Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Cue general outrage from St. Johnstone supporters on social media.

In reality, Brad is a below-par defender. The timing is a bit of a shame. He had looked marginally better during the last few matches and made a wee breakthrough of sorts. Having said that, I won't lose any sleep over this.

32 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Jeezo he's been made out on Facebook as an absolute baller by our moronic support. He's shite.

There's evidence of that, though he's been judged pretty unforgivingly. If Steven Anderson had been held to similar standards, he'd have been out the door ten years ago. And more to the point, what did Tommy see in him before he signed that's suddenly not worth pursuing after a handful of games for Saints?

What it certainly points to is an inconsistent strategy. One reason McKay was brought in was to bring the average age of the team down. Now he's been directly replaced by a player in his thirties. Maybe a one-off, but it's an odd mirror of the midfield situation, where a good performer (Paddy Cregg) was dumped two years ago to make way for young blood (Brown), who was in turn replaced by a midfielder who'll be 30 before the end of the season.

Edited by Mr Heliums

The one time I seen McKay play this season in the second half against hearts, as a defender he was all over the shop (IMO). Not doubting that he would get more goals than most defenders but first and foremost he's judged on his ability to defend and I was never convinced. Granted I don't know what's going on behind the scenes and whether there's more to this than face value but in footballing terms I'm not fussed he's gone. We just need our first choice back 4 fit and he wouldn't even make the bench.

I always felt Brad needed to be playing regularly alongside an experienced centre half that will talk him through the game. He never got that at Hearts due to our Administration event and hasn't been able to force his way into the Saints team unfortunately. Shame as I think he'd be a decent player at Premiership level.......eventually.

4 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

He's not a centre back. Move him forward into midfield and you might have a player.

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Brad McKay in midfield? :blink:

I'm with PA on this one! :blink:

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Technique mainly in my opinion.

Thanks. I felt he had potentially had more technique than defensive ability so could be worth trying to develope as a defensive midfielder. If he's so lacking in both then there's no hope.