Which Male Comedian Do You Hate The Most?

44 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Kind of the clue m8. That he spends time explaining in his shows* that he is telling a joke is a sign of the times really. If you think Gervais is an outright horrible c**t like Jim Davidson then you clearly don't get his schtick. 

* As do other edgy comedians unfortunately. 

>Its racist/homophobic/anti-trans

>You are just woke and cant see the humour

>No, it is fundamentally racist/homophobic/anti-trans, using tropes and untrue statements about minorities in order to get a cheap laugh

>You just cant say anything these days without it being offensive. These are jokes

>But it is offensive and not funny 

He seems to see other comedians say things that get a backlash and then copies them and says them in a slightly different way just to sound edgy and makes himself out as the comedian who dares to say the things others wouldn't say. 

The whole routine about make a wish kids is just around pretending to say horrible things to dying children. The humour there is if it is inappropriate and done by accident. Not a millionaire comedian insulting a dying child just to be a c**t.  

I do like the Office (UK and US) so whilst in London with work four years ago I thiought I would go and see Gervais at the Hammersmith Apollo.  It was dreadful and I was quite pleased when it finished - got on the tube across the road along with loads of others who had exited the Apollo.  What struck me was no one who had just seen the show was talking about it  to their pals  - all the conversations were more mundane along the lines of "what did you have for your tea tonight"  A lot of his act was based on saying the C word outloud.........even that sounded wierd and completely un-natural.

I very rarely go to see comedians live but it is rather tragic that I will never see Sean Locke again.  He was superb.

1 hour ago, stanton said:

Paddy McGuinness . The luckiest guy on TV ,  unfunny, untalented and dam annoying 

Naw, David Baddiel.

Leeched off the talent of Rob Newman and then Frank Skinner.

Also bangs on incessantly about antisemitism yet thought it was funny to do blackface.

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

>Its racist/homophobic/anti-trans

>You are just woke and cant see the humour

>No, it is fundamentally racist/homophobic/anti-trans, using tropes and untrue statements about minorities in order to get a cheap laugh

>You just cant say anything these days without it being offensive. These are jokes

>But it is offensive and not funny 

He seems to see other comedians say things that get a backlash and then copies them and says them in a slightly different way just to sound edgy and makes himself out as the comedian who dares to say the things others wouldn't say. 

The whole routine about make a wish kids is just around pretending to say horrible things to dying children. The humour there is if it is inappropriate and done by accident. Not a millionaire comedian insulting a dying child just to be a c**t.  

I don't do the whole "woke/gammon" thing. I really don't care if folk want to spend their time being offended at things comedians say - the clue is in the title. It's different if they're going full Joey Barton. Similarly I don't watch one of these comedians and say shite like "they're just saying what everyone thinks" as it would suggest they mean what they're saying. I reckon 99% of these comedians audiences know it's an act. Only the folk who don't like them seem to think it's real. 

I've had this discussion on here before and I really can't be bothered doing it again. You like certain comedy or you don't. 

I will say one thing though, go and watch the last story on Dave Chappelle's last Netflix special. He tells us a story about a friend of his (a transgender lady - shock horror!) and what happened to her as a result of her being pals with Chappelle. Pretty sad tale. 

There are a few comedians who are like the Beatles, they are top tier, undisputed greats that even if you don't personally get, you respect them

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Billy Connolly, Then pre podcast huge comedians that could sell out arenas like Chappelle & Chris Rock. They are all undeniably huge comedians. 

The rest are pretty much objective. 

There are a few comedians who are like the Beatles, they are top tier, undisputed greats that even if you don't personally get, you respect them

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Billy Connolly, Then pre podcast huge comedians that could sell out arenas like Chappelle & Chris Rock. They are all undeniably huge comedians. 

The rest are pretty much objective. 

The Beatles were shite.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Naw, David Baddiel.

Leeched off the talent of Rob Newman and then Frank Skinner.

Also bangs on incessantly about antisemitism yet thought it was funny to do blackface.

Aye, Baddiel and Maureen Lipman are the stormtroopers of Antisemitism UK Ltd.

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Kevin Bridges is someone I increasingly find irritating, purely down to me noticing the style of his delivery. The way. He. Pauses. Between. Words. All. The. Fcuking. Time.

Just me? I think he’s a funny enough comedian, but well, you know. He’s slowly getting on my tits. A bit.

100% said this for years about his weird irritating delivery, it's fucking moronic and really put me off him. 

12 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The boy Smith who’s popping up everywhere in clips, his whole shtick seems to be *point to couple in crowd* then ask *yous shagging?* then proceed to call the girl a *dirty slut* for ‘shock horror’ having sex with her boyfriend. 

Don't get me wrong here, I don't like the look of this guy either but the problem for "comedians" is that they put these types of clips out cos they dn't wanna ruin their set material. So everyone thinks their jokes involved "hammering" front row folk when really it's about 2% of the show. Still He does look shite.

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

His last two specials, he's stolen stuff off Bill Burr,

I like Burr, what did Gervais steal?

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't do the whole "woke/gammon" thing. I really don't care if folk want to spend their time being offended at things comedians say - the clue is in the title. It's different if they're going full Joey Barton. Similarly I don't watch one of these comedians and say shite like "they're just saying what everyone thinks" as it would suggest they mean what they're saying. I reckon 99% of these comedians audiences know it's an act. Only the folk who don't like them seem to think it's real. 

I've had this discussion on here before and I really can't be bothered doing it again. You like certain comedy or you don't. 

I will say one thing though, go and watch the last story on Dave Chappelle's last Netflix special. He tells us a story about a friend of his (a transgender lady - shock horror!) and what happened to her as a result of her being pals with Chappelle. Pretty sad tale. 

I have been to see Jerry Sadowitz a few times, you can see what he is trying to do. Other comedians use offensive language as a tool to get to a punchline where as base level "shock comics" the offensive language is the punchline. Like Roy "Chubby" Brown, I had the misfortune of going to see him as part of a stag weekend, one of his punchlines was "she had a right hairy John McVeigh is a tit" 

I wasn't offended by anything Gervais said in his special, it was just spectacularly plagiarised and unfunny

I have been to see Jerry Sadowitz a few times, you can see what he is trying to do. Other comedians use offensive language as a tool to get to a punchline where as base level "shock comics" the offensive language is the punchline. Like Roy "Chubby" Brown, I had the misfortune of going to see him as part of a stag weekend, one of his punchlines was "she had a right hairy John McVeigh is a tit" 

I wasn't offended by anything Gervais said in his special, it was just spectacularly plagiarised and unfunny

Haven't seen Sadowitz yet but he's definitely one I'd like to go and see. Particularly as you can't find anything on him in clips! 

Seen Brown in Blackpool in my younger/naïve years and he wasn't funny at all. I think there's a huge difference between pushing boundaries (IMO, Gervais, Jeffries, Chappelle etc.) and being outright offensive for offensive's sake (Manning, Brown, Davidson). Some folk think they're one in the same and I just don't agree with that. 

Have named my disliked ones, but their faces are so slappable that they’re worth mentioning again, to offset the ones I do like… Beckett, Ranganathan, Widdecombe & Whitehall. Typed like that, it looks like the world’s worst law firm, or a list of Tory MPs forced to stand down for varying degrees of cuntery this year. No matter, those I do like…

Eddie Izzard, back in the day, a great run of DVDs - Dressed to Kill, Definite Article, and a couple of others from that era. Billy Connolly - too many great comedy moments to even start mentioning them. I do still find Kevin Bridges funny, despite his increasingly irritating habit of pausing. After. Each. Word. Then repeating it. Pausing. After. Each. Word… again. Saw Bill Hicks live once, Glasgow Pavilion, he was great. I enjoyed a few of Tim Minchin’s DVDs, not sure if he qualifies though. Some of Michael McIntyre’s early stuff was actually really good, then obviously, he turned into, well, Michael McIntyre. A few of Jim Jeffries Netflix shows were good, and, so help me god, I find Alan Carr funny when he turns his hand to stand up. There must be a ton of others I’ve missed. 

Edited by pozbaird

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I kind of knew it would go like this, but still a bit surprised at how emotive the subject is. Why do we get so annoyed about comedians?

The concept of comedy effectively boils down to a deeply obnoxious person trying to make you like them by shouting at you. You'd have a harder time finding one who's tolerable than one you hate.

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

ILike Roy "Chubby" Brown, I had the misfortune of going to see him as part of a stag weekend, one of his punchlines was "she had a right hairy John McVeigh is a tit" 

Funnier than anything the majority of named comedians have uttered. 

There was a guy on tv a few years ago - think it was prime time on a Saturday night.  He was absolutely hillarious and had everyone talking about him the next day.  Brilliant story teller and un-expected punchlines.  Hasnt been seen much in public or tv since.

Ah, just remembered who it was, not sure if it was just his stage name but he was called Prince Andrew.

Oh looks as if he is making a comeback on Netflix - "And if anyone has forgotten the excruciating Newsnight interview, Netflix is soon turning it into a film, which once again will have people talking about not sweating and pizzas. He's gone from a working royal to the Woking royal."

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

There was a guy on tv a few years ago - think it was prime time on a Saturday night.  He was absolutely hillarious and had everyone talking about him the next day.  Brilliant story teller and un-expected punchlines.  Hasnt been seen much in public or tv since.

Ah, just remembered who it was, not sure if it was just his stage name but he was called Prince Andrew.

Oh looks as if he is making a comeback on Netflix - "And if anyone has forgotten the excruciating Newsnight interview, Netflix is soon turning it into a film, which once again will have people talking about not sweating and pizzas. He's gone from a working royal to the Woking royal."

He’s back next week. Guest presenter on Have I Got Nonce For You.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

There was a documentary about this already, with Emily Maitlis repeatedly giving it her best "gosh, I can't believe he's said this" and some producer lassie stroking her own ego about how great she is. Maybe we'll get a film about the making of the documentary at some point.

The funniest part is how shocked everyone was that a member of the monarchy would be so arrogant and entitled.