Queens v Falkirk

38 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Fans aren’t stupid though, and understand that players are lifted by them. McGlynn was crystal clear about that this week. And it’s been confirmed that opposing managers used Falkirk fans’ well-known angst against us.  So it’s logical that fans now do the opposite and get behind the team more, especially when things are tough. I hope it lasts when a bad result or two comes along. 

So basically the identikit "Keep things tight for the opening 20/25 minutes and the crowd will start to turn" instruction issued by pretty much every manager the world over to their playing staff prior to an away game against a bigger club.

The idea that this is somehow unique to the big, bad, nasty, impatient Falkirk support - as one or two would shamefully like you to believe - is a complete and utter fallacy.

25 minutes ago, AGPar said:

So basically the identikit "Keep things tight for the opening 20/25 minutes and the crowd will start to turn" instruction issued by pretty much every manager the world over to their playing staff prior to an away game against a bigger club.

The idea that this is somehow unique to the big, bad, nasty, impatient Falkirk support - as one or two would shamefully like you to believe - is a complete and utter fallacy.

What the f’ck are you droning on about? It’s a fact, a player confirmed it. And the manager talks about the positive impact fans have on the team week in, week out. No-one said it’s unique to Falkirk fans, no-one even criticised Falkirk fans. The discussion is the contrast to how it’s been in previous seasons. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wasn't actually thinking of you when I posted but you're actually a good example. You join the website after MB has built his own (admittedly shite) squad and do nothing but criticise him. It'll be interesting to see if you slink off after he leaves the club. 

I do apologise for not joining this platform years ago! No doubt you'd have still complained  at me for posting about previous managers and their teams poor form and performances and boy have there been plenty, especially over the last few years.

I suppose if I had joined earlier I could have had as many posts as you as I post my opinion.

I don't want us to lose tomorrow, but expect we will and sadly for you, God willing I'll be here for a fair time to come. Bartley however in my opinion should we lose, shouldn't be.

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

Fans aren’t stupid though, and understand that players are lifted by them. McGlynn was crystal clear about that this week. And it’s been confirmed that opposing managers used Falkirk fans’ well-known angst against us.  So it’s logical that fans now do the opposite and get behind the team more, especially when things are tough. I hope it lasts when a bad result or two comes along. 

Yeah Sheran and McKinnon assembled a team that would’ve won the league, the atmosphere in the stadium was to blame. 

7 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

Yeah Sheran and McKinnon assembled a team that would’ve won the league, the atmosphere in the stadium was to blame. 

Not at all and, again, no-one is saying that. The point is that fans do have an impact on the players, positive or negative. That’s undeniable, even the manager is saying fans are lifting the players.

30 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

You’re just making shit up now, nobody has said this! However people are correct when pointing out the negative atmosphere in the stadium previously was indeed noted and used against us by opposition, this was confirmed by a current player who said it actually made up part of his managers team talk before playing against us at TFS. I’m totally convinced the excellent atmosphere in the stadium this season which has been notable from day one has helped the players massively. Long may it continue! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

23 minutes ago, bod said:

I do apologise for not joining this platform years ago! No doubt you'd have still complained  at me for posting about previous managers and their teams poor form and performances and boy have there been plenty, especially over the last few years.

I suppose if I had joined earlier I could have had as many posts as you as I post my opinion.

I don't want us to lose tomorrow, but expect we will and sadly for you, God willing I'll be here for a fair time to come. Bartley however in my opinion should we lose, shouldn't be.

Whatever you say. We'll see. 

16 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

Spot on mate. Hartley's squad in particular was a really good one and I think would have skooshed the league if it wasn't for the Falkirk support, who are quite clearly the worst in the country, nae, the world for creating an atmosphere and getting on the team's back!

41 minutes ago, StuartA said:

What the f’ck are you droning on about? It’s a fact, a player confirmed it. And the manager talks about the positive impact fans have on the team week in, week out. No-one said it’s unique to Falkirk fans, no-one even criticised Falkirk fans. The discussion is the contrast to how it’s been in previous seasons. 

So this "well-known angst of the Falkirk support" is really no more "well-known"or pronounced than that of pretty much every other home support?

Cheers for confirming

16 minutes ago, AGPar said:

So this "well-known angst of the Falkirk support" is really no more "well-known"or pronounced than that of pretty much every other home support?

Cheers for confirming

For a start, there’s more of us than just about every other club we’ve played in the league for the past decade. And because we’ve done so badly for much of that decade, it was pretty pronounced, and we’ll enough known for opposing managers to use against us.  I don’t see why it’s such a difficult proposition to say that if the team reacts well to fans backing them, they can equally react badly when the opposite is true. 

18 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Cheers for confirming

Get yourself down to row E of the main stand when it’s 0-0 after 15 minutes v Edinburgh in a week. You’ll change your tune!! 

13 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m totally convinced the excellent atmosphere in the stadium this season which has been notable from day one has helped the players massively. Long may it continue! 

And that excellent atmosphere would have endured if the team had been shit again?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

6 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Oh aye, we've got them too. There are one or two who hardly ever post unless there's something negative going on, then they're all over the threads like a rash!

It’s called negative bias, which is generally a human trait. 

I think when it comes to being positive about a team/player/manager it’s perhaps more a case of being concise and to the point (What a game Morrison had to today 😍 or Spencer, cracking player, and that covers it) whereas picking the bones out of being negative tends to be much more nuanced and prolonged,  especially to the depths we went too, and length of time. 

I reckon if we had a lengthy period of success, on and off the pitch, the number of posts on “The Falkirk Thread” would reduce a fair bit.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And that excellent atmosphere would have endured it the team had been shit again?

Possibly not, we will find that out when we eventually do go through a sticky patch but I predict it will endure (up to a point obviously) certainly think more patience would be shown by our fans now than before. There is a totally different atmosphere around the club in general since the change in ownership/governance and the active encouragement of the ultras section in the south stand has made a huge difference as well. The us and them attitudes caused by some of the previous regimes behind the scenes at the club are disappearing.  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

There was the league copy midweek Rangers game earlier that season in 75. I think the crowd was around 9, 000. Ayr 5-4 game that season in the cup was similar. 

I was at the Rangers midweek league cup tie at Palmerston also that season where we took them to ET but eventually losing out by one goal.  However, it was a much smaller crowd than the Big Cup quarter final - partly due to it being played on a shocking night weather wise, rain was lashing down most of the game.

I missed the midweek Ayr replay (couldn't get down from Glasgow where I was a student) although I was at the first 2-2 game at Somerset which also drew a decent crowd - Alan Ball saving a penalty despite having a broken ankle.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I was at both.

Never forget Rab Thorburn stopping a shot on the line with 2 hands and ref not giving a pen at Hearts game. 

Peter Dickson clean through on keeper at 0-0 in Rangers game and muffing his shot after being unplayable that season. 

Halcyon days. Wish we had either of these teams now

Yep, great sides back then.  Rab Thorburn was at Strathclyde Uni the same time as me (1976), he was doing mechanical engineering, small world.  Peter Dickson was on fire that season, never ultimately fulfilled his potential.

Just now, Bairn in Exile said:

This is developing into an unusual thread - Queens fans having a go at each other and Falkirk fans having a go at each other, but not laying a glove on the opposition's fans? 🤔😋

Aye, and auld gits dreaming of days gone by ...

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This is developing into an unusual thread - Queens fans having a go at each other and Falkirk fans having a go at each other, but not laying a glove on the opposition's fans? 🤔😋

It could be to do with both sets of fans having an understanding, even empathy, at having to endure some amount of dross over a number of years.