The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Dougie wading into the debate, of course saying it's the right course of action but he says this is because the change "seriously damages the rights of women” he says this without demonstrating how it does that which shows just how stupid the opposition to this is if they can't even come up with justification for their opposition.

If he had said seriously damages the rights of women because X/Y/Z... Instead he's just stuck a meaningless but emotive phrase in to appeal the right wing bigots.

I suspect that Tories looking for examples of "harm" arising from the proposed Scottish legislation will struggle to find real examples in the same way that Rees-Mogg struggled to find examples of Brexit "benefits".  As I recall, when asked for a good example of a Brexit benefit, the best he could come up with was something about distance markers in the Dartford Tunnel. 

A bill backed by a majority of elected representatives from SNP, Labour, Greens, Lib Dem is blocked by a right wing Westminster government that we didn't vote for (nor have we voted for many decades). If ever there was evidence of the Democratic deficit we face then this is it.

f**k the lot of them, a needless intervention to score points with bigots and nutters. The fucking state of the UK. Get it all to f**k.

Edited by AuAl

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

FancyShadowyDove-max-1mb.gif

As an Irishman he should (will) know fine well that there are 2 transgender women in the women's Irish prison system, who are kept separate from the rest of the population for their own safety. One is in there for assaulting men. 

14 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I suspect that Tories looking for examples of "harm" arising from the proposed Scottish legislation will struggle to find real examples in the same way that Rees-Mogg struggled to find examples of Brexit "benefits".  As I recall, when asked for a good example of a Brexit benefit, the best he could come up with was something about distance markers in the Dartford Tunnel. 

Happier fish was about the only other benefit.

13 minutes ago, AuAl said:

A bill backed by a majority of elected representatives from SNP, Labour, Greens, Lib Dem is blocked by a right wing Westminster government that we didn't vote for (nor have we voted for many decades). If ever there was evidence of the Democratic deficit we face then this is it.

f**k the lot of them, a needless intervention to score points with bigots and nutters. The fucking state of the UK. Get it all to f**k.

Tbf only a couple of thousand people voted for this government. Being tied to a parliament which can change governments time and time again without an election is a farce especially when it's a party like you say who Scotland haven't voted for for something like 70 years.

11 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

The argument that it will allow some sexual preditor to obtain a piece of paper that allows them to wear womens clothes and assault someone in toilets is laughable. If you are that way inclined, you'd do it anyway. Conversely, Does it help prevent harm to people who the legislation helps? Damn right.

If you wanted to obtain a piece of paper to allow you carry out predatory behaviour then you'd just join the Met Police.

I see that the Secretary in a State for Scotland is due to address the HoC at 12.30.

I look forward to hearing his detailed reasons for vetoing the Scottish Bill, as so far on the radio today I've heard issues about the actual existence of gender recognition certificates and issues they might (or do) cause, but nothing about why the Scottish Bill will cause more "issues" of such seriousness that the Scottish Parliament's clearly expressed wishes for action in the field must be overridden. 

Any problems he highlights MUST relate only to the effect of the legislation, not the existence of GRCs themselves. 

This is easy pickings for the Tory's as it plays straight into the hand of their bigoted, often Christian older voters. Easy points for them.

Any oppressed section of society should have their life made easier. This bill will impact a tiny tiny minority of people. Many of whom those protesting loudest will never encounter.

But easy win for the Tories here.

Just don't ask them about the rising child poverty levels in the UK, or the Russian money funding the Tories or fuel poverty.

Cause quick there's a 16yr old who has a GRC and automatically gets Thier knob chopping off and mainlined hormones.

I've stated before I'm not SNP voter not did I vote yes. But this has zero to do with anything other than some easy wins for Tory's.

And it's an already hugely marginalised section of society that suffer.

5 minutes ago, Madame RH33 said:

This is easy pickings for the Tory's as it plays straight into the hand of their bigoted, often Christian older voters. Easy points for them.

Any oppressed section of society should have their life made easier. This bill will impact a tiny tiny minority of people. Many of whom those protesting loudest will never encounter.

But easy win for the Tories here.

Just don't ask them about the rising child poverty levels in the UK, or the Russian money funding the Tories or fuel poverty.

Cause quick there's a 16yr old who has a GRC and automatically gets Thier knob chopping off and mainlined hormones.

I've stated before I'm not SNP voter not did I vote yes. But this has zero to do with anything other than some easy wins for Tory's.

And it's an already hugely marginalised section of society that suffer.

An easy win for the tories, with Labour's help.

14 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Looks like the Secretary in a State for Scotland has been bumped back an hour to allow a statement by the Home Secretary about police conduct. Jack is now set for 1.30 according to the ticker on the BBC Parliament channel. 

Fucking ridiculous. Clearly a ploy so that all the attention is on Dundee's pitch inspection and not this. Disgraceful.

The media in this country are a disgrace, had some time this morning & watched a couple of shitty daytime shows, all sides just parroting the government / Labour line. No balance at all (tbf Politics live yesterday invited SNP on but nobody was available).

I know I’m deluded if I think there would be fair representation, but I’d fucking love it if they got a Labour / Con MSP who voted in favour of GRB in along with one of their English paymasters & speared both of them with proper questions on the bill, make them squirm! also apparently the vast majority of the Scottish electorate are against this legislation, no mention of who conducted the polls, how the questions were framed etc!
I’m livid about this & mark my words, this is the thin of the wedge until it becomes the norm. 
It’s enraging that Tory / Labour politicians get away with always punching down. 

15 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Looks like the Secretary in a State for Scotland has been bumped back an hour to allow a statement by the Home Secretary about police conduct. Jack is now set for 1.30 according to the ticker on the BBC Parliament channel. 

Greenied for an apt & new (to me) title for the ever bootlicking Alister Jack. 

6 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Greenied for an apt & new (to me) title for the ever bootlicking Alister Jack. 

Cheers. I've used that description a few times.

I'm looking forward to hearing him state what the actual opinion of the Scottish Parliament is on this. 

Yes, I'm sure he knows that the Bill was passed with all party support, and had a majority of more than would have been achievable by "just" the SNP and and Green MSPs. But as he seemingly thinks he knows better than the SNP MPs what their constituents want, interpreting the views of the majority of MSPs surely isn't beyond him. 

Loving all the "need to have an open debate", "give people a chance to share their views" takes, almost exclusively from people who either can't or won't actually explain what their problem with the legislation is in the first place.

A bill that took over 5 years from first being introduced to parliament to being passed, with two separate public consultations, both of which received more positive responses than negative. A bill which was a manifesto commitment for 129 of the 129 MSPs elected in the 2016 Parliament and 98 of the 129 MSPs elected in 2021. How many opportunities to talk about it are needed? How many times do the blatant lies being told about it need to be debunked?