The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lost his passport, aye? Be some laugh (for all of us) if he was some random Slovakian bloke chancing it. A sort of goalkeeping Ali Dia if you will.

Give how this has gone so far I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if that turned out to be true to be brutally honest.

Lost his passport, aye? Be some laugh (for all of us) if he was some random Slovakian bloke chancing it. A sort of goalkeeping Ali Dia if you will.

Give how this has gone so far I wouldn't even be slightly surprised if that turned out to be true to be brutally honest.

Who was the guy Bo who did the rounds in the 90s? Pal told me the other night he would go about getting trials and when he secured a contract a different guywould turn up to play... any rubbernecking Morton fans mind falling for this?

24 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Had his passport stolen :lol:

Guaranteed this is part of a hidden camera show. I hope he has massive haggis hands.

Fucksake I'm now going to have the fear until his first save tonight now! Given our season so far it would surprise nobody if you were both right. 

6 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Who was the guy Bo who did the rounds in the 90s? Pal told me the other night he would go about getting trials and when he secured a contract a different guywould turn up to play... any rubbernecking Morton fans mind falling for this?

I'm too young to actually remember the games he played in, but yes, Andre Boe did play three games for us in 1995/96. David Wylie got injured so Boe came in for a game at home to Dumbarton, which we won 2-0. Clean sheet, no harm done...

Until he played again three days later away to Dundee United, who we were in a title race with, and lost 4-0. Then again three days after that away to Dunfermline, who were also our title rivals, and lost 4-1. We missed out on second place and the promotion playoff to Dundee United on goal difference at the end of the season. I'm sure there were rumours that it was actually his brother we had, and also there was something about Wylie being fit for the Dunfermline game but McGraw choosing to persist with Boe anyway, but you'd have to check with an older Morton fan for the finer details. @AyrshireTon?

2 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

So we really only sign 1 keeper as the other is on amateur terms and therefore can't play league first team matches.

Amateur...kind of sums up our club at the moment!

Rory has only just turned 18, and was signed as 4th choice keeper back when we already had a fit Cuthbert, Lennox & Brennan on the books (remember that time? :-)):

http://www.raithrovers.net/raithtv?vid=659 - 9 minutes in explains why Rory had to be signed as an amateur

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm too young to actually remember the games he played in, but yes, Andre Boe did play three games for us in 1995/96. David Wylie got injured so Boe came in for a game at home to Dumbarton, which we won 2-0. Clean sheet, no harm done...

Until he played again three days later away to Dundee United, who we were in a title race with, and lost 4-0. Then again three days after that away to Dunfermline, who were also our title rivals, and lost 4-1. We missed out on second place and the promotion playoff to Dundee United on goal difference at the end of the season. I'm sure there were rumours that it was actually his brother we had, and also there was something about Wylie being fit for the Dunfermline game but McGraw choosing to persist with Boe anyway, but you'd have to check with an older Morton fan for the finer details. @AyrshireTon?

All spot on.

At Tannadice Scott McArthur got torn a new one in the opening 20 minutes by Robbie Winters and was hooked because his next mis-timed tackle would have seen him off. Peter Cormack Junior kept Winters slightly quieter (it was 3-0 by that point). Hard to judge Boe on that game because we were totally outplayed, but the previous game against Dumbarton he was getting plenty of verbals from the like of John Anderson because of his positioning.

East End park - he was a bit of a bombscare but in truth Dunfermline kicked us off the park (Lindberg and Hawke were carried off and Janne did not play again that season) - knowing they would play us again in a couple of weeks (the famous "Collins not giving the ball back game"). 

Here's the 4-1 defeat at EEP.

Edited by AyrshireTon

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

All spot on.

At Tannadice Scott McArthur got torn a new one in the opening 20 minutes by Robbie Winters and was hooked because his next mis-timed tackle would have seen him off. Peter Cormack Junior kept Winters slightly quieter (it was 3-0 by that point). Hard to judge Boe on that game because we were totally outplayed, but the previous game against Dumbarton he was getting plenty of verbals from the like of John Anderson because of his positioning.

East End park - he was a bit of a bombscare but in truth Dunfermline kicked us off the park (Lindberg and Hawke were carried off and Janne did not play again that season) - knowing they would play us again in a couple of weeks (the famous "Collins not giving the ball back game"). 

Here's the 4-1 defeat at EEP.

Is that the red tartan kit? Bit hard to tell because of the poor image quality. Safe to say players weren't afraid of a hard tackle back in the day going by that video :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

he is a man who is well remembered down Starks Park way, he could head a ball

Won us the league at home to Berwick and did he not save us from relegation with a vital goal away to Alloa one season? Not bad for a Parsy hoor.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Won us the league at home to Berwick and did he not save us from relegation with a vital goal away to Alloa one season? Not bad for a Parsy hoor.

Wasn't that Paul tosh who scored in that game against Alloa? We did get relegated when Smith played with us anyway. I remember him hitting the post at love Street in a 0-0 draw and pretty sure that was the day our relegation was confirmed. Your right about Berwick game though and he was a good player for us. Think a lot of fans were unhappy with his signing but he won everyone over.