Overrated/Underrated food.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Not sure how rated fermented foods are

Puer tea is sensational. Actually, quality tea is a great investment. You can get some very good stuff for pennies per cup. Blows Twinings and the like out of the water.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Puer tea is sensational. Actually, quality tea is a great investment. You can get some very good stuff for pennies per cup. Blows Twinings and the like out of the water.

I'm a massive kombucha fan but this sounds like a different animal entirely. Cheers for the recommendation. I'll deffo be trying that.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Doubtful in the extreme. 

@DiegoDiego is 100% correct. It's the produce that makes it easy. The concept of a market still exists in Italy i.e. a place where producers can sell and consumers can buy the freshest, best quality ingredients every single day. Supermarkets still exist here but even there the quality is astronomically better than, for example Tesco. 

Authenticity is just another word for sticking to the recipe. Pasta carbonara can't be called carbonara with the addition of cream due to the fact that pasta carbonara doesn't contain cream. That's not snobbery, it's just doing it correctly.

@Melanius Mullarkant

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I will have to try this. Do you drink it on its own? You buy it from Chinese Supermarket?

My usual tea is Assam from Twinings. Black, no milk or sugar.  

Today I bought another Twinings tea - Turmeric with orange and star anise. It was on sale so I am going to give it a try.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I will have to try this. Do you drink it on its own? You buy it from Chinese Supermarket?

Today I bought another Twinings tea - Turmeric with orange and star anise. It was on sale so I am going to give it a try.

White teas (like Pu Er) are up there with Irn Bru Energy when it comes to giving a lasting, edgy blast of nervous energy.

8 hours ago, velo army said:

This speaks to my point. It's fucking ham and eggs in pasta. Also, Italians are wildly fastidious about the "authenticity" of their food, but I'll bet you there are a few places in Italy that put cream in it. Carbonara just refers to the burnt bacon. Nutmeg is an outstanding addition tbf.

The weird thing about the Italian fastidiousness is most of those recipes date in their present form at best from the 60s. When an Italian cultural historian pointed this out he received death threats

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

For me tea is like whisky, if you feel the need to mix it, you're drinking the wrong stuff. You can get it from a Chinese supermarket, and that'd probably be my first stop, I think one of those ones up the bridges sells some half decent stuff which will give you a good idea of what it's about.

If you enjoy that then, again like whisky, it's about how far down the rabbit hole you wish to go. The best stuff tends to be over three years old but less than fifteen. Even the stuff from the Chinese supermarket will be like drinking Lagavulin after a lifetime of Glen's Vodka though.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm a massive kombucha fan but this sounds like a different animal entirely. Cheers for the recommendation. I'll deffo be trying that.

Let me know how it goes. 

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Doubtful in the extreme. 

@DiegoDiego is 100% correct. It's the produce that makes it easy. The concept of a market still exists in Italy i.e. a place where producers can sell and consumers can buy the freshest, best quality ingredients every single day. Supermarkets still exist here but even there the quality is astronomically better than, for example Tesco. 

And yet they still drink more Tennents' Super than every tramp living under a bridge in Scotland. 

We've been through this tea thing before.

Irish breakfast tea, loose leaf from Fortnum and Mason. It sounds ridiculously posh, but at £12 for a tin of the stuff it is superb, and will last for a couple of years.

You can also be a low-life Dundonian/ Fifer republican c**t and buy the stuff in the West of London and still get served.

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

And yet they still drink more Tennents' Super than every tramp living under a bridge in Scotland. 

It’s a funny one that.

Conversely Peroni is seen as piss water in Italy (and I agree with them) but most of this country considers it an upmarket beer.

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

Aye mental although only seen it in the North, its ubiquitous in Turin and Milan sometimes to the exclusion of other beers.

36 minutes ago, virginton said:

Couldn't believe it when I was there. The staff at a bar I passed were wearing Tennent's Super hoodies and the parasols were the same. There was even a Tennent's Super branded beer fridge in a shop I was in. Told the lassie I was staying with via a translator that it was mostly homeless people that drank it here and she just said "oh".