The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Who has been Duffy's assistant through the years? Usually they have someone they go to.

Hadji was his assistant at the Ton am pretty sure his name was in the frame before Hartley got announced last time or was an option at least.

Duffy had a midtable Championship budget when we got back up this level, made it work for two seasons, had it slightly increased last season to sustain a play off challenge and failed miserably in the end. It's by no means a disastrous record but people need to stop listening to his parade of fluffers in the media who think that he was working miracles on a shoestring budget. 

Duffy's main strength is coaching young players - usually centre halves - with some potential in them but there dosn't seem to be much of that in the parade of jobbers brought in at Falkirk. I wouldn't fancy his chances of doing well. 

It might be and idea to appoint a Director of Football Operations and a Head Coach. Separate the business of player signings and contracts from the day to day coaching and picking the team.  Bri ish football is quite unique in have one person responsible for all.

From what I understand, Gordon Young is an excellent coach. Jim and another experienced head coach might be a good shout.

We had a technical director in Alex Smith who had a wealth of knowledge and experience. Perhaps a similar appointment might be the panacea.

31 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I know Kerr has a long history with you guys but he's a mainstay of our midfield at the moment and I get the impression he's in no hurry to retire from playing, If you guys want him and more importantly he wants to go you would need to pay a fee for him as a player the window also shuts tomorrow, the only other option is he retires to move as manager or assistant and then we would need to release him or you guys buy him out, I really don't see any of these scenarios happening.

If he retires as a player to take an assistant job elsewhere you wouldnt "need" to release him and they wouldnt have to buy him. He just stops turning up as a player and would be in breach of contract entitling you to sack him and cancel it or continue with his registration whilst fining him his full wage. You cant stop him taking a non playing job with another employer whether a football club or not.

Not saying any of that would happen. Far more likely the clubs would come to an agreement but the notion that you could prevent it is nonsense.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

31 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I know Kerr has a long history with you guys but he's a mainstay of our midfield at the moment and I get the impression he's in no hurry to retire from playing, If you guys want him and more importantly he wants to go you would need to pay a fee for him as a player the window also shuts tomorrow, the only other option is he retires to move as manager or assistant and then we would need to release him or you guys buy him out, I really don't see any of these scenarios happening.

And we know there is no clause in his contract releasing him to be a manager or asst manager elsewhere as he isnt getting any younger

Don’t see Kerr retiring yet. Not while he’s playing so well for us and is probably our best midfielder.

If there had been any obvious signs of deterioration or him not playing then I could see it but I think he’ll continue with for a wee while yet.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If he retires as a player to take an assistant job elsewhere you wouldnt "need" to release him and they wouldnt have to buy him. He just stops turning up as a player and would be in breach of contract entitling you to sack him and cancel it or continue with his registration whilst fining him his full wage. You cant stop him taking a non playing job with another employer whether a football club or not.

If he were to break his contract and sign with Falkirk then the SPFL could ban Falkirk from signing anyone for two windows on grounds of inducement. It doesn't matter that he'd have broken his contract to become a member of the non-playing staff, only that Falkirk had induced him to break his playing contract.

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Along the lines of.

We have had X amount of applications and are working on a short list / The job will be advertised / We have a candidate in mind and working towards an appointment soon /  We don't have a clue what to do  any ideas ? 

All of which really tells us f**k all. 

38 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I was actually chatting to Kerr at the open day on Sunday - he was absolutely scathing about Hartley and predicted he would be binned very soon. Said all the players hated him, even some of the new guys already. I just assumed it was sour grapes against the guy that freed him.  He also said McCall was  "a f**king mental case, but brilliant to play under" or something along those lines. 

Interestingly enough he was showing me and my wee boy the home dressinf rooms and pointing out how having your own action pic and a storage box under your bench in the changing room is a luxury at Ayr, and you have to do everything else yourself, compared to Falkirk where everything is given to you on a plate and players don't have to lift a finger.   

I was actually chatting to Kerr at the open day on Sunday - he was absolutely scathing about Hartley and predicted he would be binned very soon. Said all the players hated him, even some of the new guys already. I just assumed it was sour grapes against the guy that freed him.  He also said McCall was  "a f**king mental case, but brilliant to play under" or something along those lines. 
Interestingly enough he was showing me and my wee boy the home dressinf rooms and pointing out how having your own action pic and a storage box under your bench in the changing room is a luxury at Ayr, and you have to do everything else yourself, compared to Falkirk where everything is given to you on a plate and players don't have to lift a finger.   
They must have taken the not lifting a finger mantra onto the park as well !!!

Forget appointing a Scottish tried and tested championship jobber. The club needs to get this right. Take time to get in a new exciting young manager with the proven qualities to take us up. If what Kerr said is true about the players despising the wee tramp then just maybe someone skilled can turn this disaster around. I'd rather have an untried Alex Taylor then Duffy!

7 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Forget appointing a Scottish tried and tested championship jobber. The club needs to get this right. Take time to get in a new exciting young manager with the proven qualities to take us up. If what Kerr said is true about the players despising the wee tramp then just maybe someone skilled can turn this disaster around. I'd rather have an untried Alex Taylor then Duffy!

I'd rather have Alex Higgins than Duffy. 

If he were to break his contract and sign with Falkirk then the SPFL could ban Falkirk from signing anyone for two windows on grounds of inducement. It doesn't matter that he'd have broken his contract to become a member of the non-playing staff, only that Falkirk had induced him to break his playing contract.

Easy Tonto.

33 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Hmmm.

You may not have heard of Shane Supple. He was a goalie at Ipswich Town who we got on loan while in the SPL. He got so sick of the money and entitlement down in England that he actually quit and went back to Ireland to join the Gardai.

He gave a very interesting interview soon afterwards where he said he loved his time at Falkirk because players were not spoilt! Even down to bringing in their own pieces etc. So I doubt after several years down a league we have turned into something you might see a documentary on Amazon Prime about.