The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yes we were poor at the end

Nonsense- we had a good spell in the middle of the season but other than that were nowhere near consistent enough over the course. 

I’m also not sure you’re correct on the “comfortably best points average”- I suspect Miller and McCracken’s was very similar if not better.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

1)Comfortably the best points average 2)and most discernible play style since Peter Houston, coming off the back of 5/6 years of utter squad turmoil and worsening each year. Yes we were poor at the end, but we were comfortably better than the year before.

We‘ll see if it turns out well this year, but wanting to change manager and a large chunk of the squad again after the last couple of years is nothing short of insanity in my opinion.

1) We were playing in the Championship then

2) I'll give you that, unfortunately the style is boring, ponderous, sideways, tippy tappy shite.

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

And I bet you were giving equally fair reviews to our players in recent years. No way are people just listening to their mates over pints and coming out with strong opinions rather than giving those folk a couple of games.

Never mentioned a couple of games in any reference, and for the record I’ve given many players a decent initial review, only to witness horrendous individuals not fit for the shirt.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

1) We were playing in the Championship then

2) I'll give you that, unfortunately the style is boring, ponderous, sideways, tippy tappy shite.

1) And? Hartley, McKinnon drastically worse in the higher league. Everyone since worse in the same league.

2) Just going to head right out again, this is pointless. We couldn‘t even make it out of our own half against teams the year before. We were hopeless, no passing, no movement, no chances. Getting worse constantly.

Last year was our first uptick in years and people want to change again. No sense for group dynamics, team bonding, learning a style together. Just stick 15 blokes and an experienced hard hat gaffer and we‘ll piss it. We have a big crowd after all.

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

1) And? Hartley, McKinnon drastically worse in the higher league. Everyone since worse in the same league.

2) Just going to head right out again, this is pointless. We couldn‘t even make it out of our own half against teams the year before. We were hopeless, no passing, no movement, no chances. Getting worse constantly.

Last year was our first uptick in years and people want to change again. No sense for group dynamics, team bonding, learning a style together. Just stick 15 blokes and an experienced hard hat gaffer and we‘ll piss it. We have a big crowd after all.

Yes, but you quoted Houston's performance, not me. I was merely pointing out that you were lauding McGlynn's points average in League 1 while Houston's points average was achieved in a higher league. For McGlynn only to be matching that is poor in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Yes, but you quoted Houston's performance, not me. I was merely pointing out that you were lauding McGlynn's points average in League 1 while Houston's points average was achieved in a higher league. For McGlynn only to be matching that is poor in my opinion.

Houston was the last one to have a discernible play style, not a better points average. McGlynn beats everyone this century, as he should in League 1.

And doing that coming out of the complete clown show of previous gaffers comfortably earns him another go for me. Anything but changing it all up again, which has brought us to where we are.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Never mentioned a couple of games in any reference, and for the record I’ve given many players a decent initial review, only to witness horrendous individuals not fit for the shirt.

And the last sentence should show that saying none of our sayings are arguably better than what we had is pointless before they‘ve kicked a ball for us. 

Half the dross I couldn‘t believe were professionals in our League 1 spell has gone on to play higher up. Stability and some sort of existing team spirit and professional environment helps.

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Houston was the last one to have a discernible play style, not a better points average. McGlynn beats everyone this century, as he should in League 1.

And doing that coming out of the complete clown show of previous gaffers comfortably earns him another go for me. Anything but changing it all up again, which has brought us to where we are.

Then I suggest that you correct your initial post.

"Comfortably the best points average and most discernible play style since Peter Houston"

24 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Then I suggest that you correct your initial post.

"Comfortably the best points average and most discernible play style since Peter Houston"

There hasn‘t been a manager since Houston with a discernible playstyle and there hasn‘t been a manager with a better points average in decades.

Thought that worked for what I wrote originally as well, but this is what I meant.

Edited by Gollum

51 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Have we just played and lost our opening league game early or something?  Where has all this negativity suddenly appeared from?

It seems to have stemmed from Mcglynn’s interview on Saturday that said that his budget was spent and we haven’t signed a right back. Although there’s the loan market to hopefully get someone in it doesn’t seem to be sitting well with some.

My thoughts on this is it’s quite concerning to be entering the season with only Yeats that can realistically play right back. I’ll give credit where it’s due and say that in the majority Mcglynn’s signings have been of better quality than the managers before back to the Houston era, but his tactics and ability to adapt in games especially bigger games Dunfermline/cup semi/playoffs are still a huge concern for me.

Guest Ecosse83

Quite happy with how the squad is looking overall. Plenty of different options and it looks like we will be able to be more flexible during games now. 

Mcglynn has always excelled in the loan market throughout his career so a few of them in and we will be good to go.

On 08/07/2023 at 16:43, ebobsboy said:

Given he had 10 in a poor Clyde team before he signed it wasn't unrealistic he might have got 20 last season. Unfortunately for him he was mainly on the bench. He needs to start every week not only for his own good but the fact is realistically he's probably the only striker we have that might get 20 goals. The fly in the ointment is Oliver who if he scores a few goals early doors McGlynn will keep picking him week in week out even if he's playing shite. 

“Poor “ Clyde team? How dare you…. we were and are “utter crap”

33 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Quite happy with how the squad is looking overall. Plenty of different options and it looks like we will be able to be more flexible during games now. 

Mcglynn has always excelled in the loan market throughout his career so a few of them in and we will be good to go.

I think that is a hefty exaggeration of McGlynn’s loan market dealings. He has had his share of successes, but he has also had his share of abject failures too.

In no way is he some grand master of the loan market over his 17 year career. That’s just not true.

10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think that is a hefty exaggeration of McGlynn’s loan market dealings. He has had his share of successes, but he has also had his share of abject failures too.

In no way is he some grand master of the loan market over his 17 year career. That’s just not true.

Off the top of my head, Hughes signed a number of players who turned to sh*te while at Falkirk (I'm not going into the whole Hughes fall outs with some players), yet he also signed some who excelled. 

It's not as if McGlynn is alone in making good and bad signings, even De Bruyne and Salah turned out to be poor signings at Chelsea but now look at them! 

Least the squads pretty much settled with about 4 weeks to go before first league game. 

Your striker options look worrying though. Don't see where the goals will come from.

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Least the squads pretty much settled with about 4 weeks to go before first league game. 

Your striker options look worrying though. Don't see where the goals will come from.

The strikers won't score goals if they're not on the park. My biggest fear for the coming season is the probability that McGlynn will use one up front rather than getting strikers into the box that may actually have an effort on goal!

19 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Imo it is clear and obvious that there is a link between the decision to give Nesbitt a 2 year deal and the lack of funds now available to sign a right back.

The manager has a limited budget (which we are told is lower than last season) so any decision to invest in one area of the squad has a knock on effect on the resources available to strengthen other areas.

So you've decided not to answer the question, therefore admitting that you have an agenda. Fair enough!

51 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Jordan Allan has plenty of goals in him we just need to have him on the park. I reckon we'll get another striker in on loan later in the window too as Oliver's more of a midfielder and Agyeman's more of a winger. 

MacIver seems to get himself into the right positions he just has to be a lot more clinical this season.

Morrison will get his share of goals again and Miller has looked threatening in the pre season games so hopefully they chip in.