The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It happens. Krasniqi will forever be an enigma. In the flashes we saw of him, he looked comfortably better than what we had, yet Sheerin was utterly scathing of the boy, and said he was “miles away” from being a first team player.

I still wonder if he had been given Hetherington’s berth for a few games if he could have made a difference.

Aye that was a puzzle. Maybe he's one of those players that are pish in training but can do it on a Saturday. The very opposite of what most of the rest of them are it seems.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye that was a puzzle. Maybe he's one of those players that are pish in training but can do it on a Saturday. The very opposite of what most of the rest of them are it seems.

As I said earlier, at training, it’s Falkirk players versus Falkirk players, so of the course of the week, everyone has a wee go at being stellar. It’s when they play against other team’s players that they all look gash.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

It'll get paired up with this made up injury to justify the signing. "He was carrying a knock" etc etc

Every player Rennie signed injured = we'd have been class if they'd all stayed fit. You can spot it a mile off.

So the director that I spoke to at the meeting on Saturday was lying when he told me of Griffith's injury then?

23 minutes ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

I've said it already but while we need an absolute cull of arguably the worst squad of the last 50 years, we also need new dynamic leadership in the boardroom. 

Someone(s) to make us believe there is a way out of our sleepwalk to oblivion. 

The Rawlins seem to have changed little. What was their motivation? If it was taking a punt on the basis that we could quickly return to the top tier and share values would rocket , then that gamble has failed miserably. 

We need energy, loyalty, a determination to succeed from those custodians at the top. Ritchie, Alexander and all the other cohorts already gone oversaw the carnage. 

Surely to God, there must be competent entrepreneurs and successful businessmen out there capable of better... and who won't judge success purely on spreadsheets and fancy graphs. 

During the boardroom shenanigans in the 80s and 90s, there always seemed to be rumoured investors sitting in the shadows. Where are they today? Are we that much a basket case that you'd be a lunatic to even think of getting involved? 

For a club located in the industrial hub of the nation, we really have under achieved. 

Moffat and Allan took over in similar circumstances namely a club in decline. 

So if your looking for a template of  the type  of individuals required you could  do a  lot  worse than these two.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

It'll get paired up with this made up injury to justify the signing. "He was carrying a knock" etc etc

Every player Rennie signed injured = we'd have been class if they'd all stayed fit. You can spot it a mile off.

Spot on.

The mental gymnastics some folk will go through just to avoid admitting they were hopelessly wrong about Rennie and Griffiths is infuriating.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

I've said it already but while we need an absolute cull of arguably the worst squad of the last 50 years, we also need new dynamic leadership in the boardroom. 

Someone(s) to make us believe there is a way out of our sleepwalk to oblivion. 

The Rawlins seem to have changed little. What was their motivation? If it was taking a punt on the basis that we could quickly return to the top tier and share values would rocket , then that gamble has failed miserably. 

We need energy, loyalty, a determination to succeed from those custodians at the top. Ritchie, Alexander and all the other cohorts already gone oversaw the carnage. 

Surely to God, there must be competent entrepreneurs and successful businessmen out there capable of better... and who won't judge success purely on spreadsheets and fancy graphs. 

During the boardroom shenanigans in the 80s and 90s, there always seemed to be rumoured investors sitting in the shadows. Where are they today? Are we that much a basket case that you'd be a lunatic to even think of getting involved? 

For a club located in the industrial hub of the nation, we really have under achieved. 

Not sure about the Rawlins motivation as shares have been and will continue to be diluted. Also the price is only dictated by who wants to buy them and that would now take quite a lot of money to gain a controlling stake.

I definitely agree that the club needs leadership though, either from our CEO or for someone to be appointed Chairman. We hopefully have rid ourselves of the Gary Deans type, arrogant egotists who are only in it for themselves however that doesn’t mean that we should desist from a leader. Democracy is all well and good but design by committee is never often much of a success.

If Rennie is to remain then looking from the outside, it’s a huge gamble. It could be a masterstroke but if that is to be the decision then someone has to publicly back it, sell it to us and be responsible if it doesn’t work out. Likewise they should be praised if it does indeed turn out to be a great move.

The club desperately needs leadership. 

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Spot on.

The mental gymnastics some folk will go through just to avoid admitting they were hopelessly wrong about Rennie and Griffiths is infuriating.

Caused by the pitch...the old board never changed the pitch...

Can anyone give an honest assessment of Leon McCanns performance this season? Was gutted when he went to Falkirk… felt at that time like he was part of an up and coming Airdrie team that was going from strength to strength.  So now I’m not sure if Falkirk has soured his footballing drive or if he is maybe still showing signs of excellent ability like he did last season. Your results are poor, he’s obviously not performing but genuinely interested to know thoughts 

7 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Can anyone give an honest assessment of Leon McCanns performance this season? Was gutted when he went to Falkirk… felt at that time like he was part of an up and coming Airdrie team that was going from strength to strength.  So now I’m not sure if Falkirk has soured his footballing drive or if he is maybe still showing signs of excellent ability like he did last season. Your results are poor, he’s obviously not performing but genuinely interested to know thoughts 

Very hard to say. In a dominant side where he can get forward and support the attack, he would I think, be great. His defensive deficiencies are well enough documented. He has been the one to suffer most from MRs endless shuffling with his back line.

Not surprisingly, MR became obsessed with conceding fewer goals, and having not addressed our woeful midfield, McCann being “great going forward, not so great defending” he was the one who was sacrificed and was (kind off) replaced by McGuffie.

He could rightly be jacked off seeing Jamie Wilson getting on the park ahead of him (regardless of position).

I quite like McCann which is something I really can’t say about for the vast majority of our squad and our manager doesn’t seem to rate him either so that points towards him being a decent player.

He had a very slow and sluggish start to the season potentially down to him having Covid in the summer but felt when he started to find his feet about October time he was parking quite well. Defensively he needs to improve he needs to get tighter to his man, stop leaving so much space in behind and stop letting the cross into the box (though he’s far better than our other full back). He’s a real threat going forward though quite pacey, decent enough stamina to get up and down and loves putting balls into the box. He’s also deceptively decent in the air. Even though he’s 5’7 or whatever he never really gets dominated in the air.

He’s on a very, very short list of players that I’d actually like to see us keep and play next season. Pretty much just him, Dowds and Watson tbh.

53 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

If Rennie is to remain then looking from the outside, it’s a huge gamble. It could be a masterstroke but if that is to be the decision then someone has to publicly back it, sell it to us and be responsible if it doesn’t work out. Likewise they should be praised if it does indeed turn out to be a great move.

If they go for MR, then he is going to have to achieve a turnaround on a scale he has never encountered before. He will be an unpopular choice, and he won’t have to build a team, he will have to dismantle a squad and then build a team in around three months.

If he doesn’t get off to a flier, he will pretty much be dead in the water (as will the club).

50 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

He's a very good player who isn't appreciated by the Head Coach. He's better offensively than defensively but he's still the best defensive left back at the club.

We are utterly pish as a team; take Griffiths for example, he's fucked but if he's going to play he needs service. McCann could certainly help with that but the manager refuses to play him. Bewildering to me.

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

I've only been to two games this season but one of them was Alloa away where I was sat right in front of mccann. I've mentioned this to another posters question before but I thought he had a really good game that night. Never gave possession away, good control and passing and always available for the ball. I'm surprised he hasn't featured more in a spectacularly under performing team. Like Russ said earlier, one of the few I'd keep with Watson and Dowds.

As Hetherington was to Sheerin, McGuffie is to MR. I think they are as intransigent as one another.

Actually, in direct comparison to Ryan Williamson on the right side, McCann is for me, the more complete and competent player. McCann is significantly better going forward, and is probably better defensively too.

Ryan Williamson plays every week. McCann doesn’t.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Guest Ecosse83
46 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If they go for MR, then he is going to have to achieve a turnaround on a scale he has never encountered before. He will be an unpopular choice, and he won’t have to build a team, he will have to dismantle a squad and then build a team in around three months.

If he doesn’t get off to a flier, he will pretty much be dead in the water (as will the club).

He won’t even get that far for me, if they appoint him then I’d just be that scunnered I don’t think I could return. They might get lucky but all the signs are pointing to it being a ludicrous appointment for next season 

Edited by Ecosse83

32 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

He won’t even get that far for me, if they appoint him then I’d just be that scunnered I don’t think I could return. They might get lucky but all the signs are pointing to it being a ludicrous appointment for next season 

I hope the FSS canvass us on our opinion on whether he should be retained, just as they did on the signing of Goodwillie.

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I hope the FSS canvass us on our opinion on whether he should be retained, just as they did on the signing of Goodwillie.

If the FSS don’t know the overwhelming feelings of the supporters, with all respect they can stick any canvas where the sun don’t shine

I know the pattern of our decline can be traced back for over 10 years, but there has been many missed opportunities and critical junctures along the way. Despite the mess we made of last season, if we'd appointed a decent manager in the summer and recruited properly, this season would have been the one to challenge. The quality of the league this year is remarkably low. The fact we are 5th is weird; in many ways it is indicative of both how fucking terrible we are in comparison to the teams we should be challenging. However, it also demonstrates the lack of quality of the league holistically, given how rancid we are, yet we've pretty much sat 5th all season. Next season you'll potentially have Queens, Dunfermline and Kelty in the mix. Instead, we appointed a glorified under-12s coach and allowed that charlatan Holt to recruit. It is genuinely fucking criminal.

4 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Whether it is Rennie or anyone else they are going to have to dismantle that squad and completely rebuild it. The absolute dross in there is going to cost to offload too. 
Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves on.