The Falkirk FC Thread

how would he fans react to the club actualy saying " look guys we cant realy afford to compete at the top end of this league but hey footballs a funny old game so come and pay to watch us just incase"

we're out of debt now i believe, we should have a squad that is at least capable of making the playoffs and giving it their best shot, you cant aim to build for next season becuase you have no idea how this season will pan out

I'm sure most of the fans realise that competing with sevco and Hibs over a 36 game season is stretching things a bit. However, theres no reason why we shouldn't be fighting St Mirren for 3rd as well as comfortably finishing 4th. If we don't have the budget to do that then serious questions have to be asked as to where all the money is going and how its being spent. The squad we had last season couldn't make the playoffs and this years so far is no better in my opinion.

We all have different expectations of our clubs at the end of the day. Some of us just want a bit more back when we keep investing year on year. We've probably taken in more cash than most teams in this league over the past few seasons apart from perhaps Hamilton and yet its all been pished down the drain on debt or bad signings.

You've finished no lower than 5th (I think) in the last 5 years and been involved more often than not in promotion play-offs. Maybe your expectations are a bit OTT?

If you want a guaranteed return (of sorts) on the money you invest then I'd suggest you stop paying money to a football club. Funny that you deem your club paying off debts as your money being "pished down the drain". If they hadn't spent that money on servicing that debt Falkirk could be even further down the leagues or out of them altogether. I suppose at least then your "long suffering fans" argument might actually hold some water.

Clubs have good times and bad and your times at the moment aren't even that bad, given that you'll (once again) be challenging for the promotion play-offs into the top tier.

Edited by The Moonster

I think for us it's just been too long that we've had a real go. Last season was our worst in a while but we had the cup run so it kind of balances out in my mind.

I agree that if we're not at least challenging St Mirren for 3rd then questions need to be asked, anything can happen in the playoffs so it's a realistic goal for us. Then next season we have to be going for promotion directly.

More often than not in promotion playoffs. I wish. Our first season down we ended up 12 points behind Dunfermline in 3rd place even though we had the biggest budget in the league. The next season we again came 3rd 17 points behind Ross County. The following season we were even further away from promotuion being 25 points behind Partick Thistle in 3rd again. A partick team that was hardly breaking the bank. In 2013/14 we were at least in the running only 3 pts off Dundee and beaten by Hamiton in the playoffs whilst last season our league form was pretty poor and we ended up 5th 38 points behind hearts and 7 points off 4th place. So one year since we came down we have been involved in the promotion hunt which I would say is pretty poor for a club with our attendances and facilities.

If the club had been run properly we wouldn't have created the said debts in the first place having been comfortable in the top flight for 3 seasons when we had at least broken even if not made a profit. Bad decisions by the bod meant we ended up in debt and had to pay money into paying off these debts instead of further financing the budget to build a promotion winning side and keeping hold of some of our best youngsters for a little while longer. I don't expect us to win promotion this season but I'd like to see a wee bit of entertainment and a team I can be proud of fighting it out for at least 3rd place. That shouldn't be too much to ask really considering .

You've finished no lower than 5th (I think) in the last 5 years and been involved more often than not in promotion play-offs. Maybe your expectations are a bit OTT?

If you want a guaranteed return (of sorts) on the money you invest then I'd suggest you stop paying money to a football club. Funny that you deem your club paying off debts as your money being "pished down the drain". If they hadn't spent that money on servicing that debt Falkirk could be even further down the leagues or out of them altogether. I suppose at least then your "long suffering fans" argument might actually hold some water.

Clubs have good times and bad and your times at the moment aren't even that bad, given that you'll (once again) be challenging for the promotion play-offs into the top tier.

I personally class myself as long suffering due to the insufferable nature of most of our fans (e.g. this thread)

More often than not in promotion playoffs. I wish. Our first season down we ended up 12 points behind Dunfermline in 3rd place even though we had the biggest budget in the league. The next season we again came 3rd 17 points behind Ross County. The following season we were even further away from promotuion being 25 points behind Partick Thistle in 3rd again. A partick team that was hardly breaking the bank. In 2013/14 we were at least in the running only 3 pts off Dundee and beaten by Hamiton in the playoffs whilst last season our league form was pretty poor and we ended up 5th 38 points behind hearts and 7 points off 4th place. So one year since we came down we have been involved in the promotion hunt which I would say is pretty poor for a club with our attendances and facilities.

If the club had been run properly we wouldn't have created the said debts in the first place having been comfortable in the top flight for 3 seasons when we had at least broken even if not made a profit. Bad decisions by the bod meant we ended up in debt and had to pay money into paying off these debts instead of further financing the budget to build a promotion winning side and keeping hold of some of our best youngsters for a little while longer. I don't expect us to win promotion this season but I'd like to see a wee bit of entertainment and a team I can be proud of fighting it out for at least 3rd place. That shouldn't be too much to ask really considering .

Play-offs have only existed for two seasons. In one of them, you reached the semi-final. In the other, you missed out by a place. In the previous seasons, you finished in spots that would now see you into the play-offs.

I'm not going to tell you what should constitute success for your team, but I don't see much evidence that you're especially long suffering.

Good username though.

I know what you mean mate and to be honest some of our younger fans probably see it differently from me. They weren't there when we were going through provisional liquidation in the late 90's and the stadium issues that prevented us getting promotion for a number of years after that. Even when your going well someone always seems to make an arse of it. I'm not really asking for us to overachieve I'm just asking that we make the most of what we have. Queens are doing that just now and more on what would be seen as a tight budget but with a good young manager and sensible board.

So since you've come down you've comfortably finished in the top half of the table, finishing a low of 5th only once and you've been involved in promotion play-offs in that time. I'm sure the collective hearts of the likes of Montrose, Elgin and Albion Rovers are bleeding for you. I understand your expectations are bit higher than them but to say you've been suffering is a massive overstatement.

You're also now saying you don't expect promotion, which goes against everything you're arguing in the first paragraph.

It is no wonder we are pissed off. We have been in a league the last couple of years polluted by real seaside league teams like Alloa, Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton. It would not be so bad if they were replaced by decent sized clubs like Ayr and Dunfermline.

in my lifetime the first division has felt more like home tbh. still football is a competetive sport, you must aim as high as you can, accepting that this is our level and we can do no better is too defeatist for me.

Absolutely.

As discussed at length on here before, in terms of stature, Falkirk have every right to expect to be among the country's top dozen sides on a regular basis.

The only thing I took issue with was the notion of their fans being "long suffering". Try telling that to fans of the club you used to share a town with.

It is no wonder we are pissed off. We have been in a league the last couple of years polluted by real seaside league teams like Alloa, Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton. It would not be so bad if they were replaced by decent sized clubs like Ayr and Dunfermline.

Last season, the one that saw your lowest finish in a long time, the League was also polluted by three of Scotland's five biggest clubs.

Absolutely. As discussed at length on here before, in terms of stature, Falkirk have every right to expect to be among the country's top dozen sides on a regular basis. The only thing I took issue with was the notion of their fans being "long suffering". Try telling that to fans of the club you used to share a town with.

its all relative tho, it probably didnt help that even when we were the 7th best team in scotland we still didnt get much more than 5-6 k for a home support,