The Falkirk FC Thread

Barclay has more first team experience than Andrews having been out on loan before and was in under 21 squads before he became too old. If your basis for choosing Andrews is that Barclay "looks overweight" I'd wager you've never seen either play.

Also Yogi didnt rate Barclay......so maybe we shouldve kept him as per his record of recognising goalkeepers....

Still strange, Shire fans I spoke to tonite at the 5s thot both were decent keepers, tho shaded towards Andrews, he has had plenty of practice I suppose.....

Good stuff. Squad was in desperate need for a clear-out.

It's just a shame Pressley wasn't packing his bags as well because let's not forget, it is he who will be tasked with the challenge of rebuilding the squad. *shudder*

Yep we have been needed a wipe out for a good couple of seasons, this season proved that some of our so called stars have had their pipe and slippers on for too long......

I do shudder to think what Elvis will bring in, I know money is tight but if we are to get more season tickets in, we will need to sign up a big player who will put bums on seats......and/or even just a couple of decent pedigree of clubs players on loan for the season....easy stating these but finding them a lot harder.....

Despite releasing 18 players, Falkirk still have a squad of 12.

I'm going to have to assume a lot of those 18 released were U-19s, because a squad of 30 just seems absolutely insane. Even if that 18 are replaced with 7 or 8 new players then next season's squad will be of a very good size, despite the loss of ten or eleven players.

10 of those 18 I am sure never started a league game for us, 11 of the 18 were academy players and you could say four of the 18 were automatic starts if fit.....in McManus & Finnigan that being the case....

We will have 7 out of the 16 that were listed in the last Falkirk v Raith game and one of those has fell out with the manager.....

Of course we are not alone, the free lists swirling around in the 1st division is alarming if you are a two bob bit player an this is your level.......still onwards and perhaps sideyways.......

If they ain't good enough then they ain't good enough, simple.

Indeed. Just because they are goalkeepers doesn't mean they should be treated any differently to outfield players. What Falkirk need IMO is an experienced proven keeper at first division level or above who can still deliever consistent performances.

I imagine they will try and sign someone like that and have the under 19s goalie as back up.

Indeed. Just because they are goalkeepers doesn't mean they should be treated any differently to outfield players. What Falkirk need IMO is an experienced proven keeper at first division level or above who can still deliever consistent performances.

I imagine they will try and sign someone like that and have the under 19s goalie as back up.

I agree that we need an experienced first choice, but for the wages they would be on I'd have thought one of Barclay/Andrews would have been kept on as second choice with a view to being in the first team at some point in the near future. Both were fairly highly rated by fans of clubs who had them on loan, had been involved with Scotland squads and came through the academy (rightly or wrongly that seems to gain you a favourable position at the club).

I'm not bothered at all about most of the players going. The only 2 I'd have liked us to have kept would have been McManus and Andrews. As has been said Andrews wages couldn't have been that high, he seemed to be quite highly rated and he could have been back up. A clearout was needed but I'm not confident in Pressley's ability to find a player thats going to be improve on what we had. At least these signings should be on smaller wages and one year deals.

I agree that we need an experienced first choice, but for the wages they would be on I'd have thought one of Barclay/Andrews would have been kept on as second choice with a view to being in the first team at some point in the near future. Both were fairly highly rated by fans of clubs who had them on loan, had been involved with Scotland squads and came through the academy (rightly or wrongly that seems to gain you a favourable position at the club).

How much were they on Sherlock?