The Falkirk FC Thread

49 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

So Mackie, Tait & McGinn needing game time for a medal.

(If 10 is indeed the target?)

Think it was already stated it matters not a jot. The league gives the club 20 (?) medals and it's up to us who to dish them out to. If we want more we can pay for more. 

25 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Think it was already stated it matters not a jot. The league gives the club 20 (?) medals and it's up to us who to dish them out to. If we want more we can pay for more. 

I'd missed that ta.

Dare I mention the elephant in the room?   Yes we have Morrison tied up for the next two years, but I think it is highly likely some team or other is going to snatch him from us in the close season.  We should get a decent amount for him but I doubt we'll see Callumn in a Falkirk shirt next season.  Goals talk. So savour his next few games.  He's been brilliant for us.  Might be many years until we see his like again.

Don't blame the messenger, it's the way of the world.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

3 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I agree. Every minute of every game as far as I'm aware. And for a centre half, he's barely picked up a yellow card.

Strikers win you games of football, defences win you leagues

He came off at Cove at the start of the season 

20 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Dare I mention the elephant in the room?   Yes we have Morrison tied up for the next two years, but I think it is highly likely some team or other is going to snatch him from us in the close season.  We should get a decent amount for him but I doubt we'll see Callumn in a Falkirk shirt next season.  Goals talk. So savour his next few games.  He's been brilliant for us.  Might be many years until we see his like again.

If he wasn’t going to be here next season he wouldn’t have signed a new contract IMO. I’m almost certain he’ll start the season with us as a championship player , if his form continues like this he may well move on to a higher level at some point but it won’t be this summer and the club will at least now be in a position to demand a transfer fee if he should move on in the January or following summer. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

6 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

If he wasn’t going to be here next season he wouldn’t have signed a new contract IMO. I’m almost certain he’ll start the season with us as a championship player , if his form continues like this he may well move on to a higher level at some point but it won’t be this summer and the club will at least be in a position to demand a transfer fee. 

Sorry I don't think that's true.  It was a good bit of business to get him on a new contract.  That opens up the way to get a fair bit for him, it doesn't tie him to the club at all.  Players are bought all the time who are on long contracts, it just mean the buying party has to spend more to get him.  Respectfully, it's a bit of wishfull thinking to think the best goal scorer in scotland is staying with us.  Of course, I will be over the moon if I am wrong.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

1 minute ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Sorry I don't think that's true.  It was a good bit of business to get him on a new contract.  That opens up the way to get a fair bit for him, it doesn't tie him to the club at all.  Players are bought all the time who are on long contracts, it just mean the buying party has to spend more to get him.  Respectfully, it's a bit of wishfull thinking to think the best goal scorer in scotland is staying with us.

Cheers. Kids are greeting, misery guts. 

21 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Sorry I don't think that's true.  It was a good bit of business to get him on a new contract.  That opens up the way to get a fair bit for him, it doesn't tie him to the club at all.  Players are bought all the time who are on long contracts, it just mean the buying party has to spend more to get him.  Respectfully, it's a bit of wishfull thinking to think the best goal scorer in scotland is staying with us.

Let’s see if he starts next season with us then, I’m pretty certain you’ll be proven wrong here. It would be very unusual for a player to sign a new deal then immediately move on only a few months later. Can’t think of many examples where this has has happened elsewhere in such a short space of time, normal protocol would be for the player to simply run down his contract maximising both his potential club options and earning potential, signing a new deal restricts all that. If the intention or indication was that a summer transfer was brewing any football agent would be advising they’re client to simply wait until May then flog themselves to the highest bidder completely unrestricted or hindered by the parent football club, in Callum’s case this hasn’t happened and the boy has singed a new deal at Falkirk which to me signals he intends at the very least to start next season here. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

Let’s see if he starts next season with us then, I’m prettty certain you’ll be proven wrong here. It would be very unusual for him to sign a new deal then immediately move on only a few months later. Can’t think of many examples where this has has happened elsewhere in such a short space of time, normal protocol would be for the player to simply run down his contract maximising both his potential club options and earning potential (signing a new deal restricts all that)

I would hope you are right Latapy.  He's going to be a big target during the Summer, and rightfully so.

10 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Let’s see if he starts next season with us then, I’m prettty certain you’ll be proven wrong here. It would be very unusual for a player to sign a new deal then immediately move on only a few months later. Can’t think of many examples where this has has happened elsewhere in such a short space of time, normal protocol would be for the player to simply run down his contract maximising both his potential club options and earning potential (signing a new deal restricts all that)

Callum Morrisons goal tally will be put down to him being too good for 3rd tier Scotland. That is all. The big bucks teams will need to see him doing it at a decent level before being tempted. That may come but for now in their eyes he is king of the diddies but still a hero to us loyal supporters

Edited by Bigbrbairn

8 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Respectfully, it's a bit of wishfull thinking to think the best goal scorer in scotland is staying with us.  

You're thinking solely in monetary terms and forgetting the most important factor of all - what the player wants. 

I think it's safe to say that if money were the sole priority, he would either have joined Linfield or waited until the summer before deciding his future. As there will be other clubs who can pay him far more than we do. 

He completely threw that idea out the window by committing to Falkirk. He wants to stay here for a while longer. He's already spoken publicly about his admiration for McGlynn. He comes from the area and has a young family who're settled here. He's adored by our fanbase. He's now signed three deals with Falkirk, each of which would undoubtedly see his salary rise to the point where he's probably out top earner. 

All that combined may be more than enough for him to want to stay with us for the full length of his contract, regardless of who comes knocking and what they offer. 

Sometimes, job satisfaction and a happy working environment are more important than money. 

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

You're thinking solely in monetary terms and forgetting the most important factor of all - what the player wants. 

I think it's safe to say that if money were the sole priority, he would either have joined Linfield or waited until the summer before deciding his future. As there will be other clubs who can pay him far more than we do. 

He completely threw that idea out the window by committing to Falkirk. He wants to stay here for a while longer. He's already spoken publicly about his admiration for McGlynn. He comes from the area and has a young family who're settled here. He's adored by our fanbase. He's now signed three deals with Falkirk, each of which would undoubtedly see his salary rise to the point where he's probably out top earner. 

All that combined may be more than enough for him to want to stay with us for the full length of his contract, regardless of who comes knocking and what they offer. 

Sometimes, job satisfaction and a happy working environment are more important than money. 

I hope you are right and I would be delighted to be wrong.  Most sensible players would never move to Linfield so I don't think that's a good example.  But we'll just have to wait and see.  I'm not saying Callumn is only in it for the money, but when it is your only career, he needs to think of his family first.  No-one would hold that against him.  Let's just wait and see.

10 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I hope you are right and I would be delighted to be wrong.  Most sensible players would never move to Linfield so I don't think that's a good example.  But we'll just have to wait and see.  I'm not saying Callumn is only in it for the money, but when it is your only career, he needs to think of his family first.  No-one would hold that against him.  Let's just wait and see.

If Morrison was going to go in the summer he would t have signed a new deal. He’s given all the power back to the club in regards to deciding his future and will have put off many clubs who may have taken him on a free but won’t/can’t pay a fee for him. He’ll stay so you can chill out on that one 👍🏻

The guys  had a wonderful season and if he keeps up with his great form and goals, let’s not be kidded there’s going to be a great deal of interest come the close season. If it’s straight two year deal, it’s a great bit of business by the club. But let’s not get carried away, it’s football and contracts can be manipulated for the benefits of player club and agent.

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Don't blame the messenger, it's the way of the world.

As he was out of contract in the summer, other clubs were able to talk to him and possibly sign him on a pre-contract. I'm sure they're will have been clubs sniffing around but he obviously didn't commit to any of them. I can't see why another club, who had the option to sign him for nothing, would now want to pay a substantial fee for him.

It may be the case that a club who has not shown any interest so far might want to explore the possibility of signing him, particularly if he maintains his scoring rate, but I think it unlikely.

19 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Not anything particularly reliable but heard he was interested in coming here and doing his coaching badges.

Said the same when someone mentioned Berra a few years ago, absolutely a no from me.

He's been pish for years, luckily for him as have Hibs.