The Partick Thistle thread

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

Mandela affect then.  Thanks.

I remember us being so shocked that we took the lead against Clyde as obviously they had gone up as champions the previous year and were deemed better than us at the time. Oh how times have changed 😂

19 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

I remember us being so shocked that we took the lead against Clyde as obviously they had gone up as champions the previous year and were deemed better than us at the time. Oh how times have changed 😂

Iirc they'd beaten us in the Challenge Cup a couple of weeks before. Actually they pretty much had our number at Broadwood that season.

Fully expect the shite keeper tombola continue against Ayr on Tuesday night.

Stewart looked very suspect, and as much as I’m done with both Sneddon and Mitchell, they’re better options.

Sigh.

image.png.2b54c90704526785890f5328452386b2.png

😬

Also Ayr up next.

Tbf this side would just get jobbed out in the playoffs anyway but it'd still be nice to slink into 4th on the off chance we go on a run out of nowhere like last season (minus the last minute bedshitting), but there's so, so many cracks within the squad.

Was always going to be a nightmare to put together a properly good side given the previous board gobbled up all the cash reserves - January signings very much reeked of it and pretty much spelled out that we were content to let Raith Rovers and Dundee Utd contend with each other rather than spend a bit to properly compete with them, which is fair enough as our head to head with them this season has been garbage anyway - hopefully once some of the dead wood is gone we can pull a few more Turner/Holt/Tiffoney style signings from somewhere.

I'm increasingly undecided on Kerr McInroy too; definitely a good Championship player in there from some of the games he's had, but idk exactly where his best position is. Think he looks really sluggish to a lot of second balls.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Stewart almost seemed too confident, he was coming for crosses he had no chance of getting, kicking passbacks first time on a bumpy surface. Like the opposite of Sneddon. I'd be surprised if he's dropped after one game. 

The wider defensive issues I don't know how we fix, if Lawless is injured after last night we could maybe try a back 3 as Mcmillan and Milne have got the ability to play as wing backs. 

Same with set pieces, third goal last night Bannigan is on the post but he's so tight to the post he's practically hugging it. Unlike against Livi, Dunfermline didn't have half a dozen guys who were massive so it's not as if we ended up with a mismatch. 

We've taken 14 points from first quarter and 15 from second. We're on 9 with 3 to play, we took 4 points from the equivalent games first time round but Ayr will be a tougher test this time although at least Dowds can't haunt us. 

The thing that I can’t seem to get my head round is how we’ve went from conceding so few goals under Doolan last season, to chucking them in every game, when we had dross like Darren Brownlie and have replaced him with Lewis Neilson.
The lack of a proper Docherty replacement (until McBeth gets fully up to speed) has fucked us massively. 

Edited by GrahamJags

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

The thing that I can’t seem to get my head round is how we’ve went from conceding so few goals under Doolan last season, to chucking them in every game, when we had dross like Darren Brownlie and have replaced him with Lewis Neilson.
The lack of a proper Docherty replacement (until McBeth gets fully up to speed) has fucked us massively. 

I only saw the game on tv last night but Neilson looked really sluggish from the start. Maybe McBeth isn’t giving us the defensive cover we wanted as we’ve lost 6 goals in the 2 full games he’s played. Not trying to pin it on him but we are definitely going backwards defensively.

Neilson had a few good games a couple of months back and seems to have bought into his own hype a bit since then. Constantly trying to dribble out from the back or play passes that aren't on. Add into that the odd defensive howler which you should probably always expect from a player his age, and he's a bit of a liability at present. Muirhead (whether through injury or just plain decline due to age) isn't able to cover for his mistakes either, so between the two of them we're just a bit of a mess at CB right now.

McBeth clearly has something about him. He's got that presence that we've really missed in the DM spot, and he keeps the ball pretty well. His main drawback is that he appears to be miles off the pace required for this level - which I suppose makes some sense given he was at Glenafton only a couple of months back. The difference in the pace and intensity of a game in the 2nd tier compared to the 6th is massive. When he gets up to speed with full time football he looks like he could be a very decent player at this level.

Edited by Nightmare

13 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

On loan from Hearts.

Aye I had a feeling. In that case it's not proving particularly beneficial to us. He'll learn from his abundant mistakes and he's got real quality on the ball, but he's costing us goals while we develop someone else's player.

3 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Holt is the biggest miss,you could always be assured he would put his body/head on the line to intercept cross balls in the box.He also more or less tracked right to cover Muirhead's now too obvious failings .

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Aye I had a feeling. In that case it's not proving particularly beneficial to us. He'll learn from his abundant mistakes and he's got real quality on the ball, but he's costing us goals while we develop someone else's player.

I think the reality of it though is that, while he’s costing us goals, our only other option at present is Wasiri Williams - and I like him, he seems like a terrific guy and he’s been decent enough at right back, but he’s been a bombscare on a scale Neilson couldn’t even conceive of at times this season.

That said, if O’Reilly is injured for a while I wouldn’t be against throwing big Wasiri in for a while over Muirhead. We’re conceding three goals a game anyway, so f**k it. 

Aye big Williams is pretty rubbish, but at least he's our player.  It does look like our recruitment could be a bit better tbh. Signing Williams who'd never really kicked a ball at senior level, Neilson who is untested and more recently Ross Stewart who isn't any sort of upgrade are big red flags that we haven't a clue what we're doing.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Signing Williams who'd never really kicked a ball at senior level, Neilson who is untested and more recently Ross Stewart who isn't any sort of upgrade are big red flags that we haven't a clue what we're doing.

Or that we don't have the money to spend that we spent last season.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye big Williams is pretty rubbish, but at least he's our player.  It does look like our recruitment could be a bit better tbh. Signing Williams who'd never really kicked a ball at senior level, Neilson who is untested and more recently Ross Stewart who isn't any sort of upgrade are big red flags that we haven't a clue what we're doing.

First time seeing Ross Stewart and he genuinely looked like a competition winner IMO.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Ross Stewart wasn’t signed to be an upgrade on anyone tbf, he was signed at a time when it was thought David Mitchell might have a serious injury, and the club wanted Mason McCready to go and get minutes on loan, so we needed a backup GK. Stewart has always been pretty crap, understood the clamour for Sneddon to be dropped, couldn’t understand anyone thinking Stewart would be any better however. Wonder where Mitchell is at fitness wise. 

Edited by JagsCG

O'Reilly clearly deserves a shot. Neilson being asked to compensate for Muirhead'S deficiencies is harsh. Shocking for the third goal last night but otherwise our best centre half by a distance. Keeper issue feels unfixable at the moment, can't see how you can justify Stewart over Mitchell on Tuesday (and I don't rate Mitchell at all). 

18 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

O'Reilly clearly deserves a shot.

He does, but it’s obviously dependent on his injury.

I’d be happy enough with Mitchell coming back in, but there’s still the question mark over his agent situation and I think if that was going to happen then it’d have happened on Friday. The fact that Ross Stewart is 28 and has played 20 games above the third tier says it all for me really, but we’ll need to see how it goes I guess.