The Falkirk FC Thread

On 22/06/2024 at 12:31, Lichtie78 said:

Thoughts on Layton Bisland lads?

Difficult to say 100 percent really as he never got a run in our side at any point. He did tend to struggle defensively though when he did play. Better going forward. Like most players I'd expect him to be a bit better playing every week but who knows.

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

No shots on target and one booking is frankly horrendous stats in a must win fixture.  You can write the script before the tournament. Crap in the first game. Decent in the second giving us hope then god awful in the last game when everyone is thinking we can do it and obviously fling in a dodgy referee decisions to give us something to feel hard done by. Yes Clarke takes a lot of blame but where's the passion and fight from these players who are supposed to be representing their country here. Poor poor stuff and as usual it's the punter that puts in all the effort, time and money following these guys only to be let down once again. Was exactly the same in 98 and 20.  I stopped going about 2001 and it's still the same 23 years later.

I only went as my two boys paid for me to go for my Birthday (a big one). We had a great couple of days but as you say nothing ever changes. Until things fundamentally change in the game in Scotland it will ever thus.  

17 minutes ago, BPM said:

I only went as my two boys paid for me to go for my Birthday (a big one). We had a great couple of days but as you say nothing ever changes. Until things fundamentally change in the game in Scotland it will ever thus.  

Happy birthday ya big ride.

1 hour ago, BPM said:

I often hear the comment "We`re only a wee country, we can`t be expected to do any better". However, when you look at Denmark with an almost identical population size to Scotland`s, Switzerland with slightly more and Croatia with slightly less. All these teams consistently outperform us at International level. 

We all know what's coming next though, don't we? They will have a post-mortem and decide that:

1) We need to have B teams playing in the actual Scottish League system, right up to the Championship, not in the Lowland League. That will make us world beaters.

2) We should only have a top league of 10 teams. 1 up, 1 down. That will make us more competitive.

3) Every club in Scotland has to play on grass.

Wait and see.

14 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We all know what's coming next though, don't we? They will have a post-mortem and decide that:

1) We need to have B teams playing in the actual Scottish League system, right up to the Championship, not in the Lowland League. That will make us world beaters.

2) We should only have a top league of 10 teams. 1 up, 1 down. That will make us more competitive.

Wait and see.

Yep you can see it coming a mile away. Though point 3 can easily be argued with the condition of the pitch in the Denmark v England game

Just now, Bairn in Exile said:

Wait and see.

Basically what I was going to post. I’m sure that the postmortem will conclude that the arse cheeks and the big two in Edinburgh who’ve scooped up the best young talent, are being hindered by the current set up and need to get their B teams in the main leagues. Forgetting the millions they spend on players that are not worth a Fck. Two tic players in the starting line up, just about sums it up.

The minute they Fck off and Scottish football is restructured, maybe then we’ll see an emerging talent of young Scot’s. Under the current structure we’ll never get near a Denmark/Croatia etc. 

9 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Wait and see.

Wouldn`t bet against any of that. In fact, for me your second point (when it was introduced in the mid 70`s) was one of the main reasons for the start of our decline in producing quality players that we had so many of in the previous decades. The argument was that the 18 team set-up produced too many meaningless mid table games. What it also did though was allow Managers to blood youngsters, something that was curtailed drastically when the cut-throat 10 team system came into being. There were more factors than that involved obviously but it played a big part. We had the quality players back in the 60`s/70`s but we lacked the organisation of the top teams...we are better organised now (arguably) but the quality has dropped off a cliff.

6 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Anyway back to the real stuff now, can we expect any additions to the squad given the vast fortunes we have been pumping into the club over the close season

Budget is spent according to what McGlynn was saying in the Herald. Unless the BoD can find more funds. I spose if we can shift Jordan Allan that might free up a wage to bring another body in and there's always the loan market.

1 hour ago, 60`s bairn said:

Wouldn`t bet against any of that. In fact, for me your second point (when it was introduced in the mid 70`s) was one of the main reasons for the start of our decline in producing quality players that we had so many of in the previous decades. The argument was that the 18 team set-up produced too many meaningless mid table games. What it also did though was allow Managers to blood youngsters, something that was curtailed drastically when the cut-throat 10 team system came into being. There were more factors than that involved obviously but it played a big part. We had the quality players back in the 60`s/70`s but we lacked the organisation of the top teams...we are better organised now (arguably) but the quality has dropped off a cliff.

Exactly this. TV now dictates 4 OF games too and the Wee 10 want their scraps from more than two visits and keeping their wee paws on TV and Euro solidarity cash. The smaller picture will always prevail. 

a donkey will never teach a racehorse how to be a racehorse, likewise a racehorse won't teach a donkey how to be a racehorse. 

until we have racehorses led by a racehorse then the best Scotland will be is a world class donkey led by a world class donkey.

think about it...!

Problem is most young players in Scotland dream of playong for the arse cheeks. They view that as  the top of their ambition.. Most grow up in families affiliated to one of them. When they do sign they dont progress as the arse cheeks sign overseas talent and bypass youth so they never get that chance. Crazy

2 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Problem is most young players in Scotland dream of playong for the arse cheeks. They view that as  the top of their ambition.. Most grow up in families affiliated to one of them. When they do sign they dont progress as the arse cheeks sign overseas talent and bypass youth so they never get that chance. Crazy

There is a bit of that but also they hoover up all the young kids and hope they get a star, the of’s youth teams shell out £3m a year in salaries.

I do think the 80/90’s version of the 3 foreigners rule needs to be found cause buying cheap imports to sell for a profit is going to only go 1 way.

3 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

The provincial clubs used to be the feed into the professional game. Players blooded young with old proffessionals to bring them on. Then by the time they are in their early 20's they have had 100+ games & 2 - 3 seasons of competitive football to bring them on. They would learn a lot more than any amount of reserve / bounce games. Here are some names that went through that route. Jordan - Morton. Gemmill and McQueen - StMirren. Kennedy and Gillespie - Falkirk. Baxter - Raith Rovers. Cooper - Clydebank. Johnson and Hansen - Partick Thistle to name but a few. If these teams had not given these stars that experience, would we even have heard of them? Doubt it. Which begs the question - How many potential Scotland greats have slipped through the system since the arse cheeks engineered to SPL. Signing foreign jobbing professionals and killing off that production line that kept so many of the small clubs viable as the money syphoned the leagues. 

2 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

That black kit is not nice.  The others are fine.

Must be a generation thing, I agree with you and prefer the purple/lilac kit but my 8 year old son prefers the black one 😃