Queens v Falkirk

11 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

He’ll be more than disappointed. He’s a complete and utter fanny of a man, and he probably thought today would be an easy win. He was proved wrong and I hope he’s miserable. 

Did he shag your maw or something. Bloody hell.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was a pretty enjoyable game, all things considered.

We lost a soft goal, then Falkirk missed an absolute sitter to make it 2.  We improved though and after scoring, were very much in it.  

In the second half, we again started slowly, but got involved later.  It might have gone either way, but a draw was probably about right.

I think that hooking Connelly was a mistake as most of our threats came through him.  Overall, much better though.  

Agree with all of that except for the Connelly sub. All the chances/breaks were coming on the left hand side, it was crying out for Walker and I thought he made a really positive contribution when he came on. It was harsh on Connelly that he had to come off, but somebody had to. 

After hearing terrible reports about McIntyre and Ferguson I was really impressed with them today - Ferguson first half and McIntyre all game. A really good battling performance that will hopefully do wonders for their confidence. I just hope Bartley sets up as positively against other teams as he finished today's game.

21 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Agree with all of that except for the Connelly sub. All the chances/breaks were coming on the left hand side, it was crying out for Walker and I thought he made a really positive contribution when he came on. It was harsh on Connelly that he had to come off, but somebody had to. 

After hearing terrible reports about McIntyre and Ferguson I was really impressed with them today - Ferguson first half and McIntyre all game. A really good battling performance that will hopefully do wonders for their confidence. I just hope Bartley sets up as positively against other teams as he finished today's game.

Walker did pose them problems with his pace and he did well in his brief appearance.  

I thought Connelly was likelier to unlock them though.  His touches and flicks were coming off today, and I'd have liked to have seen more of him.  

50 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

He’ll be more than disappointed. He’s a complete and utter fanny of a man, and he probably thought today would be an easy win. He was proved wrong and I hope he’s miserable. 

I’m sure he’s inconsolable at being clear at the top of the league, unbeaten, and looking down on you journeymen Tory borderers from high above. 

We were marginally the better side but Queens fought hard and had the measure of us, especially in the first half. It was a fair point and as it turns out, a good point.  They’d have felt hard done by if Nizzy’s effort had gone in at the end.  Another week, we might’ve pumped them, especially if MacIver had put his chance away at 1-0, but credit where it’s due.  They saw a weakness in our high press and right back, but good that McGlynn fixed it.  Points like that can win the league.  

Well where did that performance come from especially after going 1 down?

Credit to everyone, as has been previously mentioned Motherwell apart that was our best home performance of the season.

We started with our usual trying to play out from the back and it then looked liked we finally realised we can't do it. After that we got onto the front foot and started asking questions of the opposition. All of a sudden we looked like a reasonable team. Falkirk looked very shaky at the back when put under pressure. Shame Reilly went off injured as he was causing them problems. Hope his injury isn't to bad.

That result will have bought Bartley some time and I really hope he learns from today and starts going at teams instead of standing off them.

Special mention to McIntyre and Ferguson who both had very good games. No failures today.

Also a mention to the Falkirk support who turned out in good numbers, we're colourful, noisy and well behaved.👍

Must say I'm surprised and happy about that performance today, but fizzing that we haven't put in anywhere near the same effort and fight against other teams. No real failures today, Botterill and Ambrose had a couple of shaky moments, McClelland did what McClelland does and gave away a needless foul leading to the Falkirk goal which came courtesy of a free header, but overall a more than decent team showing. Shows what can be done if you're prepared to battle for the ball, something that has been sadly lacking in most games. I thought MacIntyre was Queens'  MoM, he certainly dispelled any ideas I had that he wasn't up to this level, likewise Ferguson who battled away in midfield. Marvin and the players have taken some (deserved) stick so praise where it's due. About the only thing that bugged me, and Falkirk fans probably, was Botterill's time wasting, I can't understand why he would do that when you're team's drawing at home and in with a fair chance of winning the game, and we do need to start picking up wins, it's not like we were backs to the wall defending. Both teams actually deserve credit for putting on a good open game. Well done also to Falkirk fans for helping to create a great atmosphere, and for the £NB, I hope we're up nearer you in the table the next time we meet. 

To be honest delighted to get the point in the end especially given results elsewhere. We were pretty poor by our usual high standards this season, but that was largely down to QOTS playing very well.

I was a wee bit disappointed with our attitude in the first half - we scored early but from then on I thought we looked quite pedestrian and hardly won any 50/50 battles. McGlynn alluded that he shared this view in his interview. The second half was definitely better however, although we never really looked like scoring. Regardless, we’re never going to play well every week and it’s that old cliche that it’s almost definitely a game we would have lost last year.

Still top of the league and now 3 points clear - would have taken that at the start of yesterday. 

19 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Must say I'm surprised and happy about that performance today, but fizzing that we haven't put in anywhere near the same effort and fight against other teams. 

Not exactly a  question of 'can we play you every week?' given that we've taken 1 point out of 6 from them, but there's an element of it.  

Throw in the early performance against Motherwell, and we've a picture of a side that seems to do better against stronger opposition.  

I'm not saying this in praise of our team, or in a 'typical Queens, what are we like?' kind of way.  It annoys me too.  

It seems that in the games where the opposition really force us to engage, we respond well, get stuck in and produce some football.  In other games, we seem much happier to just bump along in a more half hearted way, eventually allowing the opposition to get the better of us. 

When forced to play though, it appears that we sort of can.

That type of focus and urgency needs to be evident in other games.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Looking at the highlights from Falkirk tv it looks like we played pretty well.(Yet) another needless challenge from McLelland to give away a stupid free kick to cost us the goal. Falkirk really should have gone 2-0 up and I very much doubt we’d have come back from that. Ferguson does really well in the lead up to our goal. 
It would have been harsh but somewhat typical of us if Falkirk had scored that chance at the death. 
Overall a decent display and a deserved point. 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Looking at the highlights from Falkirk tv it looks like we played pretty well.(Yet) another needless challenge from McLelland to give away a stupid free kick to cost us the goal. Falkirk really should have gone 2-0 up and I very much doubt we’d have come back from that. Ferguson does really well in the lead up to our goal. 
It would have been harsh but somewhat typical of us if Falkirk had scored that chance at the death. 

The Falkirk Support were a bit worried about this game as Queens were very good at TFS. You played well yesterday as in the last game against us so what happens in other games is a mystery.

On 05/11/2023 at 09:36, Distant Doonhamer said:

They're good highlights.  

They pretty much confirm what I felt at the time - that we had more of the chances.  Most weren't terribly clear cut though.

Interesting to see the handball the ref let go early on again.  It was outside of the box, but it seemed a strange decision to give nothing. 

I'd also like to have seen again the first half incident where the Falkirk goalkeeper picked up the ball on the very edge of the box.  Reilly claimed it hadn't yet reached the box when the 'keeper first handled it.  It looked that way to me too, but I think the linesman indicated to the ref that it was fine.  I'd like to know if the abuse I subsequently gave the linesman was warranted.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They're good highlights.  

They pretty much confirm what I felt at the time - that we had more of the chances.  Most weren't terribly clear cut though.

Interesting to see the handball the ref let go early on again.  It was outside of the box, but it seemed a strange decision to give nothing. 

I'd also like to have seen again the first half incident where the Falkirk goalkeeper picked up the ball on the very edge of the box.  Reilly claimed it hadn't yet reached the box when the 'keeper first handled it.  It looked that way to me too, but I think the linesman indicated to the ref that it was fine.  I'd like to know if the abuse I subsequently gave the linesman was warranted.

Agree with the handball, was surprised a free kick wasn't given for that and thought we got away with that.

As for the handling of the ball - I was right in line with Hogarth and he distinctly waited for the ball to cross the line and even leaned back in a weird way to make sure he picked it up inside but one foot was just outside the box which made it look off. Was actually surprised the linesman saw that because it looked like one of those things you'd have to be right in line with to see the ball go over the line which the linesman was not. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

As for the handling of the ball - I was right in line with Hogarth and he distinctly waited for the ball to cross the line and even leaned back in a weird way to make sure he picked it up inside but one foot was just outside the box which made it look off. Was actually surprised the linesman saw that because it looked like one of those things you'd have to be right in line with to see the ball go over the line which the linesman was not. 

Ach, hopefully the linesman is a useless twat in other respects.

1 hour ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Agree with the handball, was surprised a free kick wasn't given for that and thought we got away with that.

Aye, thought the lino was a bit behind play to get a definite view.