The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Why an automatic no to Paul? Ricey eventually became his own man. What’s Paul’s reputation? Is he more of a cones guy or more to offer?

No real reason t.b.h.   Just would like an established forward thinking manager who has the ability to change things when needed, etc.   Happy for Paul to stay as no. 2 though !   

7 minutes ago, Onthegoalline1876 said:

No real reason t.b.h.   Just would like an established forward thinking manager who has the ability to change things when needed, etc.   Happy for Paul to stay as no. 2 though !   

Nah get them both gone, they’re a management team and equally as culpable in my opinion. If we are to get a fresh start it needs to be a manager bringing in his own assistant.

Just now, brokeville said:

Quite simply the reason we’re stuck in this division is because we have failed to find a decent striker. Until we find a 20+ a season striker we’re stuck. The board needs to show some ambition and find the finance for it. 

And a leader in defence 

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

Nah get them both gone, they’re a management team and equally as culpable in my opinion. If we are to get a fresh start it needs to be a manager bringing in his own assistant.

Yep that makes sense Trump.   Was really saying Paul to stay as no. 2 re the initial question about why not him ?   Surely somewhere there is someone who will be the right appointment for us !!

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Tbf it didn’t turn sour very quickly. We were on track to have one of our best and most enjoyable seasons in 6/7 years, from our lowest point ever. Last night is very hard to come back from though. 

Even this I feel is a bit rose-tinted though - not having a go, I think we all did it. The first third of the season was very up, down and inconsistent. We hit a good run of form in the middle of the year, where we basically matched Dunfermline point for point for 9 or 10 games, before being swatted aside at East End Park. But last night wasn’t a massive shock if we’re being honest with ourselves (the number of goals conceded was, perhaps). We’ve been absolutely humming for weeks.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

I think the spine of our team is weak. I would like to see a more experienced keeper, an older head CH and a right dirty b*****d in centre mid and an experienced striker like a Burrell or Alan could play off/with. I suppose all clubs want that though.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

9 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Far from oneupmanship, I find it quite sad they can only half-fill a stand for such a big game. Is it the lure of being so close to the Old Firm? I don’t know but it’s not our look-out. 

It may not be your look-out today, maybe not tomorrow, but once you’ve been in the seaside league as long as Airdrie (and been as piss-poor in the park, which at least you’ve given a good go at without actually getting there) it may be your look-out the day after next. I gave up for the best part of a decade before returning to the fold but I expect not many return after a break.

20 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think it’s 5 times- Bankies, QotS, Ayr twice and Thistle. If you do take him on and he gets you up, remember to sack him immediately if you have ambitions beyond the Championship 

He never got us promoted.

40 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Quite simply the reason we’re stuck in this division is because we have failed to find a decent striker. Until we find a 20+ a season striker we’re stuck. The board needs to show some ambition and find the finance for it. 

It's pretty rare for the league winners to have a 20+ goals a season striker that fires them to a title. Last time was Shankland at Ayr, and the only other time in the last decade (couldn't be bothered going back any further) was El Bakhataoui. Bobby Linn managed it at Arbroath but you wouldn't describe him as a typical striker.

And if you lose in the play-offs it wasn't because of strikers. Our goals last night were from from 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and Callum Smith who had 11 goals before last night. Infact it was everything but the striking department that beat you last night (on both sides).

You are probably right in that a 20 goal a season striker would cover up deficiencies in the team, but it's a stretch to say that's what cost you. Dunfermline's top scorer only had 16 goals.

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's pretty rare for the league winners to have a 20+ goals a season striker that fires them to a title. Last time was Shankland at Ayr, and the only other time in the last decade (couldn't be bothered going back any further) was El Bakhataoui. Bobby Linn managed it at Arbroath but you wouldn't describe him as a typical striker.

And if you lose in the play-offs it wasn't because of strikers. Our goals last night were from from 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and Callum Smith who had 11 goals before last night. Infact it was everything but the striking department that beat you last night (on both sides).

You are probably right in that a 20 goal a season striker would cover up deficiencies in the team, but it's a stretch to say that's what cost you. Dunfermline's top scorer only had 16 goals.

Doesn't have to be 20 goals but a good striker that scores goals regularly makes a huge difference.  Cove had one, Partick had one, queen's park had one  and Dunfermline have one.  Raith had   gullan for the first half of the season who fitted that bill back then. 

33 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think the spine of our team is weak. I would like to see a more experienced keeper, an older head CH and a right dirty b*****d in centre mid and an experienced striker like a Burrell or Alan could play off/with. I suppose all clubs want that though.

Definitely. Likes of coll would be fine with a leader at the back beside him. Someone like considine at st Johnstone if he was to get freed although probably want to stay in that north east area mind you but someone of that ilk.

39 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

It may not be your look-out today, maybe not tomorrow, but once you’ve been in the seaside league as long as Airdrie (and been as piss-poor in the park, which at least you’ve given a good go at without actually getting there) it may be your look-out the day after next. I gave up for the best part of a decade before returning to the fold but I expect not many return after a break.

Oh no, to make it clear, I am aware we’re looking at an Airdrie-esque scenario square in the face now except with a support that holds up (no dig intended there). 

Oh no, Hamilton are down, they will be too strong next season.

Oh no, Queen of the South have assembled a decent squad, maybe next season

Club such and such have had heavy investment…..

And so on and so on……

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

41 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

Also, I can see a very lengthy break coming for myself soon enough. Other things in life to get my teeth into. I’ll always look out for the result come what may, but it’s definitely on my radar.

For me, what we need is a band of brothers mentality. McGlynn has gone about amassing a collection of individuals, but with absolutely no team spirit, no common cause. Defence has nothing to do with midfield which has little to do with whoever is up front.

Then, he decides to take his tinkering to a whole new level in the most important game of the season. He is waaaay beyond his “best before” date. If they choose to stand by McGlynn, there is going to be a hell of a price to pay, and McGlynn will be getting his excuses ready as to why Hamilton/Cove/Airdrie/QotS have a head start on him. I just cannot see how he can survive this. Even a 5-0 on Saturday (haha) would have us in the Championship with a dud at the helm. Unthinkable.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I see Gary Bowyer has been punted at Dundee. Would he come here? 

You don’t want to go near him mate.