The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m also sure that, like many clubs including us, Hamilton will suffer badly with the amount of bigots and glory hunters living in Scotland.

Our office is in High Blantyre & I worked there for a number of years before COVID. Interacted with a number of football fans but not once did I meet an Accies fan sadly, not a proper one anyway. Just the odd Rangers fan with a soft spot.

Old Firm, Motherwell, Hearts & weirdly another Bairns fan as well as me in that office but no Accies. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

We only sold 320 last season. We are never going to sell many but that figure will go up a fair bit when/if there is confirmation of Colin McGowan leaving.

I am genuinely gobsmaked by Hamilton only having 300 odd season ticket holders.  Not making a dig at them, I just find it difficult to understand how any full-time professional football team can survive with so few.  I understand that geographically Hamilton lose most of their potential fans to the old firm but where is the money coming from for even basic club operations?  If Falkirk had so few season ticket holders we would be playing in the South of Scotland league by now.  Gobsmacked.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

27 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I am genuinely gobsmaked by Hamilton only having 300 odd season ticket holders.  Not making a dig at them, I just find it difficult to understand how any full-time professional football team can survive with so few.  I understand that geographically Hamilton lose most of their potential fans to the old firm but where is the money coming from for even basic club operations?  If Falkirk had so few season ticket holders we would be playing in the South of Scotland league by now.  Gobsmacked.

You do wonder how they can finance full time football in this league on that number. 

Do we not have any fans that play the trumpet or something like that. I've heard them leading the crowd at various sports events starting the songs and it's excellent. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You do wonder how they can finance full time football in this league on that number. 

Do we not have any fans that play the trumpet or something like that. I've heard them leading the crowd at various sports events starting the songs and it's excellent. 

Like this?

46 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I thought exactly the same. A rough scan of our West Stand and I would hazard a guess of that being around about our season ticket numbers last season and we can not fund Full Time football on that income.

12 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Like this?

Has to be one of my all time favourite music videos.......but I've never quite known why...I better keep watching it until I can work it out!

25 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

108 adult tickets, 87 over 65s and 72 under 18s so more than half of those sold won't even be full price.  Unless there's private investment, there must be a chunky operating loss there.  

Accies just made £450k selling Forsyth to Norwich and McDonald to Leeds. One will be heading to Brighton soon so that will be another £250k and still rumours of Fulton leaving so that should keep us Ok this season.

13 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Accies just made £450k selling Forsyth to Norwich and McDonald to Leeds. One will be heading to Brighton soon so that will be another £250k and still rumours of Fulton leaving so that should keep us Ok this season.

Do you boys not own your ground and make decent money renting it out for weddings and stuff?

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

53 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I doubt we'll have an awful lot more. Depends what you count. We had about 1,000 child season tickets last season but those were free so people just took them, rarely more than 200 actually turned up and given they were free it's frankly irrelevant. They aren't free this season, they are £18 (£1 a game) so they'll cascade down to something under 400 I imagine.

We give all the people who enter our Shirt Sponsorship draw a season ticket too which accounts for another 160 or so. In terms of adults and concessions actually paying for a tickets we'll be 300 - 400 I imagine. At the end of the day of course season ticket numbers are comparatively irrelevant. What's relevant is the gate receipts. If two clubs have the same average gate and one has 500 season ticket holders and the other 1,000 of them the one with less season ticket holders will have bigger gate receipts. Not that I'm suggesting either us or Hamilton will have bigger gate receipts, we clearly will be dwarfed, but there is a tendency at some clubs to fixate on season ticket numbers as if it's all that matters. Clubs like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Partick and Raith offer significantly bigger discounts on season tickets than we do (no idea about Hamilton) and tend to focus much more on the sales of them. We've never, even when we had decent gates, sold a particularly high percentage of season tickets. The only years we sold loads were the ones we shared a division with Rangers and Hearts and it was the only way to be sure of getting a seat.

At the end of the day you survive by cutting cloth accordingly, and by maximising other revenue streams where possible. And relying enormously on the goodwill of Directors businesses, other local businesses and sponsors and volunteers.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

They make a fortune from hiring out their stadium. In fact in the past it I was told it out stripped the money we bring in from ST’s. 

It's not like we just sell season tickets though. From the Premiership to Championship to League 1 something that has always remained consistent is that we have around 1k walk-up home fans. Even if Hamilton had that (they dont) you really have to wonder how on earth they can sustain full time football at those levels 

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Will standing at the front not cause issues for anyone sitting behind them? 

Acoustically are you not better at the back aswell? Sound in theory should reverberate with the stand rather than escape into the ether.