Champions League 2022/23

Coooombe

Not sure how exactly the ref only got 4 additional minutes and then didn't even play them given the time taken to restart after the Napoli goal. 

Not a fan of an in play clock but definitely think at that level clock should stop at goals, VAR checks and subs with further time still able to be added on. 

Truthfully, Real Madrid didn’t really need to get out of second gear to coast past that dire Chelsea side. Top banter playing Connor Gallagher as an attacking midfielder ahead of Felix though, it was like watching a CL quarter final with Ben Mee as attacking wing back.

Napoli bottled it but Serie A looking back to its best, likely Milan semi final and finalist guaranteed - most teams in both quarter final and semi final is an impressive record. 

Interestingly, only twice this century have an English side beat a non English side in the final, Chelsea hanging onto the crossbar vs Bayern in 2012 (winning on penalties) and Liverpools comeback in 2005 (winning on penalties).

They have played non English sides 6 other times, losing all in normal time.

#barclaysbottlers

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Adamant he's saying "just stop."

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

This doesn’t equate to me supporting Chelsea before you start. I did want them to score to bring life into the tie though. 

3 minutes ago, Venti said:

Thought loaned players couldn't play against their parent club.

Or has it changed?

I think that might be specific to the Premier League or at least England (and maybe Scotland). I am sure I have seen players playing against their parent club in Germany.

15 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

It has been the case for 9 years. 

Source?

ETA:

https://www.90min.com/posts/football-loan-transfer-rules-premier-league-guidelines-limits-full-details#:~:text=Loan players are not allowed,the competition for another club.

Spoiler

Loan players are not allowed to play against their parent club in the Premier League, but they can compete against them in domestic cup competitions. However, they are not allowed to feature in any domestic cup clash if they've already competed in the competition for another club.

For example, Chris Wood, who joined Nottingham Forest from Newcastle on loan in January, is not allowed to play in Forest's remaining Carabao Cup fixtures this season because he's already featured in the competition for Newcastle.

Regarding other restrictions, new loan rules were introduced ahead of the 2019/20 season by the Premier League. Here they are:

Clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time from other Premier Legaue clubs.

The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.

Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.

A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

ETA2:

Turns out it needs to be a clause in the loan agreement. No UEFA restrictions.

https://theathletic.com/4319639/2023/03/17/joao-cancelo-man-city-bayern-champions-league/

You live & learn.

Edited by Venti

Great goal for Barella and surely a Milan v Inter semi final will be happening now. Bit of a shame as Napoli and Benfica have been the more "fun" sides this season and I'd have liked them to meet in the semi instead. Napoli were unlucky over their two legs against Milan, they weren't at their best but still played well. Benfica have been more disappointing, though. Really fallen flat in both matches now against Inter so far. Still 70 minutes to go in this second leg but a Benfica comeback looks very unlikely. Ultimately, Milan and Inter have looked much more wiley against the more vibrant but naive Napoli and Benfica.