Financial arrangements in relationships.

Separate accounts, other than the mortgage. She works 1 day a week and looks after the boy full time. I pay for pretty much everything, and happily send her whatever money she needs for anything else that comes up.

The relationship described in the op sounds absolutely fucking dysfunctional and absolutely a divorce in the post. Let us know when it happens so someone else can get a shot at trying to mug the stupid c***s off.

We got a joint account when we got a mortgage - it seems bizarre to me that there are married couples who don't!

I know of a couple where the fella hadn't changed what he put into the 'spending' account in years and his partner ran up a humongous credit card bill just trying to run the house cause she was shit scared to ask him to up his contribution! He cleared the bill with spare cash he had sploshing around in his own account ... and now she fucking owes him it!! Absolutely fucking mental!!

Edited by Ned Nederlander

3 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

We got a joint account when we got a mortgage - it seems bizarre to me that there are married couples who don't!

I know of a couple where the fella hadn't changed what he put into the 'spending' account in years and his partner ran up a humongous credit card bill just trying to run the house cause she was shit scared to ask him to up his contribution! He cleared the bill with spare cash he had sploshing around in his own account ... and now she fucking owes him it!! Absolutely fucking mental!!

Nah that's wild

We rent now but dont have joint accounts because we never needed it tbh, 

I usually have spare cash sitting in my account but thats cause im more reserved with my dough (and she knows I'll happily give her a few bob at the end of the month if she needs it for something unplanned etc) 

Most of the bills are in my name as well so she gives me her share and potters on for the month, 

I couldn't imagine me sitting with a pot of cash while she's skint, even if she's spent her cash on shite I'll always give her more, if she's happy then its a fucking easier life for me lol

How people choose to run their finances is their own business, but the relationship described in the original post sounds like an abusive one and the lady needs to escape it. 

We have a joint account for the mortgage and most the direct debits, which is paid into proportionately by salary. I earn more, so pick up most of the other spend; the rest is our own money. 

Edited by Michael W

We Both have separate accounts,  the wife also has accounts set up for household bills, and one for holidays. We split the household bill money probably around 60-40% as i earn a wee bit more.

Reads as though Mr Stepdaughter doesn't see himself being around in the long term, and certainly doesn't see himself in a partnership.

The worst part is that there's a kid on the way. He already doesn't spend HIS money on family.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Reads as though Mr Stepdaughter doesn't see himself being around in the long term, and certainly doesn't see himself in a partnership.

The worst part is that there's a kid on the way. He already doesn't spend HIS money on family.

They have been married for 4.5 years and I haven’t heard of any dramas until this nonsense but you could be right. It could be an abusive relationship or they could both be at it for all I know. 

Me and mrs don’t have joint account, when we were applying for a mortgage they asked about the money I was spending on William hill and my mrs asked to see my bank statements for a while which wasn’t much fun if I’m honest.

I’ve never quite understood how a couple can use only one joint cheque account and one joint savings account.  What if you want to buy your partner a Christmas / birthday gift?  Would it not spoil the surprise when they see a Cartier or Rolex boutique debit on your joint internet banking statement? 

I pay the bills and contribute to the mortgage.

My wife pays the majority of the mortgage.

It works out equally as a % of what we earn. I'm self employed so cash flow can fluctuate 

We both pay into a shared account every month that goes towards big purchases for the house.

It works for us.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

I’ve never quite understood how a couple can use only one joint cheque account and one joint savings account.  What if you want to buy your bit on the side a Christmas / birthday gift?  Would it not spoil the surprise when they see a Cartier or Rolex boutique debit on your joint internet banking statement? 

FTFY

Been through three serious relationships that required financial entanglement:

Mrs a-p mkI insisted on a joint account. 20 years ago I was paying £1750/month into a f**k knows what blackhole. Think I was getting robbed blind.

When that marriage went south I had a great time by contributing to three households by paying maintenance (I still don’t know why, our boy spent his time 50/50 between us), running my own house and then also helping out with the household of the young lady I had started entertaining. 

That young lady and I ended up going our separate ways and suddenly my finances improved dramatically.

And now that the boy is grown up, I’m free of maintenance and Mrs a-p Mk.II pulls her own wage. Yay!!

Pre-Covid we kinda split spending ad hoc. Once Covid came, I became the designated shopper. Now we (I) have insisted on an end of month reconciliation of household spend and I ask for half back which she’s on board with. Including her Amazon spend on makeup and shit like that.  

tl.dr: I’m a mug*.  

Spoiler

*but life’s too short.