Done once, never again

On 16/11/2020 at 13:34, Hammer Jag said:

2) Long distance travel by Megabus

This is a good one. Off to Buchanan Street at three in the morning. Sat at the back for nine hours next to a toilet door that wouldn't close properly. Slept for about ten minutes. A horrific experience all round, really.

On 16/11/2020 at 13:21, DAFC. said:

Munro hillwalking. No idea how people find that rewarding. 

Not sure if you mean hillwalking in general, but the most boring hills I’ve ever spent a day walking up with friends are boring featureless large mounds which most (even ‘serious’) walkers wouldn’t bother with if they were only 2999ft high.  At least they reduce the traffic on some of the better Corbetts like Foinaven though.

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is a good one. Off to Buchanan Street at three in the morning. Sat at the back for nine hours next to a toilet door that wouldn't close properly. Slept for about ten minutes. A horrific experience all round, really.

Similarly, the No10 bus from Aberdeen to Inverness.  4-5 hours for a trip that’s only a 2.5 hr drive.  Train every time now even though it’s considerably more expensive.

Also the Caledonian Sleeper.  Crap sleep, soggy bacon roll in a condensate filled plastic bag and shite showers at Euston... and that was first class.  Red eye flight down to Heathrow far more preferable.

Ferry to Shetland also.  45 min flight to Sumburgh well worth the extra money.

Edited by Hedgecutter

10 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Disagree about the sleeper. I've used it 3 times, never in a cabin but I've always been able to crash out on the bench seating. Easily amongst my top 10 lifetime sleeps. 

I tried the sleeper from the south west before, which required joining the actual sleeper at Preston, with an hour's wait after midnight for the change. The only other person in the station was a very drunk old tramp with a patch of fresh jizz on his coat who kept following me despite being asked politely not to. Never again. 

I got the bus to Italy for the World Cup (and back). Stayed in Cattolica, about a 10 hour journey to the games. I also went to Prague in 1992 by bus.

I don't like buses anymore.

I know a short sighted man who picked up the wrong tube and brushed his teeth with Ralgex.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

The most sleep I've ever managed in sleeper class (Europe not Caledonian) is about an hour. Movement and sleep do not combine for me at all. Which made 50 hours on Amtrak from Chicago to San Francisco with a recliner seat a tiring experience but still well worth it. 

Swim the width of the Nile river at Luxor. Was told their would be no crocodiles because of the net that catches them at Aswan. 

Took me 30-45 minutes and after I did the swim through oil slicks and used sanitary products I was told by someone else that the net catches the larger ones but not the baby ones that get through and grow into adult crocodiles 🐊😟

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Swim the width of the Nile river at Luxor. Was told their would be no crocodiles because of the net that catches them at Aswan. 

Took me 30-45 minutes and after I did the swim through oil slicks and used sanitary products I was told by someone else that the net catches the larger ones but not the baby ones that get through and grow into adult crocodiles 🐊😟

The Nile must be a lot longer than I thought.

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

12 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Longer but not quite as bad thankfully. 

It was not even my suggestion. Out with an English couple for dinner the night before and he suggested it. He was Staying in a different hotel and when I agreed I never thought for a minute he would appear early the next morning (as agreed) in a boat ! 

We had to start half a mile up from the hotel because of the current. We ended up almost quarter of a mile past when done. 

The kind of thing you see on the news. Scottish tourist attacked by Crocodile.....Not the cleverest thing I have ever done. 

Visit Cairo. 

Was there on business and found everyone out and about to be an utter scumbag.  Even the taxi driver dropped me off at his brother's camel ride place rather than actually take me to the pyramids as requested.  Ended up being forced to get a horse to ride, via a crack in a giant wall that was bring guarded by a (clearly non-official) guy armed with a machine gun. 

Oh, and the government building beside my hotel went on fire and got burned to a crisp. 

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Visit Cairo. 

Was there on business and found everyone out and about to be an utter scumbag.  Even the taxi driver dropped me off at his brother's camel ride place rather than actually take me to the pyramids as requested.  Ended up being forced to get a horse to ride, via a crack in a giant wall that was bring guarded by a (clearly non-official) guy armed with a machine gun. 

Oh, and the government building beside my hotel went on fire and got burned to a crisp. 

The curse of Tutangrimbo...