The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

We definitely could benefit massively from a quality defensive midfielder.

You don't rate McGinn then? I don't buy into the 'he doesn't have the legs anymore' rhetoric, he didn't have them when arrived, McGlynn said as much at the time. I think he's a really good player. Look at his performance in the semi final. Best man on the park for me. 

I’ve been in Stuart Kennedy’s company a few times at nights out as I’ve got connections through my in-laws to him with him being a Grangemouth boy and I always found him to be quite sound.

I can only just remember him at Falkirk,  but I always felt he was destined for much higher things and was off as soon as he got his chance which was fair enough. You have to wonder though how many Scotland caps he would have got if Danny McGrain hadn’t been about.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You don't rate McGinn then? I don't buy into the 'he doesn't have the legs anymore' rhetoric, he didn't have them when arrived, McGlynn said as much at the time. I think he's a really good player. Look at his performance in the semi final. Best man on the park for me. 

McGinn won't last forever, and expecting him to play another full season might be a stretch. We could certainly do with another option. 

11 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Wonder if there might be a bit of a fire sale at Partick. Seem to be a bit strapped for cash. 

Just seen it on twitter there 280k loss for the season just ended

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

"Doesn't suffer fools gladly" has always been a massive red flag description for me. Right up there with "tells it like it is" or "doesn't Mince their words" as some sort way to excuse someone for basically being a w****r. 

Thankfully I'm too young to remember Kennedy, and so there's no fallen idol problem for me here. 

Well it means in this case if your acting like an arsehole he'd quickly make sure you were out the door and werent allowed back in as long as his name was above the bar simple as that.

Guest Ecosse83
47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Again, there would be absolutely no discussion on Arfield were it not for the fact that the man himself said he wants to come back here. 

At whatever point he deems that what he wants, as long as he isn't totally broken and we're not in the Prem, it will entail a big money drop for him. It wpuld be a choice he made outside of the desire for the biggest pay cheque. 

We all know he can still play at a much higher level, as does he. What we don't know is if (and if so then when) he intends to lend Falkirk his skills, which exist outside our budget 

Aye he will be back at some point just not for next season. 

As much as he would obviously be a great signing I wouldn’t want to club to really push the boat out for 1 player anyway! 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Whatever happened to the fat lottery winner boys cash? 

Didn't they have a few legal issues or something with that or did it not go to grassroots foundation or something and not so much the club, copied this but doesn't look good they didn't budget right: Taken from PTFC below:

Following their appointment mid-season, the Club Board quickly established that we did not have sufficient funds to complete the season with a substantial cash-flow deficit. We secured our immediate future via loans to the club from Directors, with longer-term investment now being sought.

Despite these measures, the implementation of cost cuts and the benefit of revenues associated with both our cup runs and our progress to the cinch Premiership play-off final, we will still return a significant loss of around £280k for the season just ended. This loss was to a large extent caused by an anticipated investment into the club not materialising, at the same time as the previous board committed to an increased playing budget for the men’s team with the objective of achieving promotion. There were also some errors with the original budget which meant costs would always be higher than planned in some areas

It's a shame Brian Graham has spent this season proving he's far too good for this level... There was talk of him talking to us last Summer was there not? 

No chance after the season he's just had regardless of Thistles budget problems

2 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

Stuart Kennedy was ill suited to running a pub but was bearable as he liked a bit of football chat.  Ive seen him tetchy in The Woodside (his default setting) but never rude or aggressive.  Like many ex pros he was at his best when talking about his expolits in the game ("Robbie Rensenbrink?  Back pocket" etc etc).    

I recall him joining us for a game at Coasters when we were short of bodies at 6 a sides.   Must have been the late 1980s / early 90s so Stuart would have been nudging 40 and long retired through injury.  We were all in our 20s and fancied ourselves.

He was amazing.  You couldn't get past him but he never seemed to put a tackle in, just kind of sent you down the side then took the ball off you.  I can vaguely remember him for Falkirk pre 1976 but playing with / against him even after a bad injury and almost 40 was an eye opener in the massive gulf between good amateurs and top pros - effectively a different sport.         

Totally agree. I got the same treatment from a 40 year old Bobby Lennox. If that was him at 40, God only knows what he was like at 26. As you say, different sport, and different planet.

CORRECTION. He was 44 when he sent me out for chips about a dozen times in one game. Now I feel even worse. 😐

Edited by Duncan Freemason

39 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’ve been in Stuart Kennedy’s company a few times at nights out as I’ve got connections through my in-laws to him with him being a Grangemouth boy and I always found him to be quite sound.

I can only just remember him at Falkirk,  but I always felt he was destined for much higher things and was off as soon as he got his chance which was fair enough. You have to wonder though how many Scotland caps he would have got if Danny McGrain hadn’t been about.

Regarding Scotland caps the same could be said for Kevin McAllister if Davie Cooper had not been around

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Regarding Scotland caps the same could be said for Kevin McAllister if Davie Cooper had not been around

He suffered more at the hands of Pat Nevin, and even Eamon Bannon.

On 03/06/2023 at 13:25, Bainsfordbairn said:

Cheers. I was thinking of players. 

It was announced as one year to begin with and neither side have commented as to whether it was extended or expired. (at least not that I've seen). 

BAIRNS ANNOUNCE CRUNCHY CARROTS AS NEW FRONT OF SHIRT PARTNER! - Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

They extended.

On 03/06/2023 at 14:26, Brockvillenomore said:

I’m 99% sure Jamie Swinney said at the recognition night that they had renewed. 

He did.

2 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

Stuart Kennedy was ill suited to running a pub but was bearable as he liked a bit of football chat.  Ive seen him tetchy in The Woodside (his default setting) but never rude or aggressive.  Like many ex pros he was at his best when talking about his expolits in the game ("Robbie Rensenbrink?  Back pocket" etc etc).    

I recall him joining us for a game at Coasters when we were short of bodies at 6 a sides.   Must have been the late 1980s / early 90s so Stuart would have been nudging 40 and long retired through injury.  We were all in our 20s and fancied ourselves.

He was amazing.  You couldn't get past him but he never seemed to put a tackle in, just kind of sent you down the side then took the ball off you.  I can vaguely remember him for Falkirk pre 1976 but playing with / against him even after a bad injury and almost 40 was an eye opener in the massive gulf between good amateurs and top pros - effectively a different sport.         

You have to play with and against these old pro's to understand it's not just their skill and game craft but the level above you their minds work

Played 5's with Peter Godfrey, Stuart Munro, Stuart Burgess and John Blackley in my playing days it was exactly as you said.

15 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I always felt it was Pat Nevin that was picked over Crunchie. They are similar ages and Cooper was a few years older.

I think Nevin kept Crunchie out of the Chelsea team as well?

50 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Didn't they have a few legal issues or something with that or did it not go to grassroots foundation or something and not so much the club, copied this but doesn't look good they didn't budget right: Taken from PTFC below:

Following their appointment mid-season, the Club Board quickly established that we did not have sufficient funds to complete the season with a substantial cash-flow deficit. We secured our immediate future via loans to the club from Directors, with longer-term investment now being sought.

Despite these measures, the implementation of cost cuts and the benefit of revenues associated with both our cup runs and our progress to the cinch Premiership play-off final, we will still return a significant loss of around £280k for the season just ended. This loss was to a large extent caused by an anticipated investment into the club not materialising, at the same time as the previous board committed to an increased playing budget for the men’s team with the objective of achieving promotion. There were also some errors with the original budget which meant costs would always be higher than planned in some areas

Reading between the lines, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a cull of players being released. Not sure where it went wrong, but I’m sure there was a significant investment from the lottery guy. 

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Reading between the lines, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a cull of players being released. Not sure where it went wrong, but I’m sure there was a significant investment from the lottery guy. 

Was his legacy not left to their youth set up