The New Raith Rovers Thread

Kevin Smith has been asked to stay on with Notts County for a friendly on Thursday. Apparently they've been impressed and will make a definite decision after the match. Doesn't sound promising from our point of view.

Also, you might be interested to hear that Antonio Calderon is now in charge of Spanish side Albacate, who play in the Segunda Division and have recently played in La Liga, after a good couple of seasons with Huesca, where Raul Ojeda is managing director. He's named Paquito as a coach.

Kevin Smith has been asked to stay on with Notts County for a friendly on Thursday. Apparently they've been impressed and will make a definite decision after the match. Doesn't sound promising from our point of view.

Also, you might be interested to hear that Antonio Calderon is now in charge of Spanish side Albacate, who play in the Segunda Division and have recently played in La Liga, after a good couple of seasons with Huesca, where Raul Ojeda is managing director. He's named Paquito as a coach.

True, but I hope he gets it, seems a decent lad who wants to get on in life, a bit of a comedown if he can't get the Notts County gig and his fall back is us.

Yes ta, thats interesting. I reckon thats a class management act. Our passing and teamwork under Calderon was outstanding - teams couldnt get the ball off us. The only problem was that our great movement didnt produce a lot of goals. Paquito -how our midfield could do with a Paquito now. Good luck to them both.

Yes ta, thats interesting. I reckon thats a class management act. Our passing and teamwork under Calderon was outstanding - teams couldnt get the ball off us. The only problem was that our great movement didnt produce a lot of goals. Paquito -how our midfield could do with a Paquito now. Good luck to them both.

Yep. The only real criticism you could throw at Calderon regarded his tactics - his tactics could be overly negative at times.

He did what was asked of him two years in a row, and I was really happy with the way the club was going under him. Safe to say, we certainly paid the price for what we did to him. It's only now that we've got ourselves back to where we were under him.

Glad to see he's doing alright for himself back in Spain.

Whilst Calderon had us playing lovely football across the park, it was in the most part overly negative.

The cheating and diving of some players under his control was unneccessary.

He did however meet his targets (JUST) in both his seasons with us, although I would suggest with the budget at his disposal in year 1 it would have been hard to have failed.

Calderon did what he was asked, other has failed since and failed before him.

Glad to see himself and Paco are doing well for themselves though. I doubt we will ever have a player of Paquito's class playing for the Rovers again.

I totally accept that Calderon's budget was pretty big and what he achieved, aesthetically tremendous as it was, was little more than the minimum expected - but I still remember it as fondly as any general period of Rovershood that I've known. I've been watching the Huesca results, which have mostly very good, and managed to watch them online a couple of times. Albacete is a definite step up and will be aiming at promotion - should they manage, I'd love to see Calderon and Paco in the away dugout at Camp Nou or Bernabeu. I'd probably keich my brain, in fact.

Edited by L. Brilliant

I'm sorry to go off in a different direction. But, what are the real possibilities of us signing O'Carroll for this season. Its looking like Kevin Smith might be joining Notts County, and doing really well in pre-season. O'Carroll has to get a chance and what i've heard has merited a start.

Warriors v Raith tonight at Ochilview. Will it be a realtively strong squad from Raith? Any trialists likely to feature?

The trend so far seems to (apparently) be in the first half we do really well creating chances and pressurising the opposition. We'll then make massive changes at half time and the game grinds to a halt.

Warriors v Raith tonight at Ochilview. Will it be a realtively strong squad from Raith? Any trialists likely to feature?

Not to sure, we've got Diurmund O'carroll on trial, he's played in three games and I'm not sure what the rules for trialists in friendlies are, is it he same as the league, if so we are unlikely to have anyone new. If not O'carroll will most likely feature.

I'm firing through to stenny tonight, never been before and it crosses another one of the list.

The team we play will more than likely be a strong as it can be as JM will probably pick his lineup for Saturday. The only doubT will be O'Carroll.

Could somebody going to the game please fire a few updates on either this thread or the pre-season friendly one?

I'm working tonight... in Larbert. FFS.

I'm going along so will post the score on this thread from my phone during the game.

Would normally give friendlies a miss but with it being less than 4 miles away it's more or less a "home" game for me.