The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Going to guess that a few people’s opinions on O’Reilly as a player would have been vastly different right now had he signed on at Raith.

Suddenly a player you were really keen to keep becomes over-hyped.

When both Murray and Watson were fit he drops to 3rd maybe even 4th choice he was a short term fix… as I’ve posted earlier Ian Murray probably didn’t want him in the end or we would’ve got something done weeks ago rather than leave it last minute 

Fair play to the club for clearly sticking to their guns with O’Reilly-think if we’d offered him that extra year he would still be with us.

The ‘Transfer Crew’ clearly have a plan in place when it comes to players coming in and out-would imagine that they already have targets lined up for the summer and O’Reilly getting that extra year might’ve scuppered this plans.

3 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Apparently partick are in the hunt for Byrne signing a PCA with them as well could just be paper talk but 

I can’t accept thinking that this could be a reality - no thank you.

On a separate note had a look on the DU thread..have you seen their financials 😳 looks an absolute car crash. They cannot afford anything other than to go up. 

38 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Never mind new faces coming in!

So now we know O'Reilly is away, the reality is the following players could sign a PCA with another club, as all out of contract at seasons end.

Thomson, McNeil
Corr, Masson, Dick, Millen,Watson
Matthews, Byrne (loan), McGill, Easton, Ross
Vaughan, Gullan

So as well as getting in some fresh faces, we face the prospect of losing some of the above if we don't get the chequebook out to secure them.

Priorities?
I would say one or both goalies, Millen (aggressive RB and good crosser - currently only RB we have!), Byrne and Vaughan.

Easton I think is already away.  McGill is a very useful player but is a wage to sit on the bench.  Ross will be away to Falkirk permanently I think.

I like Matthews but he has been out for a long time, and will take time to work back into the team.  I hope he is the player he was and then we can add him as a priority too.

Dick is better I think in the middle than he is at LB.  But Premier league possibly?

The rest have not played enough for me to be other than meh if they go.

I'm sure there are offers/discussions with those we want to keep. 

I don't think we should get too hung up on actual contract extensions though. Currently it's far from clear which league we will be in next season therefore there may be players we don't want to commit, or commit long term to, should we actually attain promotion. Similarly, there are players who are likely to receive offers from us and other teams at levels around or above us given some of our performances this season. I wouldn't anticipate many contract extensions, or PCAs being agreed with other clubs, over the next month or two.

I think we will have definitely offered Vaughan and Easton terms. I can see Easton sitting it out and waiting to see his full options. Vaughan, with his injury history, may be easier to deal with to ensure he has some security. 

I would say our priorities at present should be securing as strong a squad as possible, within our budget, to get promoted this season. There is a real opportunity there that existed before Dan O'Reilly came to the club.

19 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Any update on how many games Millen misses?

SFA Disciplinary Update summaries haven’t been updated since 2 Nov, but his name isn’t on the hearing list (yet). There’s been no suggestion it was an A2 violation, so it must have been an A5 for language, which is one match immediate. If the match official referred him for anything else, I’d have expected a hearing notice to have been mentioned by the Rovers before now.

If 2 games does he then miss Livi game?

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

SFA Disciplinary Update summaries haven’t been updated since 2 Nov, but his name isn’t on the hearing list (yet). There’s been no suggestion it was an A2 violation, so it must have been an A5 for language, which is one match immediate. If the match official referred him for anything else, I’d have expected a hearing notice to have been mentioned by the Rovers before now.

54 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Priorities?
I would say one or both goalies, Millen (aggressive RB and good crosser - currently only RB we have!), Byrne and Vaughan.

I would say that Millen may have ended his effectiveness unless he gets a handle on his aggression/emotions. He’s shown teams how he’ll possibly react to being goaded, and anyone who believes this hasn’t now been noted and won’t be used is living in a dream world. Millen has 7 yellows in 20 games and a straight red, missing two games already due to them and on track for at least two more,

Do you think any winger worth their salt will pass up an opportunity to prod Millen now, especially if he’s on a yellow?

4 minutes ago, SerieA said:

If 2 games does he then miss Livi game?

Probably yes, the case for 2 games would be under the violent conduct A2 provision, which is 2 immediate if issued in Championship play. If due to a JPP Hearing, the matter is more variable.

13 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I'm sure there are offers/discussions with those we want to keep. 

I don't think we should get too hung up on actual contract extensions though. Currently it's far from clear which league we will be in next season therefore there may be players we don't want to commit, or commit long term to, should we actually attain promotion. Similarly, there are players who are likely to receive offers from us and other teams at levels around or above us given some of our performances this season. I wouldn't anticipate many contract extensions, or PCAs being agreed with other clubs, over the next month or two.

I think we will have definitely offered Vaughan and Easton terms. I can see Easton sitting it out and waiting to see his full options. Vaughan, with his injury history, may be easier to deal with to ensure he has some security. 

I would say our priorities at present should be securing as strong a squad as possible, within our budget, to get promoted this season. There is a real opportunity there that existed before Dan O'Reilly came to the club.

I think Easton will likely be off in the summer…. But the 2 priorities have to be Vaughan and Byrne (rumoured partick are now in the Byrne hunt) then I think Matthews will stay….. not really arsed if Liam Dick Stays or Goes/ same with Watson/ Gullan and few others 

26 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Apparently partick are in the hunt for Byrne signing a PCA with them as well could just be paper talk

I would absolutely fucking love this to happen, obviously.

Can’t see it though, with Byrne being from Kennoway and his personal stuff. 

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I would absolutely fucking love this to happen, obviously.

Can’t see it though, with Byrne being from Kennoway and his personal stuff. 

Why? Is there some sort of ongoing issue between the Maryhill Fleet and the Kennoway Boys?

2 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Why? Is there some sort of ongoing issue between the Maryhill Fleet and the Kennoway Boys?

I’m not wanting to speculate too much, but I believe that Byrne has responsibilities outwith football which mean that staying fairly local is a priority for him. 

16 minutes ago, bagpuss said:

I'd hope that with his Fife connections and how much he appears to be enjoying his time with us if a good enough contract is put in front of him he'll sign.

I’ve got a feeling we might put a 3 year deal on the table for him as other clubs seem to only give out 1/1.5/2 year deals at this level and we’ve done it this season with Hamilton and Mullin so it is a possibility 

12 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Going to guess that a few people’s opinions on O’Reilly as a player would have been vastly different right now had he signed on at Raith.

Suddenly a player you were really keen to keep becomes over-hyped.

Opinions were sky rocketed after his double in the derby