The New Raith Rovers Thread

It would be a big risk for Murray, a rebuilding job given their lack of contracted players and probably favourites to go down next season but I imagine Nelms et al think they're much better than that. Could be a short lived gig.

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

It would be a big risk for Murray, a rebuilding job given their lack of contracted players and probably favourites to go down next season but I imagine Nelms et al think they're much better than that. Could be a short lived gig.

That is my thinking too- it seems the job has already been turned down by Callum Davidson and you have to ask why.   They didn't run away with the Championship or blow anyone out of the water so they will need a significant amount of rebuilding to stay up.

Whether Murray decided to take the job if offered it probably depends on a combination of the budget he's told he'll be given and the amount of confidence he has in himself.

I hope Murray stays, I think this season with a full pre-season getting in his own players and our new regime was looking really promising, hope it's just rumours, I suppose time will tell.  

Scott McGill repeatedly crediting Murray for how good he's been with him. Not that McGill is critical to success, but there's a young 'un who will have good reason to be as pissed off as us.

Is there potentially conflict with the technical "support" and "advice" Murray would be getting from Potter etc in the new structure? Overlap? Overshadowing?

Barrowman has said more than once that the board believes Murray is the right man for the job. They've made a clear statement by backing his signings so far and securing Connolly for 2/3 years, so why let him walk away from a contract to the 1st club that flashes its knickers? 

14 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Chance to manage in the Premiership and more money, though. That's hard to turn down. 

I also think he'll be on a hiding to nothing taking that job, but you can't fault him if he is offered it and takes it. 

It was discussed at the time but with us Murray's first year was really a case of clearing out the rubbish and trying to put things in place for the club to grow, we finished 5th in League 1 that year. Seems to be parallels with Raith this season. In the following years we finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd and this year with largely Murray's squad, 3rd and promotion.

From the outside it doesn't look like he's done anything remarkable in his first year at Raith but I'm sure he's been doing a lot of good work that will pay off over the next couple of seasons. Be interesting to see if he stays to see the benefits of that, but I guess even if he doesn't Raith will be in a better place now than they were.

Letting him speak to Dundee makes sense. No harm in allowing him to have that conversation. It’s only if he then expresses that desire to leave that it becomes an issue for you. I think he’d be foolish to walk away from a club/board that believe in him and will back him, to go to Dundee.

I also think it would be a strange appointment for Dundee. They’re not exactly known for giving managers time and Murray is the type of manager they would need to be patient with. I think he will do well at Rovers if he stays. He’s a good manager and the board seem to be backing him to build a squad to fit his philosophy/ideas. But he’s not the man to bring in when you need instant results.

I'd be a bit disappointed to see Murray go as he feels a good fit for what the new owners are aiming for and seems like a likeable manager who the squad want to play for which is a pull for attracting players. However, I don't think it would be the end of the world. The disappointment would really be measured by who the club could find to replace him, seeing the list for the Dundee and Queens Park jobs doesn't inspire confidence but I don't think he'd be impossible to replace.

Couldn't grudge him wanting the move either. You'd imagine he'd be offered a higher salary in a higher division and the chance to completely bring in his own squad given how few players Dundee have signed up must be attractive (dependent on board backing/finances offered).

Talk about how to piss people off, only happens with the Rovers, Murray should he go has a far bigger job on his hands than when he came to us and ultimately when they're propping up the Premiership he'll get the bullet

On his own head be it if he takes it

Seen all the posts and got excited we had announced another new player.  Wasn’t expecting this.

I know it would be a league up and more money but seems like a crazy choice if he goes with it.  Build an entire team and hope you hit the ground running or probably be out of a job by Christmas.

11 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Typical Rovers🤣 continuity just isn’t our thing, Potter as manager gives me the fear. 

Potter won’t get for various Reasons, The new owners won’t be trusted by fans and they wouldn’t want that, Season Ticket Sales could be affected, and gate money could be reduced and I don’t think they would want to take that risk