c***s on the road

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

The driving license and passport offices seem tightly linked. Having one gets you an easy renewal of the other. If you’re starting from the ground floor with nowt I’d expect they’d make you jump through all sorts of hoops. Can’t be having these off-grid individuals suddenly getting on the system. 

Passports seem like as much of a faff. A woman in my work had to renew hers a few months ago and filled in the form about three times and came in each week with tales of increasingly irate encounters at whatever office she was going to. 

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Passports seem like as much of a faff. A woman in my work had to renew hers a few months ago and filled in the form about three times and came in each week with tales of increasingly irate encounters at whatever office she was going to. 

I’ll actually defend the passport office on this one. Applied online for the kiddo, with written verification of identity as required for first passport /overseas issue. Took a couple of weeks for the system to grind into action, but then got an email to submit a new picture along with genuinely helpful data on the issue with the first one. Electronically submitted a new one. Next week was emailed advising of the need for more documents. Mailed them, they were received, and the passport was issued the next day. Mailed back to us within a week. Total time less than six weeks, was advised to expect 12-16 weeks.

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Don’t have experience of it so can’t help but the government’s approach to everything post brexit is to desperately try and avoid anyone not British from doing anything and have completely ignored how much of a pain in the arse they are creating for the vast majority who shouldn’t need to prove their identity every 5 minutes.   The amount of times a job is delayed because someone who has maybe left Britain for 2 weeks in their entire life but need to hunt down documents to prove their right to work is an absolute joke.

That rant didn't answer his question. 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’ll actually defend the passport office on this one. Applied online for the kiddo, with written verification of identity as required for first passport /overseas issue. Took a couple of weeks for the system to grind into action, but then got an email to submit a new picture along with genuinely helpful data on the issue with the first one. Electronically submitted a new one. Next week was emailed advising of the need for more documents. Mailed them, they were received, and the passport was issued the next day. Mailed back to us within a week. Total time less than six weeks, was advised to expect 12-16 weeks.

Not for my son but for myself - did everything online, sent old passport and new one was delivered to my door 4 weeks later.  It seems overseas applications are handled much more quickly, maybe because they are more expensive.

38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not for my son but for myself - did everything online, sent old passport and new one was delivered to my door 4 weeks later.  It seems overseas applications are handled much more quickly, maybe because they are more expensive.

The reason I ventured an opinion earlier was because I renewed my passport earlier this year, it taking less than a fortnight start to finish. I suspect that though may have been because I had moved house the previous year so had updated my driving licence with the process again taking about the same time. 

I think the passport office/DVLA are victims of tabloid sensationalism where one Mrs Miggins not getting out on her flight gets splashed across a week long feature meaning every application must be stuck behind hers in the queue.

tl;dr: Fill the forms correctly, you’ll be fine. 

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

The reason I ventured an opinion earlier was because I renewed my passport earlier this year, it taking less than a fortnight start to finish. I suspect that though may have been because I had moved house the previous year so had updated my driving licence with the process again taking about the same time. 

I think the passport office/DVLA are victims of tabloid sensationalism where one Mrs Miggins not getting out on her flight gets splashed across a week long feature meaning every application must be stuck behind hers in the queue.

tl;dr: Fill the forms correctly, you’ll be fine. 

We are fast approaching peak holiday #sadface season. 

Shouldn't be long until we see the usual articles. Holiday ruined after kiddie's first passport didn't arrive because bozo dad applied seventeen days before the flight. 

Edited by Michael W

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm not sure whether it's best to put this here or in the Car Advice thread, but I think this one is technically closer. 

I'd like to learn to drive. Based on what I can see on the government's website if I don't have a passport, I can't apply online: Apply for your first provisional driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have to get a form from the post office and send it away along with my birth certificate and national insurance card/payslip/student card. This seems like a bit much. Does anyone have any recent experience of this?

Borrow a car and have a go before you commit to anything.

Having had dealings with the DVLA over the years (not in regard to my licence) I always had visions of them being staffed by Denzil and Gwyneth from Absolutely.

And possibly also Little Britain's Daffyd with Taffy Goldstein from The Navy Lark in overall charge 

But that's enough Welsh stereotypes for one post 

49 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Thousands of hours in Gran Turismo has convinced me it's the right time.

I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival, and there was a pilot in it who said he learned to fly on Microsoft Flight Simulator, so you should be OK on Gran Turismo.

5 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I watched the Netflix documentary about the Fyre Festival, and there was a pilot in it who said he learned to fly on Microsoft Flight Simulator, so you should be OK on Gran Turismo.

The 9/11 boys did ok but they skipped the landing bit. 

I was driving up the M6 yesterday in the outside overtaking lane doing about 80mph. I see some guy in the middle lane in a black fiesta putting on his signal to get into my lane. He must be doing about 60mph at this point. As I overtake him he gives me the vicky and when he pulls out behind me he is furiously flashing his lights. I soon lose site of him in the distance as he struggles to overtake the other vehicles in the middle lane. 

Made me think, did this guy think that the guy travelling faster than him in the outside lane should brake to let him out just because he signalled? Surely he has to control his own speed by dropping down gears and anticipating that I'll be past him in seconds before he pulls out?

Anyway, c**t!

On 14/07/2023 at 17:04, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm not sure whether it's best to put this here or in the Car Advice thread, but I think this one is technically closer. 

I'd like to learn to drive. Based on what I can see on the government's website if I don't have a passport, I can't apply online: Apply for your first provisional driving licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have to get a form from the post office and send it away along with my birth certificate and national insurance card/payslip/student card. This seems like a bit much. Does anyone have any recent experience of this?

Sounds about right, unfortunately. I had to renew a passport recently but could only find one that expired in 1995 (at first). Because i was born outside the UK they wanted originals of My Dad's birth certificate and marriage certificates. It doesn't take much for them to lose their grip on reality and request way too much stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I was driving up the M6 yesterday in the outside overtaking lane doing about 80mph. I see some guy in the middle lane in a black fiesta putting on his signal to get into my lane. He must be doing about 60mph at this point. As I overtake him he gives me the vicky and when he pulls out behind me he is furiously flashing his lights. I soon lose site of him in the distance as he struggles to overtake the other vehicles in the middle lane. 

Made me think, did this guy think that the guy travelling faster than him in the outside lane should brake to let him out just because he signalled? Surely he has to control his own speed by dropping down gears and anticipating that I'll be past him in seconds before he pulls out?

Anyway, c**t!

Is the guy travelling  within the speed limit right? Or is it the guy speeding? 

It's a puzzler right enough. 

21 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Anyway, c**t!

Some folk think indicators are rightofwaycators.