The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

8k is probably more than adequate for the premiership too, with the exception of the ugly sisters.

For me there are far better things for the club to spend money on than seats that will not be required for 95% of matches.

i agree, pipe dream stuff but also we don't want the stadium looking like a hotch potch of different looking buildings, like portacabins ffs

🆕🎙️FALKIRK DAFT MEETS….SAMMY MCGIVERN

John & Ross chat over Brockville memories, Goals scored inc a famous hat-trick, Saltcoats 👀, Managers, Stainrod, Legends Stand inclusion & much more with THE Ginger God 👨🏻‍🦰

An extra day, an extra episode! 

📺 🎧📱falkirkdaft.co.uk

IMG_7749.thumb.jpeg.46306acb3b1e95f661b0910978f80150.jpeg

I agree but what 'facilities' would these actually be though?

There is already a huge unused space on the second floor of the main stand, and smaller unused space in the first floor of the north stand. 

An east stand would only offer roughly the same space as is available in the south stand, so not much.

I'm sure the club commissioned a feasibility study which looked at all the non-footballing options from a financial viewpoint and nothing was viable. We could of course find uses for these spaces such as a larger club shop, museum etc but it would be a stretch to call these 'money-making' investments. The main stand space could increase hospitality capacity/ revenue, an east stand could increase that further but what we have at the moment generally seems to be adequate.

Maybe the answer for the new stand could be some player accommodation so the club doesn't have to shell out for flats in the town?

The thing that made most sense by a mile would have been Foundation-based use such as changing facilities, offices etc but that ship has sailed with them doing their own building. I just saw councillors are meeting next week to make a decision on rending them that land 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

I feel we need to have a plan for a 4th stand for a number of reasons.

(1) It finishes the stadium, we've been there for twenty years it needs finished. It will create a better atmosphere (fill stand with free schoolkids, local groups etc when needed), less bleak, more sponsorship opportunities, attract players who want to play in a 4 sided stadium (I would), more facilities, more revenue

(2) It should generate additional revenue that we don't currently have access to. We've discussed them many times but this is one of the areas that St Johnstone do so well

(3) It should be self sustaining whatever league we are in. So at the front we have seats and/or terracing at the back/sides/corners we have the likes of a hotel, more corporate hospitality, a better media area for TV, radio, conference area, large entertainment area (eating drinking TV etc). We are perfectly positioned to attract visitors, next to the Kelpies, ever improving Helix, halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, gateway to the North, good rail and motorway links etc. We also have 5,000 souls arriving several times a month to watch football. I'd get to the game earlier if there was somewhere next to the ground we could get something decent to eat and drink. There's nothing really big and good enough at the moment which seems a crying shame. We need to be holding fans on the matchday longer like they do at the big games in England, instead of them going elsewhere

(4) Forgive the fag packet stuff here, but if it costs say £5M to build a stand/complex (with repayments at £200K pa for 30 years - £1M of interest) with holds 2000 additional fans with the money generating infrastructure behind, IF in the top league this generates 4x filled with old firm fans alone at £20 per head (not including other spend) this would generate £160K pa not including the likes of Hearts and Hibs North stand over spill. Also doesn't include naming rights for the stand, rent for businesses mentioned above, sponsorship, crowdfunding etc etc

(5) Should still work well with concerts

(6) Better flexibility around ticketing especially in top league - I remember sitting next to Rangers fans in the Main Stand, not something I want to do again. 2 stands for home fans (Main and South) so 6,000 seats and 2 stands for away (in top league) holding 4,000 seems reasonable to me. We have more fans than the likes of St Johnstone who also have a 10,000 seater.

Could go on but you get the gist. I wouldn't want to see us get into trouble financially over this but I don't see why we shouldn't have  a plan to get there at some point in the near future. Done right the additional revenues should mitigate the financial risk involved, and if we do have ambitions to compete at the upper end of Scottish football then why not?

8 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

There is already a huge unused space on the second floor of the main stand, and smaller unused space in the first floor of the north stand. 

An east stand would only offer roughly the same space as is available in the south stand, so not much.

I'm sure the club commissioned a feasibility study which looked at all the non-footballing options from a financial viewpoint and nothing was viable. We could of course find uses for these spaces such as a larger club shop, museum etc but it would be a stretch to call these 'money-making' investments. The main stand space could increase hospitality capacity/ revenue, an east stand could increase that further but what we have at the moment generally seems to be adequate.

Maybe the answer for the new stand could be some player accommodation so the club doesn't have to shell out for flats in the town?

The thing that made most sense by a mile would have been Foundation-based use such as changing facilities, offices etc but that ship has sailed with them doing their own building. I just saw councillors are meeting next week to make a decision on rending them that land 

The space in the main stand has been filled by the council I believe (it was theirs anyway) for office space now that the town hall has closed in the town. 

I didn’t know the NS had a 1st floor? I’ve only been in there once or twice but can’t recall anything bar the catering & toilets.

Just my opinion but the stadium needs finished, personally would love a terrace (or what Ayr are doing) as it would allow standing plus larger income from hospitality etc.

The club don’t take all of the money from the corporate side on a match day with the council doing the food & taking the bar takings I believe. 

It’s not an urgent job but when it can be done either by fundraising (FSS?) or through some sort of grant/sponsorship then it should be looked at. Premiership or not. 

1 minute ago, RC55 FFC said:

The space in the main stand has been filled by the council I believe (it was theirs anyway) for office space now that the town hall has closed in the town. 

I didn’t know the NS had a 1st floor? I’ve only been in there once or twice but can’t recall anything bar the catering & toilets.

Just my opinion but the stadium needs finished, personally would love a terrace (or what Ayr are doing) as it would allow standing plus larger income from hospitality etc.

The club don’t take all of the money from the corporate side on a match day with the council doing the food & taking the bar takings I believe. 

It’s not an urgent job but when it can be done either by fundraising (FSS?) or through some sort of grant/sponsorship then it should be looked at. Premiership or not. 

I agree. My opinion also. Having a stadium that never gets finished just doesn't sit right. Its been twenty years, we've grown organically over that twenty years stand wise, I think the timing is right now to plan (sensibly) for that 4th side per my post above

A 4th stand isn’t simply sunk cost or whether or not we use the seats. As others have pointed out, it’d offer more revenue raising opportunities for the club and possibly reduce overall costs of what use on site. Again, a more strategic and joined-up effort from all stakeholders - including foundation and FC - would be best. 

If we're dreaming here, I'd build something to fit the purpose. Design it from the ground up as a hospitality venue and make it a destination people want to use every day of the week. Restaurant, bar, wedding venue etc etc. Tag on a bit of terracing at the front with hospitality boxes above. 

A few others have mentioned the blue prints at Ayr and I think they are a good idea, sell pints and burgers and sort of semi hospitality season tickets for the ultras to get steaming and go out onto a wee terrace, they will love it.

I'd love to see plans that could make it a viable investment but I'm not particularly convinced things like hotels are guaranteed money spinners. To be fair until the cost of building it has paid off as long as it's not costing money it shouldn't be a problem.

There is a club ambitions thread looking at this kind of thing, this is a thought for the future in my opinion and like all clubs we need to find a way to significantly grow the fanbase and get up to the premiership to make this worth the risk. 

13 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

If we're dreaming here, I'd build something to fit the purpose. Design it from the ground up as a hospitality venue and make it a destination people want to use every day of the week. Restaurant, bar, wedding venue etc etc. Tag on a bit of terracing at the front with hospitality boxes above. 

Something like a drive thru Starbucks on the NE corner would do a hoor of trade, mon-fri.

7 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Something like a drive thru Starbucks on the NE corner would do a hoor of trade, mon-fri.

Honestly that sounds a little bit mad, but that would probably work. Stick the only Popeye's chicken outside of Glasgow on the other end and it will probably make more money than the football team. 

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

If/ when we get back to the Premiership we should make building a 4th stand a priority imo. It's been nearly 20 years since we moved to the stadium, we quite simply should look at getting it finished for nothing other than the principle of having a finished stadium.

Fund it via crowdfunding/ donations/ FFS contributions/ player sales/ whatever. You're talking in excess of £5m though, which suddenly becomes far less daunting once your TV and prize money is more than about 10p. 

The sad reality is 8k seats is plenty for the championship. Looking at the teams we'll likely be playing next season only Dunfermline will need the full away stand. If we do manage to draw over 6k home fans for a crunch game, we'll have at least half a north stand for overspill.

Pretty sure it belonged to the council as I seem to remember they transferred land ownership to the foundation as part of the planning application for the pitch

Screenshot2024-02-29at10_25_07.thumb.png.d1641af50ad8f3e4c29741f968c689b8.png

No need to mirror the existing designs therefore some innovative cost effective construction hopefully brings costs down.

Mixed standing / seating no more them 15 rows deep.

Do we need steel framing? Is it cheaper to use hardcore and  concrete the appropriate platform on top?

Whatever it is, that's well into the future. lets get out the league and establish ourselves at a higher level. 

51 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

The council took over the whole first floor of the main stand as offices a few years ago but I'm sure the second floor remains unused. Given most of them work from home now I'd be surprised if they have demand for more space

The space in the north stand isn't currently accessible and would need stairs installed like in the south stand

Something like what Ayr are doing would be ideal. I've scaled their proposal along our east side and reckon it would look great. It has around 200 hospitality seats and 550 general admission. 

Untitled-3_compressed(1).thumb.jpg.543f8f921573ed379a060f5a7e3ed9ff.jpg

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

3 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The council took over the whole first floor of the main stand as offices a few years ago but I'm sure the second floor remains unused. Given most of them work from home now I'd be surprised if they have demand for more space

The space in the north stand isn't currently accessible and would need stairs installed like in the south stand

Something like what Ayr are doing would be ideal. I've scaled their proposal along our east side and reckon it would look great. It has around 200 hospitality seats and 500 general admission. 

Untitled-3_compressed(1).thumb.jpg.543f8f921573ed379a060f5a7e3ed9ff.jpg

It’s a decent wee design and it’ll fit their stadium well, but that sort of design will look disproportionate to our 3 massive stands, as it’s only 1 storey IMG_7120.thumb.jpeg.e4849ab640a191a3931f46d340da5a4f.jpeg