Bairns v Doonhamers at the Bairnabeu

Had nil nil written all over it till a bit of magic from Spencer. Other than that we had loads of the ball but whilst Morrison had the left back on toast we had noone in the box other than MacIver trying to get on the end of his crosses.  We created most problems for ourselves with dithering about at the back . A couple of slack passes by long, a dreadful passbsck by McCann and another poor pass this time by hendo could easily have cost us . Hope mcguffies injury isn't serious but by god was he dreadful the period he was on.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip.

Late on, I was thinking we'd be within 4 points of the top, with Hamilton at home up next.

We were soon 7 points behind, looking at 3 straight defeats.

I think this might eventually be your year.  Hamilton is the only side capable of being a challenger.

Injuries might be as big a threat to our title aspirations as Hamilton tbh. We don't have a huge squad and are already missing a few. I think had Miller and Agyeman been playing today we'd have  been a totally different animal.  But yeah so far it looks like a two horse race between us and Accies, and if we are still neck and neck by the time we play them it should be an absolute cracker. 

Despite a few scares I was really not concerned about us conceding. I was more worried about us scoring.  QoS were well organised and I’m convinced they’ll be in the play offs. Shite game but nice to put one over the Tory journeymen from the borders. 😘

59 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Despite being the better side overall, Falkirk looked vulnerable on the counter-attack, and their defence looked shaky at times, but we never really looked like taking advantage.

The game (and the width of the pitch) looked tailor-made for Walker’s pace (Morrison was causing havoc on the right wing for the home team, and they were threatening down both flanks), and when it finally looked like Bartley  was going to bring him on, after getting him stripped and ready to come on with 15-20 mins to go, the manager dithered and hesitated, not knowing whether to stick or twist, looking like he was settling for a point (at one point Walker put his training bib back on). MacIntyre and Connelly were both having ‘mares (MacIntyre was posted missing on the left side of defence for much of the match, looking like a little boy lost, and almost nothing Connelly tried came off, often electing to take an extra touch when better options were available), and it was glaringly obvious both needed replaced with 30 to go, with the 3 points seemingly there for the taking, despite a sub par performance (we were slightly better in the second half).  When we did finally make the subs, Bartley hedged his bets by bringing on McKay too. Not sure bringing on McKay ever helps the defence all that much.

Falkirk deserved to win, given their overall dominance, but it felt like we gave them too much respect and set up the team too cautiously, scared to have a real go at them, or to let the game really open up. Perhaps understandable due to recent chaotic defensive efforts, but it feels like an opportunity missed. 

Tbh, I would partially agree that we might have issues against a proficient side that is designed to play on the break, but we are far more vulnerable to self inflicted defensive f**k ups than we are to breakaways.

L1 is L1 so I doubt that there is anyone sufficiently “better” to take full advantage, but we could easily have shipped three howlers on another day. It doesn’t matter who makes up the back four, we see the same mistakes repeatedly.

I think Spencer is clearly the player who makes the difference. Way more than anyone else, his absence would affect results.

100% agree with Bairnardo…….that goal felt absolutely huge, and for more than just the 3 points. It’s the kind of game where we generally let everyone down, but today, we didn’t. We simply have to keep it going though, and McGlynn must find a way (or a coach) who can fix that defence.

Thankfully Spencer found a way that didn’t involve the endless “give it to Morrison, cross, repeat” which was getting us absolutely nowhere.

Great result, and hopefully, a very key one.

Tbf, you could get make a case for Queens deserving to get beat simply for the time wasting and play acting alone. The two players who feigned injury only to suddenly pop back to their feet when Queens had possession were both worthy of yellow cards.

The ref wasn’t brilliant, but he did try to keep the game flowing, and didn’t make any outrageous decisions.

Anyone have a decent view of the Lawal trip in the box? Couldn’t really tell from the main stand.

46 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

A very fair assessment of the proceedings. Plenty of effort but a real lack of quality especially in the forward areas. First half we were pretty awful but we defended solidly especially Houston (why was he left out in favour of McKay/Logan earlier in season ) and Ambrose and the GK was really solid displaying good handling throughout the match. Our passing was really disjointed and quite how MB thinks he has the players to play out from the back, through the lines is a mystery to me. Ironically, our best chance in first half came from Falkirk over playing in their own final third when Reilly intercepted a loose ball.

I was disappointed to see Todd benched - when he came on he was easily our best midfielder. Mimnaugh was lost before his unfortunate injury and Cochrane was continually caught in possession. Connelly and McKechnie offered next to nothing by way of support to Reilly who tried hard and generally did well ploughing a lone furrow. Both guys were constantly caught in possession and continually picked the wrong option.

Second half - we did better and defence was coping pretty well with the Falkirk attack except Morrison who was a constant danger. It made no sense to me for MB to completely re-shape our defence to accommodate the substitution of McIntyre. We moved Houston into RWB to allow Paul McKay to come on and moved Logan to LWB. Surely he could have put Walker on for McIntyre in a "like for like "basis and kept the central defence the same?? Late goal duly arrived when it looked very unlikely.

Overall a disappointing result. Some good individual displays - GK, Houston, Ambrose, Todd and Reilly but not enough quality in midfield and forward areas. 

^^^This.

Connelly had a shocker today and although I'm so far not a fan of Walker's as has been previously mentioned I'd have had him on a  lot sooner. I'd also have had Hutchinson on to give Reilly some assistance and asked some more questions of their defence that didn't look great.

His had was forced a little today with the injuries but I was a little disappointed with Bartley and his dithering over the late subs which could/should have been made earlier. 

As for the officials!

8 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Tbf, you could get make a case for Queens deserving to get beat simply for the time wasting and play acting alone. The two players who feigned injury only to suddenly pop back to their feet when Queens had possession were both worthy of yellow cards.

The ref wasn’t brilliant, but he did try to keep the game flowing, and didn’t make any outrageous decisions.

Anyone have a decent view of the Lawal trip in the box? Couldn’t really tell from the main stand.

No penalty for me

6 minutes ago, bod said:

^^^This.

Connelly had a shocker today and although I'm so far not a fan of Walker's as has been previously mentioned I'd have had him on a  lot sooner. I'd also have had Hutchinson on to give Reilly some assistance and asked some more questions of their defence that didn't look great.

His had was forced a little today with the injuries but I was a little disappointed with Bartley and his dithering over the late subs which could/should have been made earlier. 

As for the officials!

I actually thought our entire defence played well today. They were gritty and Efe Mom. Falkirk were the better team and narrowly deserved to win with their winger Morrison overall Mom. Gutted to lose so late. Our midfield never got going with McGuffie shocking before his injury, Reegan going off and Cochrane not really at it. Logan, McKechnie and Connolly really poor. I really admire Reillys doggedness. Looked better when Todd came in. Unlucky when we hit the bar and Cochrane should have scored from their keepers boob. Todd good when he came on. 

Tough place to come and expected a defeat as Falkirk look to be championship material. No criticism for me of Bartleys selection and remember with 2 sub breaks he had to be sure he was doing the right thing for his final batch of subs. It’s worked before bringing McKay on but personally I wouldn’t ever play him again as he is a disaster. 

Onwards and upwards. We will finish 3rd or 4th. Mediocre start to the season but the Alloa and Montrose games have hurt us much more than this. Need a win against Hamilton. 

I will be on a foreign ocean for next two weeks but with fingers crossed…..

10 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Mediocre start to the season but the Alloa and Montrose games have hurt us much more than this. Need a win against Hamilton.

The Alloa and Montrose games meant we couldn't afford to lose today.

Then we did.

It's poor that we're yet again mid-table down here.  I fear we need to start getting used to it.

11 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I actually thought our entire defence played well today. They were gritty and Efe Mom. Falkirk were the better team and narrowly deserved to win with their winger Morrison overall Mom. Gutted to lose so late. Our midfield never got going with McGuffie shocking before his injury, Reegan going off and Cochrane not really at it. Logan, McKechnie and Connolly really poor. I really admire Reillys doggedness. Looked better when Todd came in. Unlucky when we hit the bar and Cochrane should have scored from their keepers boob. Todd good when he came on. 

Tough place to come and expected a defeat as Falkirk look to be championship material. No criticism for me of Bartleys selection and remember with 2 sub breaks he had to be sure he was doing the right thing for his final batch of subs. It’s worked before bringing McKay on but personally I wouldn’t ever play him again as he is a disaster. 

Onwards and upwards. We will finish 3rd or 4th. Mediocre start to the season but the Alloa and Montrose games have hurt us much more than this. Need a win against Hamilton. 

I will be on a foreign ocean for next two weeks but with fingers crossed…..

Your team was by far the best opposition we have faced so far. Your defence coped well with most of our attacks apart from Morrisons runs  Unfortunately for us we did not have Agyeman or Miller in the box for Morrisons crosses - when they did land in the box!

I'm sorry to say I can see Martindales influence on Marvin's coaching. Time wasting, play acting,in the referees face all the time anything to try and break up play of opposition. Dull game, we were flat, QOS were very poor. That being said job done 3 points and a surprising clean sheet

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Alloa and Montrose games meant we couldn't afford to lose today.

Then we did.

It's poor that we're yet again mid-table down here.  I fear we need to start getting used to it.

Thing is, what is mid table in such small leagues? That gets you on the fringes of a play-off spot and look at Queens Park!

8 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Thing is, what is mid table in such small leagues? That gets you on the fringes of a play-off spot and look at Queens Park!

Well yeah, it keeps you in the hunt for promotion.  However, as you know, the odds aren't great.  

Queen's Park's circumstances are a little different from ours.  

It's galling that we're so far out of the title picture already.  I'd no real expectation of winning it, but involvement a little later than this might have been fun.