The Falkirk FC Thread

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv just read some of the Discord channel for thr Falkirk Daft podcast..... and..... Holy f**k 🤣🤣🤣

Some of the takes on there are absolute beauties. 

It's an absolute shit tip full of happy clappers galore. 

39 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

When McGlynn grasps for excuses citing the fans wanting 2 strikers (no we didn’t), and getting nothing from the officials, while saying “shape and formation has nothing to do with it”, then you know you are watching a manager who has run out of road, and has abandoned populist chit chat in favour of spouting something the Board might buy into in order to keep his job.

This is what McGlynn is good at.....blaming everyone else for his very obvious shortcomings.  I am glad he is your manager, and no longer ours......
Most over rated manager ever.

Just now, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I hear a lot of “1%” chance of success on Saturday, I wonder what the percentage actually is if such a statistical equation exists (like what they do in test cricket when they show percentages of win, lose or draw between both sides as the game goes on/draws to a close).

No statistician could account for the intangibles of the way we set about that first half. It was almost I possibly shite. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

How they want to sell that to the support base is going to be something to behold. In truth, I don’t think they can successfully do that. “A manager with one L2 title win 14 years ago, and about half a dozen play off failures is still our man going forward.” That’s a seriously hard sell to make.

I'm not convinced they have to sell anything though. That's my point. However big a laughing stock we are on the pitch - or, until fairly recently, off - fans continue to turn up in very consistent, respectable numbers. Season after season. What would it take to change that? I've no idea. Relegation down another level?! The club has - or certainly appears to have - pretty much a captive audience. So if McGlynn is still in charge going into next season, would that result in a few season ticket holders deciding to chuck it? Maybe. But hundreds, or certainly enough to have a real financial impact? I just don't think so.

There are some very sound football reasons for deciding to twist as far as the managerial position is concerned - you could start and end with that abomination last night. I just don't buy the "we need to empty him or season ticket sales will fall off a cliff" argument. Because, on all available evidence, they won't

57 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

I’m quite looking forward to Saturday. I can’t enjoy summer until I’ve spent the afternoon launching torrents of vile abuse at the players/management/club. It’s an annual tradition now.

It's the Falkirk way! 😄

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

He completely, accidentally had his boot at head height? 

IMG-20230510-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c6a43b2caae299e7cf9f5fd6b45138db.jpg

That's not a red?! You're at it. 

He's trying to kick the ball. He has no idea where the goalie is. Are you trying to say he was deliberately kicking him?  It was no different to the Jota one recently where a yellow was quite rightly given and var backed that up ll. Accidental high feet no mallice whatsoever.

10 minutes ago, AGPar said:

I'm not convinced they have to sell anything though. That's my point. However big a laughing stock we are on the pitch - or, until fairly recently, off - fans continue to turn up in very consistent, respectable numbers. Season after season. What would it take to change that? I've no idea. Relegation down another level?! The club has - or certainly appears to have - pretty much a captive audience. So if McGlynn is still in charge going into next season, would that result in a few season ticket holders deciding to chuck it? Maybe. But hundreds, or certainly enough to have a real financial impact? I just don't think so.

There are some very sound football reasons for deciding to twist as far as the managerial position is concerned - you could start and end with that abomination last night. I just don't buy the "we need to empty him or season ticket sales will fall off a cliff" argument. Because, on all available evidence, they won't

This.

18 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I hear a lot of “1%” chance of success on Saturday, I wonder what the percentage actually is if such a statistical equation exists (like what they do in test cricket when they show percentages of win, lose or draw between both sides as the game goes on/draws to a close).

The Duckworth-Lewis method for football. How does one evaluate such imponderables as...

A team is 4 goals down, but playing at home. They finished above their rivals, but have been on a poor run. They have invested significantly in the squad, and have several decent players, but the manager has forgotten how to win football matches and many of said squad are utterly gutless.

5-0 Bairns 0.01%

3-0 Bairns 4%

2-1 Bairns 28%

2-6 Airdrie 9% and so on.

Continued existence in the miserable hellhole of a blasted wasteland of desolation that is League 1...99.99%

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

21 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The Duckworth-Lewis method for football. How does one evaluate such imponderables as...

A team is 4 goals down, but playing at home. They finished above their rivals, but have been on a poor run. They have invested significantly in the squad, and have several decent players, but the manager has forgotten how to win football matches and many of said squad are utterly gutless.

5-0 Bairns 0.01%

3-0 Bairns 4%

2-1 Bairns 28%

2-6 Airdrie 9% and so on.

Continued existence in the miserable hellhole of a blasted wasteland of desolation that is League 1...99.99%

As amusing as all that is, McBookie seem to be the only place offering offs on Falkirk to go through and it's a 33/1 shot, so just a smudge over 3%. Worth a round pound of a bet, but not sure it's worth a £18 match ticket or whatever you are charging.

That is the first time I have had a sleepless night and had nightmares over a Falkirk game replaying in my sleep

If someone sees Williamson tell him I can swing by the stadium I'll gladly drop the Cnut off at Montrose

Kinnear was an accident waiting to happen and cost us too many goals (he should have brought PJ back 4-5 games ago)

gutted with last night, I don't think I could even stomach watching Saturday its like paying money to go to see a film you already know the ending to why bother

25 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Nothing to lose but to go all out 2 - 5 - 3 and play an old fashion 100-mile hour cup tie.

Pissing about for the first 15 minutes settling into the game is pointless

I’m torn on McGlynn, overall I think he’s just a decent enough job all things considered. However last nights result alone is enough to be sacked in my opinion. 

Granted Dunfermline this season were absolutely relentless… however our own points tally of 67 wouldn’t have been enough to win League one the past few full seasons anyway. (Cove 79, Arbroath 70, Ayr 76, Livingston 81)

Anyone think he’ll actually be binned? 🤔

Edited by BooBairn

35 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Paddy Power have “Falkirk to win by 4 or more goals” at 19/1 (slight >5% chance)

This overstates the probability of us going through because there’s a chance we win by exactly 4 and then lose in ET/Pens

Historically about 2/3 of matches that are won by at least 4 goals are won by EXACTLY 4 goals, and the remaining 1/3 are won by 5+ goals.

5% / 3 = 1.67% (chance of winning it in 90 minutes)

If we make the slightly crude assumption that both teams are equally likely to go through if it does to ET, that gives us a further 1.67% chance in ET

So the rough percentages are as follows:

Airdrie through in 90 minutes - 95%
Airdrie through after ET/Pens - 1.67%
Falkirk through in 90 minutes - 1.67%
Falkirk through after ET/Pens - 1.67%