The New Raith Rovers Thread

If by most, you mean at least six Championship teams could do reasonably well in the top-tier, then I'm not entirely sure how you could come to that assertion.

You can't base it on cup results. If you did, then by the same measurement, Arbroath could do well in the Championship as they held Dundee United to a draw.

Take our team from last season for example. We were the fourth best team in the second tier by a huge margin, but would the same side have survived in the Premiership? I have my doubts.

Even Falkirk would probably have required a good few new additions to make a decent fist of it, and they were a really solid side.

To the last 2 posters. How many have come straight back down after being promoted??? The whole truth is we only get to play premiership teams in cup knockout games in which these teams do well. How can you say its not possible to sustain that over a period. Its never been tried other than by those promoted who are still their. And dont say they are bigger teams, that just doesnt wash with me.

You aren't getting this. Teams that don't come straight back down go through large turnover of players and invest very heavily in players in order to stay up.

You have implied that teams in this league would hold their own in the premiership with their current squads - which is bemusing.

Look at Dundee a few years ago. Found themselves in the top league unexpectedly, had an upper first division squad - didn't even come close to staying up.

8 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

To the last 2 posters. How many have come straight back down after being promoted??? The whole truth is we only get to play premiership teams in cup knockout games in which these teams do well. How can you say its not possible to sustain that over a period. Its never been tried other than by those promoted who are still their. And dont say they are bigger teams, that just doesnt wash with me.

The teams that stayed there have done so by investing in their squads. 

One off games in knockout tournaments cannot possibly give an indication of a longer term trend any more than a singular league game last season can. 

10 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

If by most, you mean at least six Championship teams could do reasonably well in the top-tier, then I'm not entirely sure how you could come to that assertion.

You can't base it on cup results. If you did, then by the same measurement, Arbroath could do well in the Championship as they held Dundee United to a draw.

Take our team from last season for example. We were the fourth best team in the second tier by a huge margin, but would the same side have survived in the Premiership? I have my doubts.

Even Falkirk would probably have required a good few new additions to make a decent fist of it, and they were a really solid side.

That applies to any team that gets promoted BUT some maybe 6 this year have good strong squads that have the ability to sustain a period in the spl.

Its worth noting we absolutely dicked Falkirk while missing 4/5 starters and playing half the game at walking pace. The only Championship side I'd say could survive is Hibs.

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

What do you base that assumption on?

Unfortunately it cannot be put to the test can it. But just one instant Hamilton accies they are still their arent they. 

And RG why only hibs. How many chamionpship sides have you seen pre season or in the cup ties. 

Just now, Varna Rover said:

Unfortunately it cannot be put to the test can it. But just one instant Hamilton accies they are still their arent they. 

And RG why only hibs. How many chamionpship sides have you seen pre season or in the cup ties. 

Because they actually have decent depth. I'm basing it purely on squads on paper, and obviously teams can play above that, but, over a season, that can be the difference.

1 hour ago, Martin Nelson said:

Yep not sure how anyone can lap up our draw with Ross County while dismissing the Morton result at the same time. Both are good results.

If that is aimed at me then at no point have I lapped up our result with Ross County.  Both ARE good results but let's not kid ourselves.... Most teams aren't out of pre season mode, neither game was a s*****ht knockout, Kilmarnock were trying to bed in an almost entirely new 1st eleven.

We will face a tougher game at Ayr than we did up there I've no doubt

*edited to ask why s t r a i g h t is a swear word?!

Edited by Pride of Fife

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because they actually have decent depth. I'm basing it purely on squads on paper, and obviously teams can play above that, but, over a season, that can be the difference.

That can apply to any team in either division can it not. The rovers have decent depth as do hibs and no doubt DU too, but why say these teams dont have decent depth they all have and many are looking to add depth by the end of august.

13 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

You aren't basing this on pre season and this cup are you?!

Good lord no, But on depth and quality which at least 4 teams now have and no doubt others will have by the end of august.

That can apply to any team in either division can it not. The rovers have decent depth as do hibs and no doubt DU too, but why say these teams dont have decent depth they all have and many are looking to add depth by the end of august.

I'm not on about numbers, I'm on about actual quality. 

2 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

So am i RG

Yesterday Falkirk brought on Bob McHugh and Austin to "change the game" and both looked absolutely miles from the level of the Premiership. Who do you lot have to come in when poor form, injuries and suspensions hit? The likes of Bobby Barr and Mark Stewart?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yesterday Falkirk brought on Bob McHugh and Austin to "change the game" and both looked absolutely miles from the level of the Premiership. Who do you lot have to come in when poor form, injuries and suspensions hit? The likes of Bobby Barr and Mark Stewart?

go look at our squad on the rovers website. Its very nuch a case of who do we leave out just now. But we aint talking about the rovers are. Do you honestly think most teams in the championship will go into september without depth.

go look at our squad on the rovers website. Its very nuch a case of who do we leave out just now. But we aint talking about the rovers are. Do you honestly think most teams in the championship will go into september without depth.

Without good depth yes, I looked at your squad, and it looks shite compared to the standard in the top flight.