Queens v Falkirk

Fans will accept an off day or occasional poor performance if the going is largely good. I think it was Petrie after the Montrose game who said he fully expected our crowd to turn on the team when Montrose went 1-0 up based on his previous visits, but it didnt happen which had a huge effect on the way we went on to win the game 

As someone said above, both Queens and Falkirk have endured several shitey seasons recently so we've very much seen the toxic atmosphere that can bring in the flesh.

Sometimes it's a good manager and bad players, sometimes it's a bad manager and good players, sometimes it's double-bad. We've had the latter plenty recently which nothing other than a mass clear out will fix unfortunately. Looking back at our squad from the Sheerin/ Rennie/ Holt season two years ago the only players to have survived are Leon McCann, Brad McKay (lol), Aidan Nesbitt and Callumn Morrison

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

If you mean a QOS win, that is by no means unthinkable. A fellow FT side, in the same division, away from home. Hosts are in poor form but if you can't see a draw or a sneaky one goal home win as being quite possible then you're at it.

1 hour ago, bod said:

Ok, I'm at it.

Well ... no ... we're ALL at it ...

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

When Tam Bryce headed the Rangers mid week game last minute equaliser we went mad in the coo shed. the weather was biblical. 

Dicksons chipped winner against Ayr in the 5-4 game is my favourite Queens goal of all time. Alongside Dobbie that season he was the best I’ve seen in a QOS shirt. 

Unusually, and I think cos of the torrential rain, we were tucked safely away in the main stand that mid-week Rangers game, but aye we went nuts too.

That season when Peter Dickson's goals got us out of near certain relegation, he was absolutely on fire.  Didn't have Dobbie's skills but was so fast and he could finish.  Missed the 5-4 replay to my eternal regret, couldn't get down from Glasgow.

32 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Fans will accept an off day or occasional poor performance if the going is largely good. I think it was Petrie after the Montrose game who said he fully expected our crowd to turn on the team when Montrose went 1-0 up based on his previous visits, but it didnt happen which had a huge effect on the way we went on to win the game 

As someone said above, both Queens and Falkirk have endured several shitey seasons recently so we've very much seen the toxic atmosphere that can bring in the flesh.

Sometimes it's a good manager and bad players, sometimes it's a bad manager and good players, sometimes it's double-bad. We've had the latter plenty recently which nothing other than a mass clear out will fix unfortunately. Looking back at our squad from the Sheerin/ Rennie/ Holt season two years ago the only players to have survived are Leon McCann, Brad McKay (lol), Aidan Nesbitt and Callumn Morrison

Queens have only won 1 home game from 9 played so far in all competitions this season. 

Away win 

15 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

You’re just making shit up now, nobody has said this! However people are correct when pointing out the negative atmosphere in the stadium previously was indeed noted and used against us by opposition, this was confirmed by a current player who said it actually made up part of his managers team talk before playing against us at TFS. I’m totally convinced the excellent atmosphere in the stadium this season which has been notable from day one has helped the players massively. Long may it continue! 

I can assure you that the stadium will turn sour if we play as diabolically as we have prior to McGlynn arriving. No doubt fans can lift players but there’s only so much fans can do. Some of the players we’ve had in a Falkirk top in recent years needed new legs and a different head to play even to a reasonable standard. 

48 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

I can assure you that the stadium will turn sour if we play as diabolically as we have prior to McGlynn arriving. No doubt fans can lift players but there’s only so much fans can do. Some of the players we’ve had in a Falkirk top in recent years needed new legs and a different head to play even to a reasonable standard. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone's arguing otherwise?

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Unusually, and I think cos of the torrential rain, we were tucked safely away in the main stand that mid-week Rangers game, but aye we went nuts too.

That season when Peter Dickson's goals got us out of near certain relegation, he was absolutely on fire.  Didn't have Dobbie's skills but was so fast and he could finish.  Missed the 5-4 replay to my eternal regret, couldn't get down from Glasgow.

I remember a mid week game v Forfar. Super Henry scoring in extra time it was pissing down.

2 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I remember a mid week game v Forfar. Super Henry scoring in extra time it was pissing down.

Bad enough Queens fans turning this match thread into (another) All our Yesterday's without Annan fans chipping in too. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone's arguing otherwise?

I think a couple of fans sort of are.

There's a suggestion that the supportive atmosphere in the stands owes nothing much to how well the team are doing, and is instead largely responsible for it.

The implication is clear that the fans 'just are' right behind the team now, and would still be so if the team was struggling.  

Obviously, that's bollocks, but it is a view that's being expressed.

The reality is its a bit of a positive feedback system. Players do well - fans cheer - players are motivated to do well. Players do badly - fans boo - players don't want to play in front of the fans. Definitely not that the fans are responsible but I am sure they have an effect. And I think what others are saying is that our negative effect has been played up by managers trying to use it to agitate the players and that is not happening this season even in games where in the last few years it would have. It means there is more patience in waiting for last minute Brad Spencer or Morrison wonder goals where a couple of years ago the booing would have started by then and those players might not have had that motivation to go to the last minute. I don't think anyone is trying to take ownership of the teams good performance but just highlighting the fans could have been having a negative influence but it feels like that is no longer the case.

I hope McGlynn picks the same team as last week, no point rushing Spencer back when the team played so well last week. I understand the Queens fans concerns about their home form but this always seems to be a tough fixture for Falkirk

Edited by Shabba

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think this would benefit from inverting.

Stop kidding yourself that the support now being offered to the team was ever unconditional.  You could argue a slight chicken and egg thing I suppose.  The reality though is that fan mood is dictated much more by team performance than the other way around.

Fans are not completely without influence, but they've nothing like as much agency in this as the players.

I'm not suggesting this is unique to Falkirk.  It's how football is.

Where did I say it was unconditional? 
Having been at nearly all of our games this season 100% our support of the team has most certainly helped. 

That lineup, f**k me. This could be bad. Cochrane offered little going forward last week but protected the defence well enough (as I say, no surprise we lost the goal after he was subbed). Think we'll be overrun in midfield today and it could be a long day for McIntyre. This'll be the game McLelland gets sent off as well. 

This could be brutal.