Falkirk v Queens

1 hour ago, BPM Again said:

Queens were pathetic. Made absolutely no effort to get forward and started to waste time after 20 minutes. If I were a Queens fan I would want that manager out tonight. Every other team that has come to TFS has at least tried to get forward. Any manager can set up to stop the opposition. 
Bartley got what he deserved. Queens fans deserve better. 

Agreed.

It is hard to describe just how disappointing and depressing it is to watch our team under MB. We took a decent following to Falkirk (all things considered) and I have never experienced a more apathetic support in any QOS match that I have attended. Our supporters were not engaged in the match.  It shows how far we have fallen when as a FT team we go away to another team in L1 and set up to keep the score down. We don't even attempt to try and win the game - worse still when we go 0-1 down shortly after HT we don't show any urgency to try and get back into the match :-

• no dangerous attacks in 90 minutes
  • 2 shots neither on target
  • No corners
  • Plenty of aimless possession deep in our own half

The number of times we get possession in the opposition half and the ball suddenly arrives back at the feet of our GK? 

Our Manager should be ashamed of that performance - not necessarily the result as we could have given it a "real go" and shipped a few goals but the manner of the defeat. The dreadful tactics, the insipid, ineffectual passing game that carries no "cutting edge" and doesn't serve to engage with the loyal supporters (who incidentally deserve much better than they are getting).

I totally absolve 3 players from blame - Stone was excellent, ably supported by Efe and McLelland. 

Well done to Falkirk - it has taken McGlyn a while to stamp his authority on the proceedings but you can see his influence and the attacking intent.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agreed.

It is hard to describe just how disappointing and depressing it is to watch our team under MB. We took a decent following to Falkirk (all things considered) and I have never experienced a more apathetic support in any QOS match that I have attended. Our supporters were not engaged in the match.  It shows how far we have fallen when as a FT team we go away to another team in L1 and set up to keep the score down. We don't even attempt to try and win the game - worse still when we go 0-1 down shortly after HT we don't show any urgency to try and get back into the match :-

• No corners

The number of times we get possession in the opposition half and the ball suddenly arrives back at the feet of our GK? 

Our Manager should be ashamed of that performance - not necessarily the result as we could have given it a "real go" and shipped a few goals but the manner of the defeat. The dreadful tactics, the insipid, ineffectual passing game that carries no "cutting edge" and doesn't serve to engage with the loyal supporters (who incidentally deserve much better than they are getting).

I totally absolve 3 players from blame - Stone was excellent, ably supported by Efe and McLelland. 

Well done to Falkirk - it has taken McGlyn a while to stamp his authority on the proceedings but you can see his influence and the attacking intent.

I await the managers interview where that Brown woman comes on and says. “Well Marvin, what is your reaction to the game today, frustration?” An agreed line prior to the interview. 

Don’t want to sound patronising either but I also echo the comments by fellow Bairns, Queens fans deserve so much better especially considering the distance you have to travel for away games. That is one of the most negative performances I’ve seen from a team at TFS. You even had a full half to come back at us and never really did. I heard a Falkirk fan on Clyde SSB hammering Bartley for his tactics, and thankfully we don’t need to watch that every week. 

Just now, Tea and Busquets said:

Don’t want to sound patronising either but I also echo the comments by fellow Bairns, Queens fans deserve so much better especially considering the distance you have to travel for away games. That is one of the most negative performances I’ve seen from a team at TFS. You even had a full half to come back at us and never really did. I heard a Falkirk fan on Clyde SSB hammering Bartley for his tactics, and thankfully we don’t need to watch that every week. 

Don't take it as patronising in any way.

We do deserve better but the saddest thing is that very few if any of us are surprised and indeed there's more acceptance rather than annoyance. Sad really.

12 minutes ago, BPM Again said:

I await the managers interview where that Brown woman comes on and says. “Well Marvin, what is your reaction to the game today, frustration?” An agreed line prior to the interview. 

Sandra does these interviews on behalf of QOS TV - ie she's working for the club in that respect.  So she's hardly going to give the manager a grilling and ask him why he hasn't been sacked yet ...  You'd need an independent media outlet for that sort of interview.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Don't take it as patronising in any way.

We do deserve better but the saddest thing is that very few if any of us are surprised and indeed there's more acceptance rather than annoyance. Sad really.

It is sad that we seem to be just accepting it now but the saddest thing is the board appear to be the same!

It felt a bit to me like Bartley’s main hope of getting anything was an aimless lump up the park and hoping Coll or Tam would slip or make a mistake. I feel for Queens fans as we’ve had our fair share of set up not to get beat merchants in this league. Defensively you look sound but I just don’t see where the goals are coming from.

1 minute ago, bod said:

It is sad that we seem to be just accepting it now but the saddest thing is the board appear to be the same!

I think our BOD see financial stability as the main objective for the club, with on the field performance lagging way behind as a distant second priority.

It's a Catch-22 situation ... lack of investment produces poor performances year on year.  Poor performances year on year produce ever dwindling attendances.  Constantly decreasing attendances result in smaller playing budgets each year.  We all know where this is going ...

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

It's a Catch-22 situation ... lack of investment produces poor performances year on year.  Poor performances year on year produce ever dwindling attendances.  Constantly decreasing attendances result in smaller playing budgets each year.  We all know where this is going ...

Do we?

I don't know if you're implying that it ends in further relegations taking us out the league altogether, or in us facing reality and becoming part-time.

Personally, I think it's bloody grim, but that we surely can't be far now from it bottoming out.  Shite as we are, there are many smaller clubs than ours around us, and even above us.  

I see it bumping along, much as Distant Doonhamer predicted.  We'll piss about this year going nowhere, and quite possibly start next season in a similar vein.   I find it incredibly dispiriting and I sense that I'd better get used to it.  I'm not saying it can't get worse, but I don't agree with those suggesting it inevitably must.

33 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agreed.

• No corners

With the benefit of some  reflection . 

For

i thought the entire defence was well organised and pretty doughty ( apart from the slip that caused the goal). 

it was always going to be a difficult task against a now 24 game unbeaten Falkirk. 

We did try to change our shape through the introduction of attacking subs.  

Against

it was freezing and one of the grimmest league games I’ve ever had to sit through as a Queens fan. 

My heart sank when I saw the team lines as it smacked of a manager under pressure trying to avoid a heavy defeat. This is unacceptable as we are a full time team that should be challenging for the title. We set up to get a 0-0 and didn’t have an effective plan B. 

We went back to square balls and triangles at the back with no pace, movement or forward runs. Just the way we played our way to defeat in number of games this season and we have lost the attacking zest we showed at Cove, for instance. 

To my mind we are much better when we try to attack other teams rather than playing rope a dope. It was ghastly to watch. 

Midfield showed no creativity and I felt for Hutchison stuck on his own up front. I can’t remember a game where we didn’t have a meaningful attack all game never mind a shot at goal. I would give up going to football if I had to watch that negative approach every week. 

For me Stone and the back 4 got pass marks as did Hutchison who played the lone striker role well. The rest were dung and the subs made us worse. 

For me we need to pick up 3-4 experienced,  hard and better players in the window. 

Our season doesn’t hinge on today, eye bleedingly bad as it was to watch, but on grinding out results to get us into 4th. 

I do agree that it’s depressing not to see us as being competitive with all  teams in the league and I hate the slow, boring  square passing followed by a pointless punt up the park. 

The real benchmark will be against Alloa next week. We need to redeem ourselves with an attacking performance and a win.  I wouldn’t change MB at the moment but we have to do better than this and the players need to step up. 

By the way congratulations to Falkirk: big, strong with quick and accurate passing resulting in some excellent crosses and could have won by more on another day. 

2 minutes ago, bod said:

And this is perhaps the most infuriating thing about the club.  Four full-time clubs the division.  Falkirk, after several seasons of underachievement now have a side that would hold their own in the Championship, and an experienced manager in place.  Hamilton have responded to relegation by investing heavily in what on paper looks like a good squad.  Cove, after a sluggish start, have pretty much got third place in their pocket which is probably exactly the minimum expectation that their board has for this season's league position.

Our lot on the other hand, despite having witnessed a number of seasons of disappointment, a relegation and general underachievement which has led to us having comfortably become the worst full-time club in the country by some margin, seem content to be served up dross on the pitch and tolerate embarrassment off it (the George Galloway incident, the Gamergate interview).

Managers outstay their welcome, usually by at least six months, and are replaced by rookies who don't seem to know how to fix problems that they created in the first place.  As @Otis Blue has just posted, the be all and end all for the board seems to be holding onto what money the club has at all costs, even if by doing so they accelerate the decline. 

I have absolutely no idea what targets or ambitions the board has for the club in either the short or long term.  They don't like communicating with the fans when it comes to these matters at all.  So one has to assume that they are content with the way things are chugging along provided that an acceptable matchday income is accrued to keep the bank balance level.  

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Do we?

I don't know if you're implying that it ends in further relegations taking us out the league altogether, or in us facing reality and becoming part-time.

Personally, I think it's bloody grim, but that we surely can't be far now from it bottoming out.  Shite as we are, there are many smaller clubs than ours around us, and even above us.  

I see it bumping along, much as Distant Doonhamer predicted.  We'll piss about this year going nowhere, and quite possibly start next season in a similar vein.   I find it incredibly dispiriting and I sense that I'd better get used to it.  I'm not saying it can't get worse, but I don't agree with those suggesting it inevitably must.

C’mon MT there is no way this is bottoming out at League 1 or League 2 level.

We are going all the way down to Southern Counties at this rate. No full time team should be struggling in League 1, yet we are. 

Full-time or part-time won’t make any difference with this board in charge in my opinion. The ground is falling down as are the team.

I genuinely thought the season an Act of God Saved us (covid season 2019/20) from relegation that we couldn’t get much worse. That team look like 70’s Ajax in comparison. 

In my opinion we are fucked as things stand. 

52 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Sandra does these interviews on behalf of QOS TV - ie she's working for the club in that respect.  So she's hardly going to give the manager a grilling and ask him why he hasn't been sacked yet ...  You'd need an independent media outlet for that sort of interview.

Well aware what she is but they are the most stage managed ones I have ever seen. Nauseating 

11 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Who was Queens number 17?  Does he always roll around on the ground for most of the match?

Alex Ferguson.  According to Bartley, when he signed him:

Manager Marvin Bartley said, "Alex is a highly rated player who is great on the ball. He is technically gifted and uses his speed to get past people so should fit in well with the way we want to play. 

Bartley was right for once.  He is a perfect fit for a team that seems to have been instructed to serve up aimless dross.

2 hours ago, BPM Again said:

Queens were pathetic. Made absolutely no effort to get forward and started to waste time after 20 minutes. If I were a Queens fan I would want that manager out tonight. Every other team that has come to TFS has at least tried to get forward. Any manager can set up to stop the opposition. 
Bartley got what he deserved. Queens fans deserve better. 

Is an indictment of where we are that my first reaction to that post is full agreement. Even when it's banter, if someone calls your side shite it can get your back up a wee bit. I have absolutely no energy to defend us just now. 

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

So, if they are operating on the same basis, Bartley should be sacked now.

Sadly I doubt they are. We all know why Gibson was really chucked and I fully expect Bartley to see his time out if he isn't sacked this month. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Agree both that Queens got exactly what they deserved and also that paying fans should be demanding better. 

We should have thumped them really. Also, yet another team who seem to lose the rag after 70 minutes. McClellands wee tantrums in the corner trying to dispossess Alfie were good. 

The boy has a chance of making it as he does possess some decent attributes if very raw. But he does appear to be a complete fanny. The way he swaggers about the pitch annoys me more than it should and the number of stupid fouls he gives away is ridiculous. If he screws the nut and cuts that shit out he'll have a very good career. 

2 hours ago, Frankie S said:

This team are a tough watch. No ambition, no urgency, no presence in midfield, no pace, no guile, no attacking threat whatsoever. 

The ambition lies at the feet of the manager. I've watched Gibson often enough (before he joined the first team) to know he'll run at defenders constantly if he gets the ball. I expect there are others who are the same. If the manager is instructing against that then there isn't much the players can do. Urgency is the same. I do agree we have very little in the middle though. As I've said time and again, without Cochrane we're absolutely hopeless in the middle. We possess players with pace and attacking threat as well. 

The reality is we have some decent players in there but for whatever reason they're not being given the chance to show it. The buck stops with Bartley IMO and our shite performances lie firmly at his door. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

The only kind of defence for Bartley is that he will have known if he'd tried to go toe to toe with a decent Falkirk side with this squad (aye, his squad ...) we'd have been absolutely hammered, and I guess given that he's trying to keep his job it's then not exactly surprising that he's gone for minimal damage.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this tbh. It kind of follows on from my point above. We have players in that squad who are more than capable of doing damage to sides. We basically went toe-to-toe with Motherwell early in the season and got a draw. I expect if we opened up more we would indeed be more likely to concede but equally I think we'd likely do damage at the other end. I'd rather go down to a 4-3 defeat trying, than going down 1-0 without even attempting to lay a glove on the opposition. 

The more I think about those stats today the madder I get. Absolutely pathetic stuff from Bartley. 

18 minutes ago, BPM Again said:

Well aware what she is but they are the most stage managed ones I have ever seen. Nauseating 

Aye, they're usually a tough watch. My main grief is that she usually states the expected answer and then asks the related question, ie gets it the wrong way round.

I hate to criticise her though as she's also a genuine fan and I'm sure she doesn't get paid for her time.

29 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

C’mon MT there is no way this is bottoming out at League 1 or League 2 level.

We are going all the way down to Southern Counties at this rate. No full time team should be struggling in League 1, yet we are. 

Full-time or part-time won’t make any difference with this board in charge in my opinion. The ground is falling down as are the team.

I genuinely thought the season an Act of God Saved us (covid season 2019/20) from relegation that we couldn’t get much worse. That team look like 70’s Ajax in comparison. 

In my opinion we are fucked as things stand. 

It's not often I'm beaten for pessimism, but hats off on this occasion.

No full time side should struggle down here but Falkirk did for long enough on gates of 4,000, so it's hardly unprecedented.  

As for the board, I've been critical enough of stuff before, but I'm struggling to see what I'd be criticising here. 

We did stay full-time.  We have appointed a manager most of us backed. 

I get the argument that suggests systemic failings given how long we've been in decline.  However, I couldn't pinpoint those particular failings with confidence, so without shouting at clouds, I'm not sure what exactly I'm meant to be looking for.