him. His defence seems to be "it's none of the banks business where ny money was coming from" but even he is not that stupid. I've had my own bank enquire several times about unusual deposits over the years, all very routine given the levels of fraud and money laundering going on.

IF his money was coming from the Russian state or Ogilarchs surely he wouldn't be stupid enough to have that going through a brand of a mainstream high street UK bank........

He really is a thick odious, racist p***k.

9 hours ago, PaddyCapri said:

It's looking more and more like a case of political persecution than anything to do with thresholds.

Nigel Farage: Coutts document 'shows bank account shut over my views' - BBC News

"Says he has evidence".

If he had it he would have published it.

The man is a vainglorious lying c**t.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

I'm not a lawyer but although, yes, there are civil liberties implications for everyone if service providers take political views into account, I would have thought that Farage would only have a case if he could demonstrate that he had been denied service because of a legally protected characteristic. 

If the bank said no because of Farage's colour or religion, presumably the bank would be in bother.   I'm not sure that's the case in the reasons the bank has had to reveal though.

Many years ago when dealing with a particularly awkward customer, a former boss of mine said that although the bloke was an annoying idiot, even annoying idiots have rights.