The Falkirk FC Thread

It was tongue in cheek. Sorry if it touched a nerve [emoji6]

No need to apologise & certainly no nerve touched. Was genuinely interested if that was ur opinion. Surprised you have gone with the 'tongue in cheek' defence tho. Wasn't expecting that.

If we fail to get to the play offs

Don't think the Board are that interested really, if so, they would have made some changes long before now.

In reality, how much money to we stand to make 3rd or 4th. The way we have played this season it would more likely be an extra 2 games

Football teams with intentions would not allow their team to languish where we have been and watching what we have witnessed all season on the park.

I honestly think the Board are as lost as our manager, like he, they do not know what their doing.

Yeah and scobbie will be happy to take a pay cut to play for us im sure. If Grant leaves under contract it will be to a much bigger club than st Johnstone.  Only chance of him ending up in Perth is if he leaves under freedom of contract and I reckon he'll be away long before then.

So the Board should just sit and let him stew? Or should they get shot? Surely letting the impasse go on effects our play off chances?
They can see the team deficiencies like us all. If we fail to get to the play offs then for me the Board carry the can. They have it in their hands to either back the manager, help him clear people out (which may cost money) or get shot of him. Doing nothing is not an option.
L

The board have already gave Houston a budget this season, which I'm assuming will be the 3rd biggest in the league, and he's chosen to spend it on this current squad that he's largely assembled. The top 2 positions are already gone and it would be absolute madness for us to overspend to try and finish top 4. Any team that finishes 3rd or 4th in this league won't get promoted it's just asking too much at the end of a long season.

Again why should the board be paying players contracts up? And how exactly could it be their fault if we don't finish top 4. It will 100% be Houstons fault he's chosen to sign all these players and him that 6 months into the season still can't find a system that makes the most of the squad he's assembled. He needs to stop shoehorning players into a system and start playing a formation that fits the players he's signed.

I would be giving Houston until the end of the season to turn it around however the board are absolutely correct that unless he can move on some of the absolute duds (I'm looking at you James Craigen) he signed in the summer then he needs to work with what he's got. If things don't improve I'd expect either him to walk or get punted in the summer.

No need to apologise & certainly no nerve touched. Was genuinely interested if that was ur opinion. Surprised you have gone with the 'tongue in cheek' defence tho. Wasn't expecting that.

Lots of my mates still sit in there so was having a backward pop at them TBH. Anytime I have been in there recently there is an element who are there for the social and the football is secondary to their golf swing.

The board have already gave Houston a budget this season, which I'm assuming will be the 3rd biggest in the league, and he's chosen to spend it on this current squad that he's largely assembled. The top 2 positions are already gone and it would be absolute madness for us to overspend to try and finish top 4. Any team that finishes 3rd or 4th in this league won't get promoted it's just asking too much at the end of a long season.

Again why should the board be paying players contracts up? And how exactly could it be their fault if we don't finish top 4. It will 100% be Houstons fault he's chosen to sign all these players and him that 6 months into the season still can't find a system that makes the most of the squad he's assembled. He needs to stop shoehorning players into a system and start playing a formation that fits the players he's signed.

I would be giving Houston until the end of the season to turn it around however the board are absolutely correct that unless he can move on some of the absolute duds (I'm looking at you James Craigen) he signed in the summer then he needs to work with what he's got. If things don't improve I'd expect either him to walk or get punted in the summer.

Think you are missing my point. I agree he should be told to move people on. However if that is not something they can do then they have to have a plan B or to me it just looks like they are taking the cowards way out and hope Houston walks and at the same time gambling on us not making the play offs. Houston is too long in the tooth to fall for that tactic.

For me that does 2 things. It costs us finance both directly and indirectly. One is obvious a lower league place means less cash. The second is unless there is a substantial investment in the summer and a new manager then ST sales will fall considerably as a lot of fans will see there is no interest in following something that has no ambition. That is turn leads to more problems.

Ultimately if we do not make the play offs the Board are to blame if they have to opportunity to get rid of a manager they clearly have lost faith in.

The constant let's wait and see who is in the league policy is wearing thin. You have to try to control your own destiny. Every season we have had an excuse not to spend on the team since we have gone down. We now have another right in front of our eyes. I repeat doing nothing can't be an option.

I'd hope that with our current financial situation being very good that we could at least compete with some of the smaller sides in the top flight. If Alston was to move on I'd like to think he'd be moving on to a real step up and not to sides playing in front of crowds nearly half what we're getting.

Worth reading the post above, in relation to when we moved for Alston

Yeah and scobbie will be happy to take a pay cut to play for us im sure. If Grant leaves under contract it will be to a much bigger club than st Johnstone.  Only chance of him ending up in Perth is if he leaves under freedom of contract and I reckon he'll be away long before then.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tam Scobbie, Paul Paton and £50k for Peter Grant sounds like a decent deal for you lot. Happy we're doing business yet again.

At least go with a realistic bait if you're going to go fishing.

We don't need a left back and certainly not a defensive midfielder.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth reading the post above, in relation to when we moved for Alston.

Yeah and read my post. Alston was out of contract that's why he ended up in Perth.  Otherwise he'd still be with us. He also hung on till the end of the season to see if we went up as he again would then have stayed with us. Grant has not long signed an extention and won't be going anywhere for a less than sizeable sum. If and when his contract runs out and he's still with us then which will be very surprising you might get him if he's like Alston fed up playing in the championship.

As pointed out the last thing we need in our squad anyway is a left back and a midfield plodder.We've got two excellent left backs and John rankin. Is the 50k only involved if we also take Paul Paton?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

At least go with a realistic bait if you're going to go fishing.
We don't need a left back and certainly not a defensive midfielder.

Aye, the Scobbie/Paton bit was a joke, our interest in Grant isn't though.

Genuinely can't see it happening as we're pretty restrictive in terms of fees, but we're nearing £2.5m in the bank, and there's surely a point when we'll be willing to spend a little if the right player comes along.