The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I was a knicker wetter until i watched that woman doing yoga on an advert. Problem solved as i just " let it all go "

Hope you remembered the pad?

5 hours ago, SuperTuesday said:

Out of interest, what's your span of games of at the moment that you are genuinely concerned over?

Kelty, Annan and Cove? The more I think of it though, our crossing is still creating a decent amount of chances, and I feel like MacIver has missed at least one gilt-edged chance per game, and that's maybe the difference at the moment. He cuts a rather frustrated figure of late, and is maybe getting into his own head a little bit. His misses are maybe making some of these matches tighter than they need to be. I definitely still want him in the squad next season, but a more clinical striker is an absolute must.

4 hours ago, StuartA said:

What would that Plan B look like and how would it be better than our record so far? Plan B last night was to bring Miller on, and it worked. 

I'd argue that the goal was scored from going more central, so we did change it up more than simply bringing on a like-for-like sub. Mackie tucked in, giving Miller more space, and as we all know, Miller's off the ball movement is fantastic.

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

I actually think the lack of goals is due to us being at the business end of the season. At least 7 teams in the league will be playing us thinking a point would be magnificent but aim to avoid a heavy defeat. As points become more precious the more likely we are to see teams just try and frustrate us rather than score a goal themselves. 

That was as good as a win for Annan at the weekend. 

100%. Teams know now that if they open up and try to win the game, they'd probably be 4-0 down at HT. It can be quite frustrating, but it is what it is, and I suppose it's a huge compliment to us and how much other teams fear us.

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I think the only Plan B we could have would be a change in system, otherwise you're replacing like for like. That would probably mean bringing Shanley on to partner MacIver meaning that we would need to lose either a defender by going 3 at the back, a defensive mid or a winger. 

I'm not sure that we should consider moving away from the system that's served us so well, unless we're chasing a game late on?

See, the issue I have with Shanley is that he's very similar to MacIver. I'm not saying sending Allan out on loan was the wrong decision, it was absolutely the right one, but what I am saying though is that it's all about horses for courses. When you're dealing with 11 men behind the ball, with a packed box, MacIver coming short to link up play doesn't really help as much as a penalty box poacher probably would, and we don't possess anyone with that skillset. Definitely need someone like that for next season as an alternative option.

48 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

I'd argue that the goal was scored from going more central, so we did change it up more than simply bringing on a like-for-like sub. Mackie tucked in, giving Miller more space, and as we all know, Miller's off the ball movement is fantastic.

So that’s Plan B. That’s what I’m getting at. All the “plan B” talk suggests that some think McGlynn is a one-trick pony. I think it’s more complex than that.  Proof of the pudding will be how we fare in the Championship against stronger sides, but I do hope expectations will be measured. 

Not a huge rotation fan..can see the point of Ross for miller ...even Mackie for McCann but spine should be left & that includes Hogarth...on the plus side I've watched my team scoosh the league whilst still making money (100/1 in play for Edinburgh city..thanks sky bet..nice cashoot).. results like that won't matter a f**k shortly...can't wait to see us lift a league trophy again..I was there for stainrod on the table & I'll be there for this one COYB

As much as I agree with the plan b thinking, hopefully next season in the Championship will see teams being more open trying to win games instead of setting up to frustrate and nick a point which would then give our own players more space to play. Though I would also think it will be harder to score if we did concede first. 

It was obvious v Annan that they were happy to concede the wide areas and head away crosses all day, our goal came from a ball through the middle. 

On another note, now that Tam Lang missed the Cove game am I right in thinking Captain Coll is the only player to play every minute of every game so far this season? If so, that's outstanding considering he had some suspensions last season, the captaincy must be focusing his game more

Edited by FK1Bairn

The championship next season looks like it’ll have no part-time teams in it. For every season we were there before there was at least 1 or 2 part-time teams. It’s going to be competitive and even clubs like Ayr think they have a right to be top half. I think the team we have at the moment will do ok but we probably do need to strengthen well in the summer. 

2 hours ago, Balde Bairn said:

The championship next season looks like it’ll have no part-time teams in it. For every season we were there before there was at least 1 or 2 part-time teams. It’s going to be competitive and even clubs like Ayr think they have a right to be top half. I think the team we have at the moment will do ok but we probably do need to strengthen well in the summer. 

There is a core of 4 - 6 that will cut it in a higher league and a major rebuild in the closed season will take place.

Few surprise departures and arrivals.

What a nice problem - but it depends on getting up. So go canny until it happens.

12 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There is a core of 4 - 6 that will cut it in a higher league and a major rebuild in the closed season will take place.

What a nice problem - but it depends on getting up. So go canny until it happens.

I think we've got 11 signed at the moment? So I hope they're all capable of cutting it at L1 level. 

13 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Major rebuild puts the fear of death into me! Previous rebuilds ie Hartley,Hughes,McKinnon caused major problems. We have a lot more than 6 who could handle the step up - if it comes!

I don’t agree that there’s a major rebuild in the pipeline. Looks like we’ll have a full complement of outfield players plus a couple. JMcG will have time to consider where he needs more quality or depth and he’ll have an element of certainty over the budget (though that’s down to us too). I’d hope the majority of this squad get the chance to prove themselves in the Championship. Airdrie and DA squads have competed without many changes. 

Edited by StuartA

18 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Airdrie and DA squads have competed without many changes. 

Airdrie are surely where we should see ourselves next season. Possibly not strong enough to win the Championship outright, but definitely good enough to pick up wins consistently and push for the play-offs. If that's what next season ends up looking like, I'd be pretty happy with that.

We often talk about players playing for the jersey and it is not common. I think that this team is the first for a long time that has showed a great desire to do well for Falkirk. I am sure that the Ultras 1876 play a big part in the development of that feeling on the park. You only have to look at the team approaching that section after a win to see the strong connection. 

Problem is Dunfermline are only two points off the relegation playoff spot and Airdrie 5. I'd like to hope we could get ourselves in a position where we are pretty safe from worrying about that with 9 games to go next season.

If I was a pars fan though I'd be asking how the hell they are now 3 points behind a side they finished 21 points ahead of last season

Edited by Shodwall cat