Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

People who don't like cricket are almost entirely bandwagon jumpers who just know that it's socially the right thing to say in Scotland and will lie about having actually watched it.

A lot of Scots had this attitude to tennis until Andy Murray came along.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

People who don't like cricket are almost entirely bandwagon jumpers who just know that it's socially the right thing to say in Scotland and will lie about having actually watched it.

Cricket is fantastic. In many ways a better spectator sport than football. Miles better to attend in person than football in general.

I went to watch Glamorgan one time. There was a mild drizzle so it was cancelled and i spent a whole day off in the pub. 

Cancelled cricket was quite good

I once had an American lad tell me that he supposed the reason Europeans liked football was they weren't used to the excitement of a high scoring game like basketball. He was being serious.

Generally, I enjoy most sports live. Less so on television. I've been to two NBA games, both freebies, and I've never been so bored in my life. I saw a few top level cricket games when I was in Australia and to my surprise, thoroughly enjoyed them. Can't imagine watching it on TV though.

Basketball bores me though I started watching College Basketball during lockdown and have to admit I really enjoyed it. Unlike the top leagues, they don't score every time there is an attack. Makes it much better to watch IMO.

Went to a basketball game in Houston and there was a group of ‘ultras’ type fans who were middle class white folk in their 40s and 50s and older.

They shouted something like ‘go billy go billy’ then this old dude did a weird dance down the steps and they all went daft.

A mascot appeared on a motorbike and fired T-shirt’s out a cannon at kids at half time.

8 foot Chinese guy scored nearly all the points.

Never thought I’d miss standing in the rain at Cowdenbeath tbh but it happened. 

This is all too good and polished, where’s all the shite stuff?

24 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Went to a basketball game in Houston and there was a group of ‘ultras’ type fans who were middle class white folk in their 40s and 50s and older.

They shouted something like ‘go billy go billy’ then this old dude did a weird dance down the steps and they all went daft.

A mascot appeared on a motorbike and fired T-shirt’s out a cannon at kids at half time.

8 foot Chinese guy scored nearly all the points.

Never thought I’d miss standing in the rain at Cowdenbeath tbh but it happened. 

This is all too good and polished, where’s all the shite stuff?

There used to be an American military base in Edzell, just up the road from Montrose

I remember one Mo game at Links Park this squad of American sailors or Marines or whatever turned up. They spent the whole match chanting "123 123 123 MONTROSE" while doing a little dance that involved spinning around and throwing their baseball caps in the air.

Basketball is one of the few sports that has ever given me the same rush to play as football has which is a shame as it suffers from the same defect as rugby which is that at any competitive level it is massively biased towards people who are in some way physical freaks. Football beats them both because a wee 5 foot 7 (?) Lionel Messi can be the best to have ever kicked a ball based purely on talent whereas nobody under 6' 4 will ever make it in the NBA and nobody who's not built like a brick shithouse will make it as a rugby player. 

Of the seven currently active NBA players who have won MVP three are under 6’4” (Steph Curry, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook). Average height of an NBA point guard is 6’2”. But obviously height is a huge advantage in basketball.

While doing a quick google about that I found out that, a couple of years ago, of all the American men aged 20-40 who were seven feet tall more than a quarter (28%) were NBA players.

There used to be an American military base in Edzell, just up the road from Montrose
I remember one Mo game at Links Park this squad of American sailors or Marines or whatever turned up. They spent the whole match chanting "123 123 123 MONTROSE" while doing a little dance that involved spinning around and throwing their baseball caps in the air.

Oddballs

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Basketball is one of the few sports that has ever given me the same rush to play as football has which is a shame as it suffers from the same defect as rugby which is that at any competitive level it is massively biased towards people who are in some way physical freaks. Football beats them both because a wee 5 foot 7 (?) Lionel Messi can be the best to have ever kicked a ball based purely on talent* whereas nobody under 6' 4 will ever make it in the NBA and nobody who's not built like a brick shithouse will make it as a rugby player. 

*and PEDs